Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Wedding togs. Help!

User_Removed 7 1.5k 1
1 Dec 2007 12:45PM
I have posted an example wedding photo in my portfolio and would like advice on how to improve. This photowas taken at f2.8 at 1/640 sec at 28mm on my 24-70mm f2.8 L lens and it is not sharp. this lens seems to perform well at around 35mm at f5.6 for full length 2 people portraits but i dont seem to have mastered larger groups. Can any one advise on what i need to do to aquire a professional standard group portrait. I know i should have used a smaller aperture but what aperture? is there a better focal length to use to get everone in focus. What am i doing wrong. I have been told that it takes a special talent to focus this lens properly. kind regards james

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
1 Dec 2007 1:05PM
well I'd probably close down a few stops and lower the shutter speed to make sure the people are sharp from nose to tail Smile

the people just seem to be stood there ramdomly, maybe best to try and organise them a little better - take a look at other wedding shots for tips.

longer focal lenths - 70 on that lens - would be more flattering than 28mm, they just are.

tripod.... if yo're at 1/200th, may not need it, but hell, it's always steadier than by hand and people will see the tripod and know you mean business.
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
1 Dec 2007 1:25PM
ian walker e2
10 716 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2007 4:55PM
why select f2.8 and 1/640s

you could have stopped down the lens to f8 and still had an OK shutter speed.

What iso did you select.

It worries me that you are taking peoples money for portraits and having to ask these questions to be brutely honest.
croberts e2
10 2.2k 8 Ireland
1 Dec 2007 5:17PM

Quote:I have been told that it takes a special talent to focus this lens properly.

its all in the half press of the shutter button. It's a talent some people are born with. but i believe that with hard work and dedication, almost anyone could make it happen....

Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Dec 2007 5:31PM
James I really feel your not up to weddings, not by a long shot as yet. Leave the dslr at home and take a point and shoot, your results will more than likely be better. Go as a guest and watch how the pro`s work.

In the mean time try taking in some of the advice offered.

Have a look at this getting started section, it will answer a lot of your questions.

here
User_Removed 7 1.5k 1
1 Dec 2007 5:33PM

Quote:It worries me that you are taking peoples money for portraits and having to ask these questions to be brutely honest.

Im not taking anyones money for thes portriats. I get paid for doing kids portraits and i am sure you shall agree that with the portraits in my portfolio i produce a good standard. i am not a wedding photographer as yet and have uploaded one of my not so good pics to get advice. im not trying to sell it. james
agoreira 11 6.0k Wales
1 Dec 2007 5:55PM

Quote: I get paid for doing kids portraits and i am sure you shall agree that with the portraits in my portfolio i produce a good standard.

Sadly, I'd have to disagree. I'm no portrait photographer, but the few I looked at, looked quite bland, quite soft, and lacking in contrast. But the important thing is, you're getting paid for them.
ian walker e2
10 716 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2007 6:43PM
tell me james, when you took the picture at f2.8 why did you choose to use that aperture?
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2007 7:34PM
The 24/70 lens has a reputation in professional circles as to giving inconsistent focusing; I have long given up on this lens and I use a prime which exacts far more detail and gives much sharper and consistent focus. Although I use the 24L and 35L/1.4s, the 35/2 and 24/2.8 would still (IMO) give better results at a lesser price.
Your group demands an aperture of around f/5.6; f/2.8 in this case would give far too shallow a DOF. If you must use a zoom consider the 24/105 or the 17/40 both of which (IMO) are much better lenses in terms of consistent sharpness and more than adequate for recording detail..
As to composition I would strongly suggest looking at how others do group pictures; there are some good books out on the subject; the various organisations run seminars, as for arranging groups the finest tutor on this classic aspect of wedding photography I have come across is Martin Grahame-Dunn of the SWPP.
Rgds. Peter
mark_delta e2
7 1.3k
1 Dec 2007 7:45PM
I dumped the 24-70 for the 24-105is and my honest opinion is that the 24-105 hammers it for quality and that extra 35 mm means you can pull back a bit for a more flattering shot.
I have never had a bad shot from the 24-105, its very bright and it has a good sharpness from corner to corner, my 24-70 was of little use until you got past f4 anyway, it was just to soft for my liking and if I need a shallow dof then the 50mm 1.8 is the tool for the job anyway
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Dec 2007 8:51PM

Quote:I dumped the 24-70 for the 24-105is and my honest opinion is that the 24-105 hammers it for quality and that extra 35 mm means you can pull back a bit for a more flattering shot

Well thats really going to help James, he`ll want a new lens now Smile
User_Removed 7 1.5k 1
1 Dec 2007 8:57PM
I think i might change to primes. Perhaps a 35mm f2 i like this focal length and maybe get something wider as well if they are going to focus better. i may also pick up a second hand sigma 24-70mm. what does everyone think. james
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Dec 2007 8:59PM
Well what have you already got James ? don`t go splashing out just yet.
User_Removed 7 1.5k 1
1 Dec 2007 9:06PM
My equipment consists of

5D Body
24-70mm f2.8 L
85mm prime
70-200mm f4 non is

i am considering 35mm f2 and 50mm f1.4

james

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.