Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Weddings? 50mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
25 Oct 2012 - 9:32 PM

I used a 50mm 1.8 lens at a wedding last weekend and got some decent results. I am now considering a 50mm 1.4 but have read reviews that say its image quality is very poor wide open so am wondering if there is any point in getting it as the whole purpose of buying it would be for its light gathering abilitys that are better than the 1.8. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2012 - 9:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

While the bokeh and shallow DOF created by shooting at f/1.4 can be very effective and flattering in portraits, its not always suitable for wedding photography.

With such a shallow DOF, if your focus is out by the smallest degree, the wrong area of the face will be thrown out of focus. Obviously in a lot of cases you might want to blur the background, but shooting at 1.4 could cause you more troubles than its worth.

That said, a 50mm 1.4 (not sure which brand you are referring to) is a pretty good little lens. As is an 85mm (or there abouts) portrait lens

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
25 Oct 2012 - 9:49 PM

Its canon i am refering to. i recently used a 85mm 1.8 lens to photograph a wedding ceremony and i used it at f2.5 with quite pleasing results. I have also got a 28mm 1.8 getting delivered this week so feel that it would be good to have a 50mm of better build quality but am worried that the photos may not be usable if i use it at f1.4.

779HOB
779HOB  21014 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Oct 2012 - 10:02 PM

I use a Nikon 50mm 1.4 a lot and love it. It's pretty much my standard lens.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 10:21 PM

Lucian, if your a wedding photographer you should already know what is the best lens to use Smile.

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
25 Oct 2012 - 10:25 PM

Quote: Lucian, if your a wedding photographer you should already know what is the best lens to use Smile.

How would i know iif i have never used the lens i am asking about?

Wedding Photographer? Me? Since when?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 10:33 PM

Quote: Lucian, if your a wedding photographer you should already know what is the best lens to use

Can we start to just agree that some people disagree with Lucian, his photography and his questions. It's starting to become a ball ache. The question is a good one and one that many people of different levels will not know the answer to, so please let's forget who asked and consider anyone wanting to know advice about that type of lens. These threads get picked up in search engines...and it's a common question. Thanks to those who've answered.

An f/1.4 lens is 2/3rd stop faster than a f/1.8 but is generally softer when used wide open. That said the slightly softer and minimal depth of field are things that appeal. Also it's easier to focus in low light if you like manual focusing, and that minimal depth of field is really cool. I like using super fast lenses. They are heavier and more expensive though.

Last Modified By Pete at 25 Oct 2012 - 10:34 PM
monkeygrip
25 Oct 2012 - 10:56 PM

I use the canon 50mm f1.4 on every portrait shoot and at some point during every single wedding.

As Pete says some lenses if not all of them including this one are not the best performers wide open but I absolutely love it at f2.8 and have to say it is the least expensive yet most used lens in my bag.

I would say if you do plan to use it wide open the shallow depth of field leaves very little margin for error and maybe a wedding is not the best place to practice.

Last Modified By monkeygrip at 25 Oct 2012 - 10:57 PM
scottishphototours

Your first and only consideration is if the client will enjoy the results you'll produce with these lenses at an aperture like f1.4.

The faster f1.4 lens will give you as the photographer a bright viewfinder image, resulting in better AF performance too. However the very narrow depth of focus will generally result in an image that may not appeal to your client, with disastrous results, unless you're using it sporadically for a particular effect which you've shown your client beforehand.

Used carefully on things like menus, dress detail, flowers, favours etc, the f1.4 could be fabulous but I wouldn't use it for portraits at f1.4 because of the very shallow depth of focus.

GlennH
GlennH  91899 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2012 - 11:30 PM

The 50mm and 85mm f/1.2 lenses have the best reps for wide open performance, but as opined it'd be a risky business to shoot too many pictures with very fast lenses at a wedding. Both of the faster 50mm lenses and I think the 85mm lenses too have 8 diaphragm blades, whereas the 50mm f/1.8 you've been using has 5, which contributes to its notoriously poor bokeh.

Using fast lenses at wide apertures introduces other problems, too, including axial CA, which becomes very noticeable in today's high res files. I'm not sure how much of a real-world problem that is for most wedding photographers, but it's always a consideration for my purposes.

The point of upgrading to an f/1.4 might not be the obvious one of shooting at a wider aperture - the fast 50mm lenses tend to improve very quickly as you stop down, so at f/2 you have a lens that benefits from much better bokeh and optimised sharpness whilst still letting in plenty of light.

Last Modified By GlennH at 25 Oct 2012 - 11:32 PM
thewilliam
25 Oct 2012 - 11:55 PM

Lucian, it all comes down to which f1.4 standard lens you're using and the best ones aren't made by either Nikon or Canon!

You have a choice of the 58mm Voigtländer Nokton, which is quite expensive, the 50mm Zeiss ZE, which is very expensive or the 50mm Leica Summilux via an adapter which is extremely expensive. In terms of quality, you get what you pay for.

The whole point of getting an f1.4 is to use it wide open where the number of blades in the iris would be irrelevent. Stopping down is done only to get extra depth of field because good quality lenses perform very well when wide open.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314996 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:09 AM

Quote: the whole point of getting an f1.4 is to use it wide open where the number of blades in the iris would be irrelevent

At a wedding, all well and good for the arty look, but its not going to be everyone`s cup off tea, the main reason for a faster lens is for a brighter viewfinder in poor light.

Iris blades, the more the better unless the blades are curved.

strawman
strawman  1022004 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:13 AM

I hear the sigma 50mm lens has very good out of focus performance.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314996 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:19 AM

Yes I think Sigma use curved aperture blades.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:31 AM

Thanks everyone for keeping this about photography and not vendettas or personal gripes. That's what this site should be about. Let's keep it that way. Some really good answers and meaningful to anyone who has that f/1.8 or f/1.4 conundrum. Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.