Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Weddings. Do you give the couple all the images.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

barnowl
barnowl  9697 forum posts
31 Oct 2012 - 7:20 PM

This is just a request for a bit of info from those of you that do wedding photography as a business. I don't photograph weddings and never will. This question has arisen from comments two of my young work colleagues made after their own weddings.

They both employed different professional wedding photographers and in general were happy with the results and albums that they got back. An odd comment about the photographer not taking some images that they had requested.

The biggest gripe however was that after spending a substantial amount of money the photographer would not give them all the images on CD or DVD afterwards. I have explained to them that the copyright stays with the photographer unless otherwise agreed and he/she is under no obligation to provide the images to them.

However I can see their point also. The photographers have made their money so could give them the images. Notwithstanding the copyright issue.

What do you guys do..

Regards

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Oct 2012 - 7:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
31 Oct 2012 - 7:44 PM

I wouldn't want a customer to get any duff image. So some must be deleted.

One colleaguie used to give all the images until one malicious customer decided to make up a collection of the worst images and posted them on Facebook. Highly embarrassing for him and it made me glad that I always deleted the duffers when I used to do weddings.

ourdayphotos
31 Oct 2012 - 7:49 PM

Depending on what package the customer opts for will decide how many images they get. I shoot all my wedding in RAW so I then spend the next few days after the wedding selecting the best 100 or 200 pics to edit & make finished jpegs for their CD. There is no way I would spend the time converting the 600-1000 RAWs I shoot into jpeg so they could get all the images that were taken that day, many of the shots are doublers or duff shots which are taken for my benefit to allow me to select the best, quantity isn't quality when it comes to wedding photos!

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
31 Oct 2012 - 8:17 PM

Quote: Depending on what package the customer opts for will decide how many images they get. I shoot all my wedding in RAW so I then spend the next few days after the wedding selecting the best 100 or 200 pics to edit & make finished jpegs for their CD. There is no way I would spend the time converting the 600-1000 RAWs I shoot into jpeg so they could get all the images that were taken that day, many of the shots are doublers or duff shots which are taken for my benefit to allow me to select the best, quantity isn't quality when it comes to wedding photos!

All I could add is at their request they can have all images so that they see the time spent presenting the best of the day.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 8:38 PM

I have had the request a couple of times but have and will always refuse and find it just a little rude to be honest after putting in 12 hours of work editing that someone would ask you to then give them half a job , editing is part of the production process and you wouldn't ask your baker for an unbaked loaf or your mechanic to give you the parts to fix your car , why expect any different from a professional photographer ? The raw shots are just that .. raw !

And i completely agree with the above comment too on some individuals being quite happy to find the worst shots ( and all photographers produce some bad shots ) and then publish them.

I provide on average 400 + edited pro shots from a wedding all of which are of a high standard and if that's not enough i don't know what is.

Andrew Davies

pulsar69
31 Oct 2012 - 8:40 PM

I would add however - did the photographers in question refuse to give them ANY shots on disk ? or ALL shots on disk , two different things

monkeygrip
31 Oct 2012 - 8:55 PM

I always add a copyright shared disk with all the images from the day into the wedding packages.

There are some images amongst them that I would not want anyone but the couple seeing but the quality of the image comes second to the content and it means a lot to the couple when I explain this.

I make it clear that it is a for your eyes only file. If then they chose to create a malicious file on Facebook or anywhere else I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and probably post a nice image of the bride before I had removed her moustache in PS hahaha.

I allow the couple to share the copyright but with strict restrictions on publishing and printing.

Eviscera
Eviscera  81097 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2012 - 9:19 PM

Quote: before I had removed her moustache in PS

Classic ! pmsl Monkey Smile

Aint that the truth ..

scottishphototours

We offer high res discs to buy or low res ones free.

pulsar69
31 Oct 2012 - 11:25 PM

Quote: There are some images amongst them that I would not want anyone but the couple seeing but the quality of the image comes second to the content and it means a lot to the couple when I explain this.

A little lost with this comment, the bride and groom are the employers and the most important people of the day so why would you be providing them with shots you wouldn't want anyone else to see ? I would have thought you would want the content and quality of all the shots provided would be of the utmost importance ?

I can understand that if the shots are a little risque or embarrassing in any way letting the b&g see them and decide makes sense.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123860 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 8:17 AM

One or two of my packages include a disk of high res images if not the couple can buy them; as for shots that could be risque, embarrassing or just plain incompetent I firstly try not to take them (i.e. edit in the viewfinder like we used to do with film; I am not an advocate of the machine gun approach) then if such find their way as far as L/R they are deleted; also I tell the couple I will delete anything that is potentially embarrassing or any images that I have taken as test shots.

Peter.

Spencer1966
1 Nov 2012 - 9:07 AM

never give or show any images that are not too the standard you wish to portray - simples Grin

mikehit
mikehit  46182 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 9:10 AM

Quote: editing is part of the production process and you wouldn't ask your baker for an unbaked loaf

They sell them in supermarkets.
Some photographers do packages where they set the shot up and give the client the rawfile to edit themselves. Digital gives so many options for niche products so you pick the one that works for you.

I don't see this as a copyright issue because copyright stays with the photographer no matter what happens (unless they specifically sign it away). It is more with what level the photographer wants to control distribution of photographs to either protect his revenue stream or to protect his reputation. As you see, there are as many answers as there are photographers and each will work and price to give them the income they need. My view would be that the photographer will take sereval hundred images and I am paying him to sort out the rubbish, leaving me a comfortable number to look at.
The basic issue here is that the punter believes (a) digital photography is so easy - just fire away and print them off at Jessops and (b) a prevailing view of 'I've paid for it therefore it is mine'.

Before our wedding, the contract wiht the photographer explained what we would get: something like XX proofs to review (of course he took more, but chose the best), album with YY images plus one image 18x12.
Do people not do that with digital?

timbo
timbo  11591 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Nov 2012 - 9:24 AM

I think it's less about copyright and more about protecting your professional persona. If you provide sub standard images (and we all take them no matter how good we think we are) you are de-valueing your service. My T's and C's clearly state they get an edited disc of images (if they question it i tell them i remove duplicates, blinks etc.).

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51178 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 10:30 AM

We were asked once and the groom was quite persistent about it. In the end we had to be quite firm and explained that we never handed over images that were sub standard or duplicates and we were not prepared to spend all the extra hours working on these raw files. I think it all stems from having compact cameras and cameras on mobiles that somehow people want to see a recreation of every second of a night out or party or whatever. You only have to look at FB to see images that, quite frankly, are just complete rubbish. But for the people involved they think they are brilliant!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.