Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Weddings. Do you give the couple all the images.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul_Anthony
5 Nov 2012 - 5:29 PM

Think I might just get myself an Instant Polaroid Camera.

Unprocessed, literally straight out of the camera photographs for everyone, no processing work for me... all I'll need is an Asda carrier bag to drop them all in as they pop out the front of the camera.. Job Done, every bodies happy.

The only thing I am struggling with is how much to charge. I'm thinking somewhere between 100 & 10,000.

Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Nov 2012 - 5:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56463 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 6:03 PM

Quote: Had one enquiry recently actually suggested they should pay less if they only had the files without the prints! It is up to us to educate our people about what they are actually paying for. .

Or for the photographer to listen to the client and understand what the client wants to pay for. And the photographer can refuse to provide those services.

Last Modified By mikehit at 5 Nov 2012 - 6:04 PM
collywobles
6 Nov 2012 - 3:44 PM

All files I charge at 250 for a CD on top of the wedding charge.

Lucian
Lucian  4561 forum posts
6 Nov 2012 - 6:14 PM

Quote: All files I charge at 250 for a CD on top of the wedding charge.

Thats how much i charge as well.

boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 6:10 PM

Never ever show them all the pics, only the ones that have been retouched. ALWAYS present your best stuff and present it well. Also remember that every picture is showcasing YOU - if you want to viewed as competent you need to come across as competent, not underexposed, skeewiff angles and blinkers.

monkeygrip
14 Dec 2012 - 12:54 PM

Quote: Never ever show them all the pics, only the ones that have been retouched. ALWAYS present your best stuff and present it well. Also remember that every picture is showcasing YOU - if you want to viewed as competent you need to come across as competent, not underexposed, skeewiff angles and blinkers.

I have to disagree a little, if you are trying to show the couple the standard of your work to win the booking then I do agree but not every great image is in focus not every emotion filled image happens in light you can control.

The very few below standard images I do give to the couple mean more to them than my ego means to me. If you have set up the shot and it isnt spot on then you are not a wedding photographer yet.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2012 - 1:45 PM

Quote: I always add a copyright shared disk with all the images from the day into the wedding packages.

There are some images amongst them that I would not want anyone but the couple seeing but the quality of the image comes second to the content and it means a lot to the couple when I explain this.

I make it clear that it is a for your eyes only file. If then they chose to create a malicious file on Facebook or anywhere else I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and probably post a nice image of the bride before I had removed her moustache in PS hahaha.

I allow the couple to share the copyright but with strict restrictions on publishing and printing.

I worked for a time as a Hairdresser, and did a few wedding updo's, one of the funniest moments came when a potential bride client came for a try out updo and brought her friend along, as i was working ( very hard on massively over processed bleached blonde hair) she started discussing a bit of a problem with her mate,

she- "See me dress is backless an all, an so it'll show all the names"
Her mate- " Wot the ones you ad tattooed down yer back arter you an xxxx split up ?"
She- "yeah an xxxx is allright wiv it nah we're back together, but see, coz we'd split for a while, theirs three names arter his "
Her mate " Av you tried wearin a tee shirt or sumink under it ?"
She- " me mam said it dunt look right,"
Her mate " well then ask the photographer to switch em arround so as xxxx's name is last, they do loads of that stuff"
She- "Yeah I like that, it'll look well romantik"
Her mate " Wot made you do it anyways"
She- " Beyonce"
Her mate " Oh yeah she was all for that till she got married"

It would make my day if it was one of the togs on here that fielded that request Grin

boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2012 - 2:28 PM

Quote: Never ever show them all the pics, only the ones that have been retouched. ALWAYS present your best stuff and present it well. Also remember that every picture is showcasing YOU - if you want to viewed as competent you need to come across as competent, not underexposed, skeewiff angles and blinkers.

I have to disagree a little, if you are trying to show the couple the standard of your work to win the booking then I do agree but not every great image is in focus not every emotion filled image happens in light you can control.

The very few below standard images I do give to the couple mean more to them than my ego means to me. If you have set up the shot and it isnt spot on then you are not a wedding photographer yet.

That's not quite what I was driving at....weddings happen at pace so yes I agree, the odd shot won't be composed perfectly, may have a little shake etc. What I'm referring to is this trend amongst weekend warriors to burn every last shot they take straight from card to disc. Granted, SOME under/over exposed shots can be saved but why give a couple 4 seperate frames of the same group shot (for instance) when one of those shots has a couple of people blinking on them? It's lazy and amateurish.

adyj
adyj  530 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Dec 2012 - 8:25 PM

Quote: Quote: Had one enquiry recently actually suggested they should pay less if they only had the files without the prints! It is up to us to educate our people about what they are actually paying for. .

Or for the photographer to listen to the client and understand what the client wants to pay for. And the photographer can refuse to provide those services.

I do - and I do!

thewilliam
14 Dec 2012 - 9:09 PM

When I used to do weddings, one enquirer asked if she could have the digital files. When I replied that the preparation work on the computer was the expensive part and the cost of actually printing the images was incidental, she then asked if she could have un-retouched files at an even lower price because they had a copy of Photoshop at home. A Pugwash copy, of course!

PSILVERMAN
2 Jan 2013 - 6:38 AM

Quote: We offer high res discs to buy or low res ones free.

Ditto!

Jellyfire
Jellyfire  241 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 7:09 AM

I think the average consumer just has no knowledge of the processing work that goes into it. They all have phones and digital cameras that shoot reasonably good quality shots with no post work, so if they are paying a professional 1k or however much and he has a big impressive looking SLR, they are naturally going to assume all the photos will come out as the finished article.

How many new members (and old come to that) do you see on here who don't have any idea of shooting RAW, or why you would do it. It's only natural for the consumer to want all the shots, it's probably the one and only time they'll ever employ a photographer, so it all seems very expensive to them (as do most wedding related services), they know you won't do anything else with them so will struggle to understand why they can't just have them. It may get tedious but I would think the photographer needs to explain how they work and why before each job to avoid it cropping up afterwards.

Last Modified By Jellyfire at 2 Jan 2013 - 7:10 AM
Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 9:36 AM

Quote: That's not quite what I was driving at....weddings happen at pace

If it becomes essential to slow down and concentrate llike we had to do with film, unlike the 10,000 odd shots that I read about these days, then why not do so and just take 5000? If you only take 5000 and find that 'weddings at a pace' cause some lost photographs, then why not just take 1000? Blimey in the old days we took between 36 and 50 pics and managed extremely well, after all how many pictures do you actually mount in an album these days? I bet it is not more than 36 at say 8" x 6".

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 12:46 PM

Quote: That's not quite what I was driving at....weddings happen at pace

If it becomes essential to slow down and concentrate llike we had to do with film, unlike the 10,000 odd shots that I read about these days, then why not do so and just take 5000? If you only take 5000 and find that 'weddings at a pace' cause some lost photographs, then why not just take 1000? Blimey in the old days we took between 36 and 50 pics and managed extremely well, after all how many pictures do you actually mount in an album these days? I bet it is not more than 36 at say 8" x 6".

You are presuming that digital wedding shooters don't concentrate , there is a lot more concentration involved in shooting a reportage documentary style wedding than there ever was with the easy and slower set up shots of the old days , the results speak for themselves , old albums full of stale posed shots mounted and falling to bits ( in general not all ) whereas newer digital storybooks which on average take 100 images for around 50 pages or much more stylish with a much greater range of finish and product and will last longer than the old.

It is not essential to slow down , in the modern age of wedding photography speed is of the essence in catching those moments and only the very dedicated and highly concentrated can do that throughout a whole day and come out with maybe 500+ finished article shots which the b&g will love. Its not unusual to take 1500 shots throughout the day for us however i do think 10,000 or 5,000 is a bit overboard !! so will agree on that, that says to me that the photographer is shooting machine gun style instead of picking the moment by watching carefully and having the ability to be in the right place at the right time with a certain amount of foresight thrown in for good measure.

An example :
During the speeches the best man stands up and begins ... the unsure photographer will just blat away and take hundreds of shots
The experienced photographer will sit back and watch .. will know when people are going to laugh as he knows all the jokes ( head them all before ) will know when to expect glass raises and how to get candid of the right people ( again by watching peoples reactions and homing in on the best ones ) and will therefore be able to get all the best shots without wasting hundreds ..

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jan 2013 - 2:29 PM

Quote: 1. whereas newer digital storybooks which on average take 100 images for around 50 pages or much more stylish with a much greater range of finish and product and will last longer than the old.

An example :
2. During the speeches the best man stands up and begins ... the unsure photographer will just blat away and take hundreds of shots
The experienced photographer will sit back and watch .. will know when people are going to laugh as he knows all the jokes ( head them all before ) will know when to expect glass raises and how to get candid of the right people ( again by watching peoples reactions and homing in on the best ones ) and will therefore be able to get all the best shots without wasting hundreds ..

1. Quad erat demonstrandum (QED)
2. Yes and so did we older generation wedding photographers and our results were nothing like you describe. I still see some of my work in the old albums but still kept in pristine conditions. I doubt the new modern ones will last any longer, it all depends on how the album is treated by the recipients. As I said Q.E.D.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.