Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Weddings! Shoot and Burn Packages?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Lucian
Lucian  4541 forum posts
13 Sep 2012 - 9:42 PM

I would like to know if there are any photographers out there who do shoot and burn packages. By this i mean turning up at the wedding and photographing it, puting the un edited photos on to a usb stick and giving it to the couple.
I am shooting 3 weddings 3 days in a row this weekend and am getting to the point where i am sick of the work i am left with after each wedding and am considering doing shoot and burn packages to try and cut down on my workflow. I would like to know if anyone else is doing this and is there a market for it?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Sep 2012 - 9:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ourdayphotos
13 Sep 2012 - 9:54 PM

I've recently done it for a German couple who wanted full wedding photos with dramatic Scottish scenery in the bg, they were on their honeymoon & wanted surprise wedding pics for their families back in Germany, I didn't expect to turn up & find them in wedding dress & suit tho'. The deal was that I was to shoot in Raw & the groom would do his pics when he returned home. I gave him my CF card which he uploaded onto his laptop to take home. I also did a few shots on CD as they had a week before they returned home & were keen to see some pics. I later saw his attemps at photo editing (burnt out dress & skies etc). I had no work to do other than take pics but I wish I'd done all the processing too. This is one of mine.l-e20.jpg

Last Modified By ourdayphotos at 13 Sep 2012 - 9:54 PM
Lucian
Lucian  4541 forum posts
13 Sep 2012 - 9:58 PM

I dont know if many people know what to do with raw files so thought i would just do jpeg for this sort of package. The thought of just turning up and firing away and spending 10 minutes puting the photos on to a cd is begining to appeal to me. I want to free up some of my time during the week.

User_Removed
13 Sep 2012 - 10:28 PM

Ive done digital packages yes - but never given images on the day, Ive never given images that have not been adjusted and certainly none I am not 100% happy with. I turn the images around in 7-10 days and send in a presentation case. I do charge a large premium for images mind!!

If workflow is a problem - out source it? - I send all mine now to Lavalu. Why sit in front of a computer for hours when it costs as little as 16p per image for someone else to adjust.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 10:56 PM

' I want to free up some of my time in the week '

Realistically ? I spend most of my time all week editing photos , thats what my valued and paying clients pay me for, why my work looks good, why I get so many recommends, and why i can charge a decent price.

The whole ethos of shoot n burn although not my cup of tea actually fits well with your business model Lucian so I would say go for it. Why not.

Graysta
Graysta  91134 forum posts England
14 Sep 2012 - 6:38 AM

If the work from weddings gets in your way during the week I would say dont do them.
I think that cleaning images and presenting them to the couple is one of the best parts of it,if youve had uncle Tom and all hovering over your shoulder with their camera on the day this is the part that should make your images stand way out from theirs.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61182 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 8:28 AM

If you are shooting 3 weddings in a week then you must explain to your clients that they will have to wait for 10 days or so before the images are ready. I will spend a week processing all my images so they get the absolute best of my work. Shooting in Jpeg would not be something I consider. The bride will have gone to a lot of trouble with her dress, bridesmaids dresses and putting the whole wedding together. Jpegs can alter colours and be incredibly difficult to pull back afterwards and giving them the images straight from camera is highly likely to cause great disappointment. Unless you are very confident you can deliver perfect images, perfect colours with no need for any processing then that is fine. If not I would advise you proceed with great caution.

thewilliam
14 Sep 2012 - 8:33 AM

I'd always associated Gurn & Burn with the fag end of the market but that doesn't mean it can't be profitable.

Lucian
Lucian  4541 forum posts
14 Sep 2012 - 8:34 AM

Every so often i get enquiries from people who are maybe getting married for the second time and dont want to spend a lot of money on photos and i dont get the job because my packages are more expensive. I think that perhaps just doing a shoot and burn for these clients might be worth it as the monmey is better in my pocket as someone elses. The majority of cleints in the age range between late twentys and late thirtys want expensive wedding packages but there is a different attitude with very young couples and older couples who are getting married for the second time. I am thinking that there may be a market in churning out cheap shoot and burn packages.

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 8:46 AM

Quote: Every so often i get enquiries from people who are maybe getting married for the second time and dont want to spend a lot of money on photos and i dont get the job because my packages are more expensive. I think that perhaps just doing a shoot and burn for these clients might be worth it as the monmey is better in my pocket as someone elses. The majority of cleints in the age range between late twentys and late thirtys want expensive wedding packages but there is a different attitude with very young couples and older couples who are getting married for the second time. I am thinking that there may be a market in churning out cheap shoot and burn packages.

Yes but then you get associated with this type of work and will get more and more which will degrade your more expensive collections .

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 8:52 AM

I cannot get my head round why anyone would want this sort of service.
I spend a week all day every day adjusting around 500 images or more for the happy couple and put them in a pro Album presented in a case plus a dvd and if they go for the best package with me they get an 18"x24" or the other way on canvas.
I am getting more and more work and I believe it to be the service and quality I give. I could not see how your Idea is any different to friends and family shooting the couple over your shoulder.
Got to say in my opinion i don't like the Idea but then if your price reflects shooting and just sticking them on a USB stick then hey why not, out of interest how much are you thinking for this type of service.

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 9:22 AM

All you need is for there to be one bum photie in the collection. Someone chooses the one that you took accidentally of your feet, sticks it on the internut as an example of your work with a sarcastic caption and your business name - and your business is dead.

Surely it''s better to get 600 for one proper job in a week than to churn out three at 200 each.

scottishphototours

Quote: I am shooting 3 weddings 3 days in a row this weekend and am getting to the point where i am sick of the work i am left with after each wedding and am considering doing shoot and burn packages to try and cut down on my workflow.

You really have shown your true colours here Lucian. Uninterested in doing a proper job, you want to run and hide when the pressure gets high by doing shoot and burn's. This is nothing to do with freeing up your time or improving your workflow, it's to do with the fact you have suddenly realised that your business model stinks and that you haven't factored in the TRUE time required to do a proper job from start to finish. As a result you're spending an inordinate amount of time processing pics for which you're effectively being paid very little.

Faced with this situation, you're business response is to go to shoot and burn. You truly are a businessman in the mould of Derek Pye; he'd be very proud of you...

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123913 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 12:49 PM

I just hope that Lucian's clients aren't reading this thread and his attitude.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 3:01 PM

lol @ scottishphototours , and we were all trying to be diplomatic.

Fair enough , fact is I am happy people like Lucian exisit , it gives me things to talk about when I sell my service and explain to customers what to avoid and the pitfalls of cheap photography. Without the Lucians of this world doing there shoot n burns there would be no comparison for us hard working proud photographers to show people. It is a seemingly obvious fact from your previous threads Lucian that you were already doing shoot n burns from the little if any time you were spending on processing so im my opinion you might as well go down that road , no point in selling mutton as lamb as they say. You may well be able to survive with 2 or 3 shoot n burns a week in which case in the words of Bargain Hunts Tim Wannacott , ' and the very best of luck to you'.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.