Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Weddings! Shoot and Burn Packages?


CaptivePhotons 11 1.6k 2 England
15 Sep 2012 5:17PM

Quote:i.e. get it absolutely spot on in-camera, with no option to tweak later. Shooting JPEG of course.


Never having used film much and when I did I had it processed but isn't 'shoot and burn' pretty much akin to shooting with film?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
15 Sep 2012 7:05PM

Quote:i.e. get it absolutely spot on in-camera, with no option to tweak later. Shooting JPEG of course.

Never having used film much and when I did I had it processed but isn't 'shoot and burn' pretty much akin to shooting with film?



No. Definitely not.

Shoot and Burn means taking hundreds of exposures (in some cases without any skill or consideration) and then giving the unedited, unexamined un-anything else files to the mug punter on a stick or CD to do whatever they want (or can) with them.

In the days of film, a decent photographer would take the exposures, develop the film, examine the negatives, select the best, process them in the darkroom, dodging, burning, altering contrast, etc. etc., as necessary and then provide the respected client with a well selected series of proof prints from which further copies and variations could be ordered.

A very different scenario indeed.

I might sometimes, with tongue firmly in cheek, chide "professional photographers" for prostituting their art in order to make money from it. But even I hate to see hard-working guys, in any profession, have their business standards dragged down into the mire by the like of Lucian who, for over a year now, has been successfully taking the piss on this forum. The worry, of course, is that he is not only extracting the urine but actually believes some of the ***** he spouts.



.
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
15 Sep 2012 10:29PM
weddings are hard cause you're on your feet all day, being nice, concentrating and generally being the 1 person on "critical path" all day....

the photography's pretty easy really...

I don't know why everyone gets so hung up about it.... Anabelle Williams courses recommend using full auto settings on your cameras (an attendee of one of them told me this)
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Sep 2012 10:04AM

Quote:...... and generally being the 1 person on "critical path" all day....




You and the minister!
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2012 10:44AM
Not everyone has thousands to spend on a wedding, and contrary to some comments over the years not all brides spend thousands on a dress or the reception. Some people do have small budgets, the shoot and burn category would probably suit one sector but it wont interfere with the various brackets of existing wedding photography.

I took some pictures at a recent wedding and the jpegs in themselves are more than adequate, I was expecting it to be much harder than it was from forum threads on here but I actually found it quite easy, much easier than some other genres of photography anyway Grin

But maybe alot of how easy I found it may have been down to the people there, I suspect that some weddings may not be as laid back or calm. Grin
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
16 Sep 2012 11:45AM

Quote:I suspect that some weddings may not be as laid back or calm


I have the impression that the people, whose weddings Lucian photographs, can be a pretty rough lot; he has made reference to 'chav brides' or similar, as I recall? He has certainly spoken of his clients in terms verging on contempt.

This must inevitably have a psychological effect on his approach to the work, I would have thought. Also his willingness to improve his technique etc.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Sep 2012 4:51PM
Such fun.

Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
17 Sep 2012 10:11AM

Quote:...... and generally being the 1 person on "critical path" all day....



You and the minister!



I've never seen a minister present at the first dance Wink


Quote:Not everyone has thousands to spend on a wedding, and contrary to some comments over the years not all brides spend thousands on a dress or the reception. Some people do have small budgets, the shoot and burn category would probably suit one sector but it wont interfere with the various brackets of existing wedding photography.

I took some pictures at a recent wedding and the jpegs in themselves are more than adequate, I was expecting it to be much harder than it was from forum threads on here but I actually found it quite easy, much easier than some other genres of photography anyway Grin

But maybe alot of how easy I found it may have been down to the people there, I suspect that some weddings may not be as laid back or calm. Grin




You know what you're doing with a camera K, that's the difference Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
17 Sep 2012 10:20AM

Quote:I've never seen a minister present at the first dance


Oh I have............ and he was drunk. Grin
janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2012 3:10PM
Photographed a christening where the vicar was most definitely at the pub afterwards! He also made sure all the congregation were splashed with water when he performed the christening including me and my colleague. Fortunately the cameras didn't suffer too much. Top bloke! Grin
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Sep 2012 3:30PM
Surely the answer is to have a blue tooth enabled hard drive secreted beneath the wedding dress. End of day, turn off camera - job done. No chimping or you'll get a slap.
7 Oct 2012 8:26PM

Quote:I would like to know if there are any photographers out there who do shoot and burn packages. By this i mean turning up at the wedding and photographing it, puting the un edited photos on to a usb stick and giving it to the couple.
I am shooting 3 weddings 3 days in a row this weekend and am getting to the point where i am sick of the work i am left with after each wedding and am considering doing shoot and burn packages to try and cut down on my workflow. I would like to know if anyone else is doing this and is there a market for it?



this is a very common method of shooting a wedding in south africa,i have done plenty like this and i really do think its the way of the future.
i know it sounds ridiculous but most of the younger generation have a firm grasp of digital manipulation techniques,[if they want to crop an ugly sister out!] i always edit any closed eyes etc but as long as you get the shot right, like it was back in the day of colour neg and slide film!! you should have nothing to fear about giving a photo shoot away on the day or next day.
i found that many of the clients never got round to hanging anything on the wall, they were too busy feeding it to facebook, my space and other social networks,its all they want the pix for !!the parents and the rest of the family get sent a set via email,so its smiles all round.
its sad but becoming more of a reality every day.
for example,a woman at my wife's work is getting married and was quoted 1000,00 for her wedding pix,i believe that this include a "book" something which we dont do in south africa. anyway,to cut a long story shorter,i said i can shoot,load it on a cd and deliver the next day for 500.00 and then she can disperse via the net straight away......guess which option she chose ???
different strokes for different folks i guess.
there is a moral to the story there somewhere.
cameraman 11 227 1 England
7 Oct 2012 9:46PM

Quote:In the days of film, a decent photographer would take the exposures, develop the film, examine the negatives, select the best, process them in the darkroom, dodging, burning, altering contrast, etc. etc., as necessary and then provide the respected client with a well selected series of proof prints from which further copies and variations could be ordered.


Or, just as likely, send the exposed films to be D & P'd at a lab. Many such labs offered wedding packages for photographers.
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 12:57PM
If people want to shoot weddings and supply basic uncorrected shots the next day thats great by me as that makes all the more absolute rubbish wedding photos dotted about all over the net and facebook and makes us passionate photographers who spend the time on making things look right look even better next to them.

I wish all those shoot n burners well and please also paste your names all over the photos aswell so people can make an informed choice , have to say tho given the photo quality of cameras and phones these days the shoot n burns will look just the same as all the other guests photos on facebook ! In fact i bet some of the guests even make more effort than that ...
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 2:48PM

Quote:...... and generally being the 1 person on "critical path" all day....
You and the minister!



I remember a wedding I covered in the film days where the start was delayed because the Priest had failed to arrive. He was a member of Royal Liverpool Golf Club (Hoylake) and he duly arrived with his golf clubs in his boot along with his ministerial robes etc. which he hastily donned. It seems that the round that morning had been particularly slow. I chided him but he laughed and thought nothing of it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.