Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Weddings! Shoot and Burn Packages?

Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 2:57PM

Quote:Or, just as likely, send the exposed films to be D & P'd at a lab. Many such labs offered wedding packages for photographers.

I am sure they did, but like the 'poster' I always did my own. I knocked an outhouse and coal-shed adjoining our kitchen into one, lined the walls and ceiling with insualtion and plywood. Plumbed through from the kitchen into a Belfast sink and purpose built the worktops and cupboards beneath. the light switches allowed white light, red light ond no light on a three point switch system. I fitted an expelair fan into the wall with lightproof baffles and flock lined to avoid reflections and a filter in the lower part of the door to allow air in. A heavy curtain went over the door to avoid the chinks of light at the edges which of course made no difference when printing but just might have done when filling my developing tank spirals.

My wife liked it so much that I had to install a new kitchen to keep her happy, but what a dark-room that was.

The thing is though that I felt it better to be in control of deliveries, especially as some customers occasionally wanted a rapid turn round. Press work needed thyat as well so the idea was - do your own.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameraman e2
11 227 1 England
8 Oct 2012 4:44PM

Quote:I am sure they did, but like the 'poster' I always did my own

Back in the 70's when I did a lot of freelance work I had a darkroom at home but it was really only kitted out for monochrome, which was the majority of my work. Colour work was sent mainly to Colab, whose wedding service, from proofs to finished prints, was excellent.
lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 11:43AM
Among my favourite clients were German magazines, occasionally Der Stern, lots for Frau im Spiegel, Das Neue. You shot the feature/ story, phoned their London corr to tell them you'd finished and go home. They'd send a messenger round to your house to take your material films to Germany for processing.

Within two weeks the full payment and your expenses were paid by bank transfer into your bank account. This in the 80s! That's the shoot and burn I liked.

The Germans paid double what their British counterparts did and the Brit clients regularly took 3 months to pay, sometimes not paying you at all if they could get away with it.
Focus_Man 4 481 631 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 2:18PM

Quote:Among my favourite clients were German magazines, occasionally Der Stern, lots for Frau im Spiegel, Das Neue. You shot the feature/ story, phoned their London corr to tell them you'd finished and go home. They'd send a messenger round to your house to take your material films to Germany for processing.

Within two weeks the full payment and your expenses were paid by bank transfer into your bank account. This in the 80s! That's the shoot and burn I liked.

The Germans paid double what their British counterparts did and the Brit clients regularly took 3 months to pay, sometimes not paying you at all if they could get away with it.

Nice work that well done.
ren 4 11 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 4:04PM
As a photographer I would welcome decent shoot and burn (get RAW files) and then play with them later. I wish everyone would offer the option Smile
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2012 1:02AM
Shoot n Burn requires immense skill , something which Lucian is far from owning .
Paul_Anthony e2
2 386 4 Wales
13 Oct 2012 7:20AM
But he is about to get a new prime lens, it could well be the turning point in his career..

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.