Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Weekly B+W challenge ending on March 13th 2013

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
rambler
rambler e2 Member 5412 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2013 - 8:38 PM

I think we make a fine body.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Mar 2013 - 8:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gary66
Gary66  1158 forum posts England
9 Mar 2013 - 1:17 PM

Hi all,
I had time to get some shots this week to enter, but can I ask, can I use a sepia affect in this challenge, I scrolled through a few challenges that went before and found the odd shot in sepia mode that seemed to be accepted, just thought i'd check before deciding on my entry.
B Lucky.
Gary.

rambler
rambler e2 Member 5412 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2013 - 6:55 PM

Strictly speaking no as rule 4 states that all uploads should be black and white whereas sepia is monochromatic.
What do others think?

petebfrance
9 Mar 2013 - 7:21 PM

Quote: Hi all,
I had time to get some shots this week to enter, but can I ask, can I use a sepia affect in this challenge, I scrolled through a few challenges that went before and found the odd shot in sepia mode that seemed to be accepted, just thought i'd check before deciding on my entry.
B Lucky.
Gary.

Quote: Strictly speaking no as rule 4 states that all uploads should be black and white whereas sepia is monochromatic.
What do others think?

I uploaded one using sepia a while back and it told it was acceptable (but did not win Sad) on the grounds that a sepia effect photo had been accepted before. Actually, Gary questioned the use of any forms of photo manipulation later.
I think we need consistency here, and a statement adding to the rules on sepia effect specifically (and possibly other toning effects?).

shakeyhands
shakeyhands e2 Member 1234 forum postsshakeyhands vcard Canada
9 Mar 2013 - 9:26 PM

Hi all, Sepia is defined as brown to rusty in colour where as Black and White is just that Black and White c/w shades of grey. I have to agree with Rambler but I think that our illustrious leader (sorry JD Grin, I'll buy the drinks if/when I get over thereGrin) should give it the thumbs up or down. I do think petebfrance is right, we should have one clear rule on the definition of B+W. Just my tuppence worthGrinGrin

Shakey

Jestertheclown

I seem to recall this question once being asked of me, when I was the leader here and I think that the concensus was that it would be OK to use sepia, duo-tone etc.

I know that I uploaded at least one shot on which I used duo-tone.

That, however, was then and I'm no longer your illustrious leader, so yes, I'd get Jack to make a ruling upon it. Or perhaps let a democracy decide?

Bren.

DalesLass
DalesLass e2 Member 21710 forum postsDalesLass vcard United Kingdom
9 Mar 2013 - 9:50 PM

I uploaded a sepia for last weeks challenge because I had read a previous thread where it stated that it was okay. I think we do need clarity on this or we might unwittingly disqualify ourselves........

Jude

shakeyhands
shakeyhands e2 Member 1234 forum postsshakeyhands vcard Canada
9 Mar 2013 - 9:52 PM

Hi Jester, Or....we could simply leave well enough alone and let the judge for each week just choose the best shot in her/his opinion. Just thinkin' with my fingers on the keyboardGrin

Jude, Sepia or not your shot last week was outstandingGrin

Shakey

JawDborn
JawDborn e2 Member 2687 forum postsJawDborn vcard England
9 Mar 2013 - 10:01 PM

I seem to recall that the question of sepia being acceptable was posed in the b&w group some time ago, and it was deemed acceptable. This a democratic group!!!! I would be happy to accept monochrome, which would of course include sepia. Are other members happy with that? I suggest we accept monochrome this challenge, and make a decision based on members' opinions on Wednesday.

Jack

petebfrance
9 Mar 2013 - 10:05 PM

Just to clarify a point.
The reason I thought that using sepia 'toning' may be ok is that (well when i used it anyway) it's an attempt to imitate the effect of aging on old Black and White photos (I can't remember the details of how, why etc. and modern prints tend not to have the same problem). I'm not sure about any other sort of toning / colour etc....

Pete

*edited to add - I must have been typing this when you posted your response, Jack, but I'll leave it anyway as 'my contribution.'

Last Modified By petebfrance at 9 Mar 2013 - 10:07 PM
JawDborn
9 Mar 2013 - 10:10 PM

And after that i could do with a can of bier.Smile

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm happy to go with the flow - I'm very good at sitting on fences Smile

JawDborn
9 Mar 2013 - 10:19 PM

Good point, Pete. We don't want bright blue of emerand green. Sepia or b&w photos would be fine by me. How about it, guys?

rambler
9 Mar 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm with you Shakey, it works as it is. Personally black and white means exactly that and that is what I will post. If someone chooses to post something different then so be it.

Ken

JawDborn
9 Mar 2013 - 10:24 PM

Thanks, Ken and Alison.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.