Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Welcome to India

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
3 Oct 2012 - 10:11 PM

I would urge anyone who didn't see this evening's BBC2 programme "Welcome to India" to give it a view on iPlayer or whatever. Absolutely the most brilliant programme. Such colourful, resourceful and hardworking people. And a photographer's dream. And I loved the spaghetti western music too.

The most excellent programme on TV this year.
x

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Oct 2012 - 10:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
4 Oct 2012 - 3:57 PM

Totally agree.......... saw the programme and was blown away! Can't believe how industrious and hard working those peolple were in order to survive and make a meagre living. Puts our 'benefits' culture into perspective.

User_Removed
4 Oct 2012 - 7:30 PM

I have to back that.

Utterly compelling...

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 8:29 PM

I need to see that.

When I got married (to an Indian man) I went to India for 4 months to live with the inlaws, we were not in a tourist part by any stretch of the imagination, I lived in an industrial town in the Punjab and most people had never seen a white person in the flesh before. The things I saw there were both amazing and mind blowing, it's like another world, not another country.

WeeGeordieLass
WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2339 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
4 Oct 2012 - 9:29 PM

I need to see that too.

I'm going to India in February for my "Adventure of a Lifetime".

I'll be travelling down the Ganges from the foothills of the Himalayas to the Bay of Bengal, using various methods of transport (overnight sleeper trains, riverboats etc), visiting local communities, temples, ashrams, holy cities, wildlife reserves etc. along the way, with a group of complete strangers!

Along the way we'll visit Allahabad where, at the time we pass through, the biggest mass gathering of people ever to be held on earth takes place. It's called the Kumbh Mela a mass Hindu celebration, where it's stated that 65 million people will attend over the space of a couple of weeks - this celebration only happens every 12 years!!

OMG, just typing a few lines about it here gets me all excited and nervous at the same time!

Gotta watch that programme as soon as possible.

Thanks for this post Chris

Cheers

Elaine

justin c
justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 9:33 PM

Thanks for the reminder. Just half way through watching it now on BBC iPlayer. An interesting program indeed.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2012 - 10:19 PM

Wow, what an adventure Elaine!
And another world indeed Fishnet. How interesting to see it in reality, so to speak. Smile

SlowSong
10 Oct 2012 - 10:11 PM

Episode 2. And it did not disappoint. Jura (if that's the correct spelling) is a most admirable woman. I'd have her on my side any day.
Another brilliant glimpse of life in the real India.
x

Fishnet
11 Oct 2012 - 11:46 AM

I watched it last night and my kids actually WANTED to watch it too! My son was particularly fascinated with it, he's 13 and I think was rather envious of the lack of rules and health and safety over there!

It's weird to think that my children have so much family in India and yet they have never been and are never likely to either.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 11:57 AM

went to India a few years a go.......what hit me was the enormous wealth gap in very close proximity...of course a lot of te tourists stay in 4/5 star hotels but there are western style (high end) shopping malls just metres away from abject poverty..totally compelling Smile

Fishnet
11 Oct 2012 - 8:42 PM

Sounds like Hackney.

Fishnet
11 Oct 2012 - 8:44 PM

This is me washing my clothes at our house

SlowSong
11 Oct 2012 - 8:50 PM

Blimey, Looks like a full time job.
I can do without anything in the kitchen but I'd miss my washing machine more than I can say.
Smile

Fishnet
11 Oct 2012 - 10:11 PM

I had to wash myself under that pipe too, ice cold spring water, all the kids would come to see the mad white woman trying to wash, this is my late husband, you are NOT seeing any photos of me washing!!

mikehit
mikehit  56471 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 10:22 PM

Don't you just love the way they crowd round and watch everything you do with intense interest.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.