Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Welcome to India

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
3 Oct 2012 10:11PM
I would urge anyone who didn't see this evening's BBC2 programme "Welcome to India" to give it a view on iPlayer or whatever. Absolutely the most brilliant programme. Such colourful, resourceful and hardworking people. And a photographer's dream. And I loved the spaghetti western music too.

The most excellent programme on TV this year.
x

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rossd 11 1.1k England
4 Oct 2012 3:57PM
Totally agree.......... saw the programme and was blown away! Can't believe how industrious and hard working those peolple were in order to survive and make a meagre living. Puts our 'benefits' culture into perspective.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
4 Oct 2012 7:30PM
I have to back that.

Utterly compelling...
Fishnet 10 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2012 8:29PM
I need to see that.

When I got married (to an Indian man) I went to India for 4 months to live with the inlaws, we were not in a tourist part by any stretch of the imagination, I lived in an industrial town in the Punjab and most people had never seen a white person in the flesh before. The things I saw there were both amazing and mind blowing, it's like another world, not another country.
I need to see that too.

I'm going to India in February for my "Adventure of a Lifetime".

I'll be travelling down the Ganges from the foothills of the Himalayas to the Bay of Bengal, using various methods of transport (overnight sleeper trains, riverboats etc), visiting local communities, temples, ashrams, holy cities, wildlife reserves etc. along the way, with a group of complete strangers!

Along the way we'll visit Allahabad where, at the time we pass through, the biggest mass gathering of people ever to be held on earth takes place. It's called the Kumbh Mela a mass Hindu celebration, where it's stated that 65 million people will attend over the space of a couple of weeks - this celebration only happens every 12 years!!

OMG, just typing a few lines about it here gets me all excited and nervous at the same time!

Gotta watch that programme as soon as possible.

Thanks for this post Chris

Cheers

Elaine
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
4 Oct 2012 9:33PM
Thanks for the reminder. Just half way through watching it now on BBC iPlayer. An interesting program indeed.
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
4 Oct 2012 10:19PM
Wow, what an adventure Elaine!
And another world indeed Fishnet. How interesting to see it in reality, so to speak. Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
10 Oct 2012 10:11PM
Episode 2. And it did not disappoint. Jura (if that's the correct spelling) is a most admirable woman. I'd have her on my side any day.
Another brilliant glimpse of life in the real India.
x
11 Oct 2012 11:46AM
I watched it last night and my kids actually WANTED to watch it too! My son was particularly fascinated with it, he's 13 and I think was rather envious of the lack of rules and health and safety over there!

It's weird to think that my children have so much family in India and yet they have never been and are never likely to either.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
11 Oct 2012 11:57AM
went to India a few years a go.......what hit me was the enormous wealth gap in very close proximity...of course a lot of te tourists stay in 4/5 star hotels but there are western style (high end) shopping malls just metres away from abject poverty..totally compelling Smile
11 Oct 2012 8:42PM
Sounds like Hackney.
11 Oct 2012 8:44PM
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
11 Oct 2012 8:50PM
Blimey, Looks like a full time job.
I can do without anything in the kitchen but I'd miss my washing machine more than I can say.
Smile
11 Oct 2012 10:11PM
I had to wash myself under that pipe too, ice cold spring water, all the kids would come to see the mad white woman trying to wash, this is my late husband , you are NOT seeing any photos of me washing!!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 10:22PM
Don't you just love the way they crowd round and watch everything you do with intense interest.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.