Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

welding glass as nd filter

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CDSINUK
CDSINUK  2223 forum posts England
28 Sep 2012 - 12:07 PM

i have some ND filters and have just purchased a 2-400 stop filter but am awaiting delivery, so i thought i would have a bit of fun with the welding glass technique, however one question, how do i get sharp focus as the camera will not lock on through the glass, i have tried to focus without the glass in front, and then attach it, turning off the auto focus, but the images are blurry? any suggestions, and before you say it, i will wait for the proper filter but just wanted to have a bit of fun with this? could it be the glass itself causing distortion ?

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 28 Sep 2012 - 12:18 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Sep 2012 - 12:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2012 - 12:25 PM

The trouble with welding glass is you would get a colour cast, plus the optics would be poor, giving you a poor image.

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
28 Sep 2012 - 1:56 PM

It's great for the purpose it was designed for. Optically it's crap. Lol

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9167 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2012 - 2:58 PM

I applaude your efforts in trying this. Sometimes you don't want sharp to create an interesting image. Look at Irene Froy's work and the lovely diffused effect she achieves through a certain type of glass. Only last Monday I saw a lecture by a chap, some of whom's images were shot through some plastic. They were beautiful.

If your glass works as a "big stopper" type effect but has a colour cast that you can't correct maybe it can be converted to mono.

Experimentation is good!!

All the best
Roy

User_Removed
28 Sep 2012 - 4:02 PM

Quote: Sometimes you don't want sharp to create an interesting image.

Experimentation is good!!

All the best
Roy

Absolutely. Some deluded folk spend real money on something caused a Lens Baby just to get distorted, out-of-focus pictures that I find I can produce quite naturally. And if I need an exaggerated effect, a big gob of saliva on the lens works wonders.

Smile Wink Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 28 Sep 2012 - 4:04 PM
CDSINUK
28 Sep 2012 - 4:53 PM

lol like the saliva one, MMMMnnn better wait till my chest infection has got better Smile thanks for the advice and the iluminating idea's guys , i think the glass would work well ion fast moving clouds and running water though, managed to get rid of most of the green with white balance in raw,

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 28 Sep 2012 - 4:55 PM
widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2012 - 6:28 PM

i used it recently only for b/w but i thought it worked fine enough Smile

Rod

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2012 - 6:30 PM

my camera was on a/f and i got sharpish images maybe iam just a really good photographer though Tongue lol

Rod

CDSINUK
28 Sep 2012 - 6:48 PM

i am using a Sony Alpha A230 the only camera in the world you cant get a timed shutter release for lol, i tried the AF but it wouldnt lock on?

CDSINUK
28 Sep 2012 - 6:52 PM

Quote: My camera was on a/f and i got sharpish images maybe iam just a really good photographer though Tongue lol

Rod

Rod What are you insinuating !!!! lol Smile

your probably right, im just a fledgling photoglafer Smile what does the big shiny button do?Smile

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 28 Sep 2012 - 6:54 PM
thewilliam
28 Sep 2012 - 8:14 PM

Quote: ...how do i get sharp focus as the camera will not lock on through the glass, i have tried to focus without the glass in front, and then attach it, turning off the auto focus, but the images are blurry? any suggestions, and before you say it, i will wait for the proper filter but just wanted to have a bit of fun with this? could it be the glass itself causing distortion ?

This might seem a silly question, but is the camera mounted on a good firm tripod or are you trying to hand-holding? Provided everything is firmly mounted, even a welding glass should give a nice picture.

Jestertheclown
28 Sep 2012 - 8:39 PM

There was another thread on this subject running on here very recently.

Might be an idea to look for it?

CDSINUK
29 Sep 2012 - 9:48 AM

Hi william, yes all mounted firmly on a tripod, and thanks jester, but no i wasnt aware that there was another thread, i guess i would have looked at it if i had known but thanks for the input, i will try and find it Smile

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 29 Sep 2012 - 9:49 AM
kaybee
kaybee  103793 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2012 - 12:59 PM

Welders Glass

dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
29 Sep 2012 - 9:00 PM

Are you sure the lens focus didnt move while fitting?

Glue the glass to an old screw filter ring.

The green cast should be easy to rectify.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 29 Sep 2012 - 9:00 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.