Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Well I've gone and done it.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    losbarbados
    16 Jun 2012 - 10:00 PM

Replaced all my kit today, and the previous owner of an Olympus kit bag is now the proud owner of a Canon 7d, along with a 28-105 f4, a 70-200 f2.8 a 400 f5.6

I'm now going cross eyed trying to read the manual - it certainly isn't a pick up and play camera, so it will be a learn as I go job I think.

Wish me luck, and if you have any tips please feel free to shareSmile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jun 2012 - 10:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jun 2012 - 11:10 PM

HA reminds me of me, the transition from olympus to a canon 7d, not easy but when you get used to it you will wonder why did i not do this from the start.
    get your self a video on all the functions and menus of the 7d, i did and it helped me understand the camera very quickly.
    The 7d when set up well will be your best friend...

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3774 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2012 - 8:57 AM

I have never swapped cameras in this way.....but I do find many of the tutorials to be found on YouTube very helpful in all things photographic.

Hobbo

snappersue
    17 Jun 2012 - 7:30 PM

You Tube is very good for all kinds on tutorials I find. Sue

losbarbados
    17 Jun 2012 - 9:12 PM

Well I was out today shooting a burst when I wanted a single shot (and boy does it burst, my e620 would do 4fps, and fill the buffer up after about 6 shots, the 7d does 8fps and seems to be able to keep up with that all the time I have my finger on the shutter) and a single shot when I was trying to burst, but I got that sussed by the end of the day.

The camera is a lot heavier than I'm used to but I would have normally shot off a monopod (bought a new one of those as well) only embarrassingly I had no idea on how to access the 1/4" thread (I've now got that under control so the pictures should improve as the camera has a steadier base.

I need to check out the auto focus tutorials because I kept losing focus mid burst, but that will come with some experimenting. I'm very pleased with the colour intensity though

kevspiers
    kevspiers  867 forum posts
    19 Jun 2012 - 9:24 PM

Congrats on your new toy you will love it Smile Have a read here its a good base setting for the 7D

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Rev2
    Rev2  4212 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2012 - 10:18 PM

Quote: Congrats on your new toy you will love it Smile Have a read here its a good base setting for the 7D

I used that site when I acquired my 7D, the back focus button is essential IMO. Was the shot above taken on centre point focus by any chance?

losbarbados
    19 Jun 2012 - 11:03 PM

I had it set to AI Servo autofocus I think :-/

Rev2
    Rev2  4212 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2012 - 11:39 PM

The 7D has 19 point focus, I use centre point for small objects, usually perched birds & expanded for moving subjects, e.g. birds in flight. It may be worth checking to see what focus points you are using as it makes a huge difference to getting perfect focus, the 7D is fairly unforgiving when it comes to sharp focus with all those pixels battling it out for attention.

It took me about a year to get used to all the setting but I'm a slow learner. Wink

paulcr
    paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jun 2012 - 7:27 AM

Quote: I need to check out the auto focus tutorials because I kept losing focus mid burst, but that will come with some experimenting. I'm very pleased with the colour intensity though

Try using A1Servo drive. The lens will continually "hunt" and refocus.

Paul

losbarbados
    20 Jun 2012 - 10:33 AM

The focus point was wandering around all 19 points so I'm guessing it wasn't centre point.

Next experiment will be some show jumping tomorrow and Friday

mondmagu
    mondmagu  474 forum posts Ireland
    20 Jun 2012 - 11:54 PM

Look at the Canon America site.They have video tutorials on all the individual functions of all the current cameras.They are very informative.
    http://learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos_7d_tutorials.shtml

Des

losbarbados
    21 Jun 2012 - 11:09 PM

As things move on I think I'm getting the camera set up in the way in want.

Tomorrow I think it's the turn of showjumping followed by more polo on Saturday then back to football on Sunday.

This is going to be a busy week!

mondmagu
    mondmagu  474 forum posts Ireland
    22 Jun 2012 - 1:43 PM

Big improvement on the american football.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.