Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Well said Boris

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 8:14 AM

There are rumours about that an election for a new leader of the Tory party will take place as early as possible. Shortly, Boris may stand as an MP, with some old fogey giving up his seat to allow a bye-election to take place. Once that happens the election for a new leader will take place and Boris will be crowned the new PM.

I would like to examine his views on membership of the corrupt, inept and expensive EU a little more before making up my mind about it, because more than 50% of the electorate wants a referendum on our continued membership which costs us 53million PER DAY!!!! More when you consider all the other things like the cost of Human Rights (Criminal rights more like) legislation and the cost of immigration on our health service and the strains placed upon the councils to provide housing etc. I hope if this shift does take palce that Boris grants us the referendum so that we can see whether or not we all want to get out.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Sep 2012 - 8:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73352 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 9:11 AM

Quote: My dictionary definition of choice for the word buffoon is: A person who amuses others by his ridiculous or odd behaviour; - a ludicrous or bumbling person

Ah, Alex Salmond

chris.maddock
11 Sep 2012 - 9:16 AM

Quote: My dictionary definition of choice for the word buffoon is: A person who amuses others by his ridiculous or odd behaviour; - a ludicrous or bumbling person

Ah, Alex Salmond

Amuses others? Salmond? Yer 'avin' a laff surely?
Wink

Jestertheclown
11 Sep 2012 - 9:26 AM

Quote: it would worry me greatly that he would become a laughing stock and make us one too.

. . . you mean that we're not already?

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 10:12 AM

Alex has made me laugh a few times, the best thing is for him to have a period of time of having to be in charge and having to live with his pronouncements and take some responsibility. Then he might be a bit more plausible. It would be nice to see him taking a more statesman and less bar room brawl stance. Makes Boris look like a diplomat. An example that made me chuckle then cringe as I worked out what had happened, then worry about the way they were treating people.

As for leaving Europe do me the equation of how much we would loose by not being in the Eurozone. Good bye to the car plants and lots of investment, we need a balanced view, and perhaps we ought to recognise we are Europeans. its rather like Germans complaining about paying for Greece because they are in the Euro, when Germany is enjoying an artificially low currency rate and the trade that that brings, while the Germans are keeping the Greek/Italian etc currency up stuffing them to Germany's advantage.

this current recession (though I am not certain it is a recession more a lack of growth) would probably be far worse if we were not hanging onto the coat tails of the rest of Europe. We need their trade. Perhaps we should recognise our best customer and be nice about them rather than moaning about them.

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Sep 2012 - 10:17 AM
keith selmes
11 Sep 2012 - 10:21 AM

Boris is a great entertainer, wonderful character, but I wouldn't like to see him put in charge of anything bigger than a village hall annual show committee.

I would say he could have a great future in TV, except that's what he does now, isn't it ?

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 10:47 AM

@ Strawman. Refreshing to hear your comments John. Makes me sick when I hear all the eurobashing emanating from the UK.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 11:12 AM

Quote: Makes me sick when I hear all the eurobashing emanating from the UK.

Me too. As a Boris-sceptic and Europhile I realise I may be in the minority but the last thing the UK needs is Boris as PM and the UK to leave the EU. We would be alone with a gormless twerp in charge.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
11 Sep 2012 - 11:27 AM

Quote: "All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.".

People don't understand because they never get told the whole truth, when the small print is read things often take on another aspect.

Alternatively say something that everyone understands and agrees with, then go and do the exact ruddy opposite.

Example, Green belt has been a no-go area for development for years, not now though!

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 11:28 AM

Love him! Hurrah! Smile

Last Modified By AnnChown at 11 Sep 2012 - 11:28 AM
monstersnowman
11 Sep 2012 - 2:17 PM

Quote: Jeez. I really have emerged out of some weird reality warp.

I didn't say Boris was a liar. Nor did I say anything about Tony Blair. And although, whether we like it or not, we all judge people by their appearance that was not why I called him a buffoon. My dictionary definition of choice for the word buffoon is: A person who amuses others by his ridiculous or odd behaviour; - a ludicrous or bumbling person.

If you want a leading politician like that then fine but I cannot imagine that he would command much respect amongst the states-people of the world. He is already lampooned at home and abroad and it would worry me greatly that he would become a laughing stock and make us one too.

My biggest gripe with Boris is his inability to express himself and his ideas clearly and succinctly and without resorting to Latin quotes to cover up the shallowness of his arguments. I am reminded of the words of Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye - "All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.". I think Boris relies on that tactic a little too much for my liking.

Hi Ewanneil .. whilst I quoted one or two words you used my post wasn't aimed at you in particular but more about the general attitude toward Boris. And yes he is lampooned and may not command respect but that is MY WHOLE POINT ... the fact that he is lampooned and may not command respect is not justified and mainly based on things that really are facile, shallow and superficial rather than on what matters ie, honesty, integrity, intelligence etc. I will then refer to something I say on a very regular basis about almost everything. If Boris is then judged in this facile, superficial and shallow manner we end up getting the politicians who are preoccupied with image, spin and style over substance and as such we get these lying, spin driven, manicured and well scripted but vacuuous and substanceless vote chasers - we deserve no more. 'We get what we deserve'.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
11 Sep 2012 - 2:38 PM

Re: Tony Blair, my point was that, he was generally considered to be intelligent, portrayed himself as honest, squeaky clean and trustworthy, but spent a lot of time lying to us (WMDs for instance) and dragged us into an unneccesary war.

Boris may or may not be PM material, but I believe that he is basically honest, a pity our more 'normal' politicians don't follow his example and stop treating us all as gormless idiots to be manipulated at the drop of a hat.

Quote: it would worry me greatly that he would become a laughing stock and make us one too.

. . . you mean that we're not already?

I don't believe that for one moment, Britain is a small island with a relatively small population, compared to the other major powers, but it commands a great deal of respect in the world.

Note that the USA usually has to call on us when they need to get into sticky political situations, despite being the 'Greatest country on earth' (Obama). Sad

Last Modified By macroman at 11 Sep 2012 - 2:47 PM
Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 3:11 PM

Quote: As for leaving Europe do me the equation of how much we would loose by not being in the Eurozone. Good bye to the car plants and lots of investment, we need a balanced view, and perhaps we ought to recognise we are Europeans.

Who says the manufacturing plants will leave? We had them here before the EU.

Regarding trade, the EU needs us more than we need them, new business is to be had dealing with China and India of course the EU has banned that hasn't it!

What is being asked for here is not getting out of the EU but a REFERENDUM, If the vote is to remain a part of Europe then so be it, but if not we should leave. just let us decide.

Remember the request is for the people's voice to be heard or do you believe that politicians know better than us?

mikehit
mikehit  56457 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 3:18 PM

Quote: Hi Ewanneil .. whilst I quoted one or two words you used my post wasn't aimed at you in particular but more about the general attitude toward Boris. And yes he is lampooned and may not command respect but that is MY WHOLE POINT ... the fact that he is lampooned and may not command respect is not justified and mainly based on things that really are facile, shallow and superficial rather than on what matters ie, honesty, integrity, intelligence etc. I will then refer to something I say on a very regular basis about almost everything. If Boris is then judged in this facile, superficial and shallow manner we end up getting the politicians who are preoccupied with image, spin and style over substance and as such we get these lying, spin driven, manicured and well scripted but vacuuous and substanceless vote chasers - we deserve no more. 'We get what we deserve'.

And that is why it is best that someone like Boris is kept out of the political leadership - we need his type close to, but not at, the centre of power where he can be the sounding board for the feeling of the population.

It was often said that the most powerful person in days of yore was the cout jester. He alone was allowed to lampoon the king and get away with it - in so doing his role was to help stop the king losing touch with his subjects. I think Boris is far from a jester (he is far too intelligent for that) but his image as harmless buffoon would help communicate between people and politicians.

Mind you, Blair tried that with Frank Field - remember his remit to 'think the unthinkable' until thinking awkward things got him sacked?

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Sep 2012 - 3:35 PM

Quote: how much we would loose by not being in the Eurozone

We are not in the Eurozone thank goodness, we kept our own currency.

Edward Heath stated we were duped into the `common market` as it was then known.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.