Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Well said Boris

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 9:59 AM

Quote: They are running the NHS by telling us that as a member of the EU we must treat anybody, free of charge, from any other member state. This when we clearly cannot afford it and furthermore, do not want to.

And we have equal rights to go to other countries as well. And I have read many stories of people doing just that so it works both ways. Just because you don't avail yourself of that right does not mean it does not exist.

Quote: local authorities who have been told that all EU member immigrants MUST be given housing as a priority

Nope. It is the housing authority who choose to give them a priority above local people. Again you are clearly unable to discriminate between the EU requirements and the incompetence of the British authorities.

You really are doing little to advance your argument here. I have absolutely no problem with someone saying they believe we should be independent of Europe but backing it up with specious argument is not good.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PaulSR
PaulSR  8511 forum posts England

cant believe all this love for a politician. He is a self serving POLITICIAN and is only interested in his own wealth and power. A politician will throw the people a few scraps every now and again for which we are truly grateful and which will keep us loyal, but come on, wake up FFS

triumphv8
triumphv8  7450 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 - 10:06 AM

Quote: If you are politically astute you too can add to this list, but who knows.

Not sure I agree with excluding people from debates based on knowledege, surely it's better to involve them and raise their awareness, or even better, convince them of one's own point of view.

Another point I'd give in support of my original post was an increasing inability for people to discuss a subject without making it personal, and making dismissive statements or insults rather than countering with good rhetoric.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 10:17 AM

Those of you who said the electorate or members of the public are morons need comment no further, as you have declared yourself to be moronic and stupid. Therefore what you have to say is irrelevent, uninformed and not worthy of further dicussion.

I will continue my discussion with those whom I consider to be worthy of such discourse; that precludes you.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 10:32 AM

So back to reasoned debate it is, then
Can you point to the statement that 100,000 signatures = referendum

Last Modified By mikehit at 13 Sep 2012 - 10:49 AM
triumphv8
triumphv8  7450 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 - 10:35 AM

My comment was 'small minds of the general public' , which in the context of the discussion relates to the lack of politcal awareness of most of the general public - a position which you are now supporting - but doing so by throwing insults.

Again proving my point of a few moments ago.

........are you now trying to introduce censorship of those who disagree with you ?

monstersnowman
13 Sep 2012 - 12:34 PM

Quote: Those of you who said the electorate or members of the public are morons need comment no further, as you have declared yourself to be moronic and stupid. Therefore what you have to say is irrelevent, uninformed and not worthy of further dicussion.

I will continue my discussion with those whom I consider to be worthy of such discourse; that precludes you.

Focus_Man - a very poor response. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would realise the statement that the electorate were moronic or whatever other description, was simply a generalisation. It does not by any means mean that everyone is. I therefore exclude myself from the generalisation. Glad to clear things up for you :0)

monstersnowman
13 Sep 2012 - 12:57 PM

Quote: Cant believe all this love for a politician. He is a self serving POLITICIAN and is only interested in his own wealth and power. A politician will throw the people a few scraps every now and again for which we are truly grateful and which will keep us loyal, but come on, wake up FFS

No love I'm afraid. I certainly wouldn't name a child after him lol ... He is simply a politician who, on the scale of things, seems to be more open, candid, humerous and willing to take himself less seriously than most other politicians. He isn't a god or hero .. Just a breath of fresh air compared with the bilge that spin out if Westminster day in day out.

Oh and just for Focus_man - a demonstration of why I think the general public are pretty stupid and incapable of grasping most issues. On local news a headline story was ' Man fined 525 for littering' . The story continued to explain that the littering fine was only 75 and the rest was added for failing to pay. Almost to a man, every 'vox pops' response was that they supported the action but that the fine was just too high for just littering. Not one grasped the simple basic fact that the fine was 75 and that his own failure to pay had inevitably upped the amount. If they can't grasp this or are so easily led by a media with a sensationalist agenda then they are incapable of digesting any political issues, let alone understand a voting slip. Of course not all are morons ;0)

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
13 Sep 2012 - 1:10 PM

Quote: cant believe all this love for a politician. He is a self serving POLITICIAN and is only interested in his own wealth and power. A politician will throw the people a few scraps every now and again for which we are truly grateful and which will keep us loyal, but come on, wake up FFS

I think we are all aware that he's a politician, and as a whole that tends to be more of indictment than a compliment, especially these days. However, to imply that all politicians are equal is either a bit blinkered, or excessively cynical. Some are better than others - sometimes a LOT better than others. The local councillor for the ward I live in died a few years ago. He was widely revered in the local community for the time, effort and commitment which he brought to his role. A politician - but one who certainly didn't conform to your stereotype.

As for Boris, as others have said, he's a breath of fresh air in that he at least appears to be more open, outspoken and disinterested in fitting into the grey moulds favoured by the party 'machine'.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 13 Sep 2012 - 1:11 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 1:20 PM

I don't think Margaret Thatcher was in it for the money! Wink

(Denis was a multi-millionaire already).

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 2:04 PM

Quote: Unfortunately it relies on the little minds of the general public instead.

That is what you said and I DO NOT support it; a gross insult to the general public. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If that is your opinion of yourself and others like you then I am away from here to better educated and astute people.

This is my last word on this subject.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 2:31 PM

The point of my earlier comment has been completely missed. It wasn't his fee I was referring to (who wouldn't want 250k for scribbling a couple of paragraphs each week?), it was his description of the fee as "chicken feed" that I found contemptible.

Perhaps I should have said "Boris Johnson - Bullingdon Club to the core."

cameron-bullingdon-club.jpg

Last Modified By spaceman at 13 Sep 2012 - 2:32 PM
monstersnowman
13 Sep 2012 - 2:53 PM

Sense of humour by-pass ...... Not sure what the image is meant to prove either ... Inverted snobbery is as bad as snobbery. The likes of Tony Benn had privileged upbringings far in excess of anything I or my children could dream of. I won't judge him or make any assumptions from that and I am sure you haven't either in his case.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 13 Sep 2012 - 4:49 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 2:54 PM

He's always been quite distinctive, hasn't he! Grin

Maybe part of his appeal?

keith selmes
13 Sep 2012 - 4:37 PM

Quote: This is my last word on this subject.

see, there is a god, and he does answer prayers Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.