Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Well software really!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    nikonhammer
    29 May 2011 - 8:59 PM

I have just laid out all my savings on a D300s and boy what a camera! I went to put the images through nx (original not 2) and they wont process raw files!! Any body know of any other programs I can use as I dont have the money for nx2 right now. any ideas welcome

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 May 2011 - 8:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Martin54
    Martin54 e2 Member 8497 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
    29 May 2011 - 9:17 PM

View NX2 is free and has basic RAW conversion tools

WilliamRoar
    29 May 2011 - 9:20 PM

Another RAW conversion program is Raw Therapee.

nikonhammer
    29 May 2011 - 9:38 PM

thanks martin. I will download a copy Thanks William too Grin

Kruger01
    Kruger01 e2 Member 6Kruger01 vcard United Kingdom
    30 May 2011 - 9:48 AM

Try free download Faststone

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

Picasa

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Quote: Picasa

Does Picasa process RAW?

User_Removed
    30 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

It may just make use of the embedded jpeg. Picasa has many strengths but I don't think raw-processing is one of them.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96308 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

When I bought my digital camera ( Not a Nikon ) it came with the manufacturer's own RAW conversion software.

OK, I already had elements & lightroom so was not particularly bothered but at least they provided something Wink

Does a company as renowned as Nikon not do that for it's customers ?

Last Modified By JJGEE at 30 May 2011 - 10:52 AM
    User_Removed
    30 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

They don't. I guess an accountant did a projection that showed it would hardly affect sales of Nikon cameras either way so it became another expensive OEM accessory. I think all the manufacturers should bundle such software with their flagship models at the very least.

It would cost them about 2p a disc?

loweskid
    loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2011 - 4:30 PM

When I got my D300, NX2 was available as a free download. Have they stopped that offer with the D300s?

Good job it was free though - I soon ditched it and went back to Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw.

User_Removed
    30 May 2011 - 5:53 PM

Quote: When I got my D300, NX2 was available as a free download. Have they stopped that offer with the D300s?

Good job it was free though - I soon ditched it and went back to Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw.

I agree Vincent.

It's probably a question of what you are used to. I didn't like the software that came with my D300 and D3s (probably didn't give it a fair chance) and simply use Lightroom (which is essentially similar to ACR as far as Raw processing is concerned).

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 May 2011 - 6:00 PM

Quote: When I got my D300, NX2 was available as a free download. Have they stopped that offer with the D300s?

The same for my D300S - when View NX2 works it's fine but it crashed more often than than a 19 year-old in Subaru Imprezza and so I gave up and bought LR3.

damienvc
    damienvc  328 forum posts Belgium2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2011 - 8:50 AM

Are you sure NX doesn't process NEF files? It appears to here. Personally, I'd ditch it for Elements and ACR - as other posters have pointed out, NX2 is temperamental at best.

If cash is a bit tight, you can get a disc only (so unboxed) but 100% legit copy of Elements 7 (which is still a very capable programme even though they're now up to v9) for under 20 quid off e-bay. I ended up getting a couple of copies, and am very happy with that as a software set up.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2011 - 9:08 AM

Quote: Picasa

Does Picasa process RAW?

Yes...accepts NEF files and then you can convert them to jpeg. Smile

[I had a similar problem with NX2 - it requires a substantial amount of RAM to work.]

Once i have them loaded to Picasa, I can use their add on `picnik' if they're jpeg, or I open the files with pixlr

Last Modified By cats_123 at 3 Jun 2011 - 9:10 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.