Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wellington/Waterproof Boot recommendation

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Serkta
Serkta  642 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jan 2008 - 4:53 PM

Hi, I am after a decent pair of waterproof boots to stop my feet getting wet at the beach.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am considering Hunters but was hoping for something a bit cheaper! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jan 2008 - 4:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sberlyn
sberlyn  7426 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2008 - 5:08 PM

Perhaps it would be a better idea to say what you'd like them to improve on, over the standard 15 jobbies?

S

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2008 - 5:19 PM

I was recently in the market for a new pair of Wellingtons and decided I'd be prepared to pay a fair price for a decent pair in the hope of comfort and durability. My budget was 100.

In the end I found a superb pair, superbly comfortable, very pliable, totally waterproof of course, and even looked pretty good.
Total cost was a massive 9.99 and I'm thrilled with them. First time I wore them I walked a good 8-10 miles over a rocky coastal path and was astounded at the level of comfort.

I originally tried Le Chameau, Hunter's and Argyle's and I'm sure they're good boots (they should be the money they cost), but I didn't like them at all, the sizes were completely inacurate and after trying two full sizes smaller than my actual shoe size they were still too big, tried the next size down and couldn't even get them on. I gave up at this point.

The 9.99 ones I ended up buying were IMO much more comfortable than boots costing ten to twelve times as much.

They're called Wetlands. I bought mine from a local farmer's market, so don't know how widespread they are. Perhaps try a Google search.

Justin.

PS. Any time from Spring untill Autumn I find a pair of shorts and sandalls (sports/walking ones)(yes, even Canon shooters wear them Smile ) the best bet. No worries about getting your feet wet then and they're plenty comfortable enough to walk miles and miles in.

Last Modified By justin c at 15 Jan 2008 - 5:22 PM
aftertherain
15 Jan 2008 - 5:32 PM

I have some hunter wellingtons that llook like lace-up ankle boots and they're great, easy to walk in (with an insole inside) and high enough to wade into shallow streams.
I recently rang Hunter to ask if they still did them and that particular one has been discontinued but they are introducing a new lace up ankle boot in April.
Apparently because of demand from people who attend Glastonbury.
You can sign up for advance emails with Hunter and then you'll see the pictures as soon as the boot is released.
Merl

User_Removed
15 Jan 2008 - 5:33 PM

I think it all depends on the shape of your feet Raife.
I've had a pair of 'Hunters' for about 15 years now and they are really comfortable but unfortunately, as far as I know, they don't produce them anymore.
However there are other good makes on the market and I think you get what you pay for.

Gerry.

Serkta
Serkta  642 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Jan 2008 - 5:42 PM

Thanks very much for the sound advice. My wife has a pair of Hunters that she has had for about 12 years and are still great but I wanted to pay the 12 years ago price.

I think I may have to bite the bullet with the Hunters as I have just managed to get an allotment recently and will definately need some decent ones as well as for the beach.

I love my Reefs and generally live in them but its a bit chilly still Smile

Cheers

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
15 Jan 2008 - 5:46 PM

There's a brand called Town & Country that aren't too bad, but I got a pair of Hunter boots last September and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are very comfortable, they are made of rubber, so if you are allergic to latex, avoid. I think the Town & Country boots are PVC rather than rubber.

Jo

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123860 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2008 - 6:25 PM

I have Hunters as well and the great thing about them is that they can at a pinch be used as walking boots.

glyndwr
glyndwr  766 forum posts Wales9 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2008 - 6:33 PM

I bought some 4x4 wellies from our local one pond shop.
Brilliant, I can get anywhere now.

IanA
IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2008 - 7:38 PM

Dunlop. Wickes. 9.99. Job done.

And I use a pair daily over some very rough and muddy territory plus stream crossing on a regular basis. Smile

Ian

MrsS
MrsS  74527 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2008 - 8:11 PM

Whatever you do , don't go to B&Q! Mine have been worn about 4 times and leaked like a sieve on Saturday!!

So I'm reading this with gr8 interest - - personally I like the purple Hunters Wink

Blenkinsopp
15 Jan 2008 - 8:19 PM

I have 2 pairs of very comfortable wellies.
- the long ones are Nora - very comfortable as they have a wood insole (bit like Scholl sandals) and no cloth lining - which means if you go over the wellie tops you can empty the water out, dry them out with a towel, put on dry socks and you are comfortable again.

My short wellies which are in daily use are Mucka boots with wellie feet and nylon and foam legs. The leg width is adjusted with velcro.

Try looking in farm and stablewear type shops - they cater for people who need wellies/boots that they can wear all day to work in comfort !

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jan 2008 - 8:29 PM

My best wellies are Dunlop "purofort" . I've just managed to find a new pair after finally wearing out the old ones, but they did at least 15 years of daily use (yes even in summer!)
Must admit they are a bit "agricultural" in style, but they are comfortable, if a bit clumpy but I can still wear them for riding, have some serious tread on them which never wears out, have safety toecaps but are still light, & best of all, they are really warm! Smile Price about 35

Blenkinsopp
15 Jan 2008 - 8:39 PM

Quote: wellingtons that look like lace-up ankle boots

Although Hunters might not be available you can get lots of similar kinds. Try WCF (West Cumberland Farmers) at Hexham or Carlisle

Kris_Dutson
15 Jan 2008 - 8:39 PM

Hunters tend to be a bit overpriced. I've just bought a pair of Aigle wellies. They're cheaper but easily as good. Being shaped to fit the foot and calf they don't flop about or bang your shins and are comfy on long walks with the dogs.

The more expensive ones have insulated and padded insoles as well.

Most Scats, or other farm suppliers have them.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.