Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Welsh Badger Cull

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cameraman
cameraman  11227 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 4:21 PM

If you wish to protest at this cull, tomorrow is your last chance.

Thousands of badgers are to be killed by the Welsh Assembly
Help save the badgers by sending an email to bovinetb@wales.gsi.gov.uk to voice your opinion.
Tomorrow is the last day - otherwise it will be too late. Now is the time to make a difference.
Leave the Welsh Assembly in no doubt that we are against the culling of badgers.
Thank you
The Black and White Campaign

Please find below suggested text to copy and paste into your e-mail, but please feel free to add a personal comment.

"We are totally against the culling of badgers in the Welsh Assembly Pilot Scheme. It is a travesty that you are acting against peer reviewed science that concluded that 'badger culling cannot meaningfully contribute to the future control of cattle TB in Britain'. Your Intensive Action Pilot Area which includes killing badgers, a badger vaccination and stringent cattle control measures all together will bring no information that can be deployed in a future policy for the control of Bovine Tb in cattle. Badgers will yet again be the scapegoat for a cattle disease. Their blood on your hands."

Michael

Last Modified By cameraman at 28 Jul 2009 - 4:24 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2009 - 4:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bppowell
bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 4:35 PM

Email sent.

Barry

Bodiewil
Bodiewil e2 Member 746 forum postsBodiewil vcard Wales
28 Jul 2009 - 4:43 PM

Email sent

Dave

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 5:19 PM

Presumably all the people emailing will also be emailing their local councils to ask them to stop poisoning rats with anti coagulant poisons that cause them to haemorrhage internally? Or is the double standards because one looks cute and photogenic and the other does not? Just wondering.

And before you ask I do not know enough about the science to make an informed judgement myself on the badger issue.

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jul 2009 - 6:02 PM

Email sent.

Ps. Some members level of ignorance is simply astounding.

Henchard
28 Jul 2009 - 6:31 PM

Quote: Ps. Some members level of ignorance is simply astounding.

Really, enlighten me in my ignorance. How many scientific papers have you read on the transmission of Bovine TB?

I'm presuming that the British Veterinary Association have more detailed knowledge than most EPZ forum readers.

Last Modified By Henchard at 28 Jul 2009 - 6:39 PM
Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 6:36 PM

Quote: Email sent.

Ps. Some members level of ignorance is simply astounding.

Emotion and science don't mix. Wink

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jul 2009 - 6:53 PM

Quote: I'm presuming that the British Veterinary Association have more detailed knowledge than most EPZ forum readers

Maybe this report from the INDEPENDENT SCIENTIFIC GROUP ON CATTLE TB is better researched, I quote

Quote: The ISG has concluded that, although badgers contribute significantly to the cattle
disease in some parts of the country, no practicable method of badger culling can reduce
the incidence of cattle TB to any meaningful extent, and several culling approaches may
make matters worse. The ISG also conclude that rigidly applied control measures
targeted at cattle can reverse the rising incidence of disease, and halt its geographical
spread.

Henchard
28 Jul 2009 - 7:05 PM

Quote: Maybe this report from the INDEPENDENT SCIENTIFIC GROUP ON CATTLE TB is better researched,

That report was 2007 and has I believe been subsequently challenged by other experts. As I said at the beginning I don't have enough information to make an informed judgement myself. For which I (presumably) am called ignorant.

bppowell
28 Jul 2009 - 7:12 PM

I work at an agricultural university so hear a lot of debate for and against the theory that badgers spread TB amongst cattle.

There is evidence (Spring Watch 2009) that the spread of TB in cattle is down to modern farming practices and not badgers.

Perhaps some of us do not send emails just because someone asks them to.

Barry

Henchard
28 Jul 2009 - 7:37 PM

I'm sure most of the members of BVA went to University and have considered all the relevant research (though they may have not relied too much on Springwatch) before coming to an opinion.

I'm still waiting for the educated Mr. Zatoichi to explain my ignorance though.

bppowell
28 Jul 2009 - 10:09 PM

Sorry I have got my programs wrong, it was not Spring watch, that's what you get for typing in a hurry.

John Craven, did an investigation for Country File that raised a question about modern farming practices leaving cattle less immune to TB and other problems. You would need to watch the program for the full facts.

Not all farmers agree that culling badgers will stop the spread of TB in cattle.

What next, cull all other wild animals that might be the culprit?

Barry

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jul 2009 - 11:20 PM

Quote: Presumably all the people emailing will also be emailing their local councils to ask them to stop poisoning rats with anti coagulant poisons that cause them to haemorrhage internally? Or is the double standards because one looks cute and photogenic and the other does not? Just wondering.

And before you ask I do not know enough about the science to make an informed judgement myself on the badger issue.

Then perhaps you should. You have the internet and presumably google? Before you start to patronise perhaps make an educated judgement based on your findings? It seems very simple to kill everything and problem solved. I hope you haven't swine flu.

croberts
croberts  102160 forum posts Ireland8 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2009 - 11:56 PM

I dont understand what all this cull stuff is about. Loads of farmers just pump slurry down badger holes to kill them anyway, thinking that that will solve ALL their farming problems.

None of them seem to accept that they have dug themselves into a big hole, by living on subsidies for years, and enjoying a well paid lifestyle at the expense of the European purse, without actually growing anything of value.

These same farmers are now looking for a big cull of badgers, and will be probably be delighted if its prevented, as they'll probably just get a big payout from the government when their badly run herds contract TB.

Just another example of our wonderful countryside management. If you think there's a problem, blame something and kill it!

Terry L
Terry L e2 Member 10577 forum postsTerry L vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jul 2009 - 12:21 AM

Quote: Just another example of our wonderful countryside management. If you think there's a problem, blame something and kill it!

Good job that isn't applied on epz

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.