Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

West Yorkshire Sunrise location ideas

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mcgannc
    mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 5:31 PM

Evening all,

I'm looking to get out in the morning in an effort to try and get some sunrise shots...not sure if the weather is going to play ball but it would be a shame to waste a week off work without trying to get out!

Even though I've lived over here for over 3yrs now, I don't really know any great nearby locations...the Peak District is fairly close but just wondered if anyone knew of any good locations a bit closer? I live in Horbury (Wakefield) so was thinking there must be some good locations between me and say Huddersfield...anyone have any ideas?

Any help is much appreciated...over to you lot!

Cheers,
    Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Nov 2012 - 5:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jadus
    jadus e2 Member 21003 forum postsjadus vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 6:31 PM

Hi
    I'm not sure the sun shines in west yorkshire anymore!!

Try the A637 which runs from the sculpture park to huddersfield.

or the a629 at birdsedge.

I have to own that i have not taken pictures from there but they are both places that are high.
    My other thought is above holmfirth / marsden.

Hope the sun shines for youGrin

mcgannc
    6 Nov 2012 - 6:39 PM

Yeah, that's about right!!

Thanks for the suggestions...much appreciated.

Chris

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 6:55 PM

I find the Birdsedge area to be better for sunset, due to the Pennines, the following are within 2 miles (right on my doorstep, some are within walking distance) - they are a few years old, so not quite what I would post these days.( there is one location that I think will work at Sunrise, but I want to keep that until I've explored it first Wink )

No 1
    No 2
    No 3
    No 4

Last Modified By Nick_w at 6 Nov 2012 - 6:57 PM
    mcgannc
    6 Nov 2012 - 7:27 PM

Some beautiful shots Nick, thanks for sharing. Think I might head towards the Holmfirth area...or possibly just travel a little further to Stanage Edge!

Thanks again...oh, and keep us posted on your new secret location Smile

Chris

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2012 - 8:16 AM

The problem you have, is facing East (sunrise) is pretty flat (you can see all the power stations 30 miles away on the horizon facing west), so there's not much topography to hold the attention - even at Holmfirth area, which after all is not far from Birdsedge, where it would work is when there's mist around. The difference in the Peak district is you are in the middle of the Pennines, and the quarrying in the 18th C has greater interest on different planes, so it's not just north /south.

Other locations for you,
    Horbury Junction ( right on your door step)
    Castle Hill ( that would work at Sunrise)
    Numerous locations near Hebden Bridge
    Sandal Castle
    Numerous beach woodland areas

Etc, etc

mcgannc
    7 Nov 2012 - 8:41 PM

Thanks Nick - wish I'd gone to the Peak District after all! Tried out Holme Moss - the sky played ball but the wind didn't!! Ended up going to Langsett and this was the best I could get...bit of a disaster to be honest...

Thanks for the ideas - had never really given Horbury Bridge much consideration, have been to Sandal castle before and will give that a go in the future, it's a good location.

Thanks again for your help,

Chris

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.