Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Whale Watching

Trying to organise a trip to Alaska for some serious whale watching/interaction/photo opportunities.

What I don't want is one of those mass-tourism "let's see how many we can get on a boat" jobs and I was wondering/hoping somebody here would have some experience or knowledge of something that might fit the bill

Thanks all Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

6 Sep 2011 6:22PM
It depends on whether you want an inclusive trip or not.

I have been twice to Baja California (Mexico) where the whale watching is fantastic and the boat is small. The same company - Wildwings- do a trip to South East Alaska. UK company, look at their website if inclusive is what you want.
Thanks for that.. I'll take a look. What do you mean by 'inclusive' by the way? Inclusive of what?Smile
I've had a quick look and see what you mean now.

Sounds interesting but everything seems to be off a large boat. I was hoping for something smaller to get out on the water.

I'll get in touch anyway so thanks for the info :0
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
6 Sep 2011 7:29PM
You can go whale watching on the Oregon coast as well. I never got to the coast, and I've been to Oregon 7 or 8 times Sad
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Sep 2011 7:40PM

Quote:Whale Watching

Any beach in the UK or Spain really.....Tongue

I will get my coat now
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2011 8:08PM
South Africa........I saw 15+ in one bay....everywhere you look there's a whale.

Also drove to Hamanus for the day and there was even more there.....

Also did the helicopter ride around the peninsular and you can see them in the sea below....they are massive.

whale.jpg

6 Sep 2011 9:09PM
Barrie if you want to be really close, the trip to Baja includes going out in boats that seat 6 people in the lagoon with Grey Whale females and calves. The whales are totally wild but come to the boats so you are leaning over stroking them - sometimes as many as 5 round a small boat.

I have had my hand inside one of the mouth and touched the baleen. Would that be close enough?!!img-9088.jpg

Looks fab. I'm not too sure that touching should be allowed to be honest (I believe it's banned and punishable by heavy fines in Canada) but to be that close and NOT touch would be almost too tempting Smile
I really want to see Humpys! Smile
6 Sep 2011 9:43PM
We did query the touching but the two experts with us said that it was considered OK with the grays as they actively seek attention and there appears to be no known examples of infections from human to whales. We even removed some whale lice for them.

Yes, had breaching Humpbacks too, plus Fin, Sei, Blue, Pygmy Sperm Whales, masses of dolphins (hundreds at a time wake/bow riding) loads of birds and so on. The only wildlife trip I have done twice. Two other people on the boat were on there second and third times.

Whale watching is addictive.
DaveS101 6 50 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2011 12:45PM
I went to the Azores for 5 days and saw 12 different cetean species including blue, sperm, orca, long and short pilot whales, reiso dolphins to name but a few. Also we had a marlin swim under the boat and saw a sun fish. However we where told that to see so many species in 2 days is rare - especially the orcas and blue but i believe that there plenty of dolphin and whales that are there mosy of the time. The boat we went out in was a RIB and only took around 12 people. Unfortuanetly i dont think there any hump backs there.
Thanks for that but I feel it's definitely Alaska for me Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.