Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What... no ECs?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2005 - 12:26 AM

The last thing I want to do is start a thread about ECs, but I've just had a report forum posted asking why no ECs have been picked since 28th April and the person who filed the report didn't want to raise it in the forums, but didn't leave an email address so I couldn't respond directly.

It's probably wise that I state why here anyway because many others may be thinking the same. The person who emailed said "This is really a poor show. Is the book getting in the way?"
The book is taking much of my time, but it's not affecting my EC decision making process. Firstly I will say that there's never been a rule that says I MUST give X amounts of ECs each day/week/month.

I still look through every photo and I give out ECs to pictures that I feel deserve them. And, as has been stated so often, it's just my opinion - many others may/will disagree.

I have given out more HCs of late, but over the last year the number of ECs is reducing month by month.

This is due to a combination of things - two of the main points being my level of expectation is getting higher and there's a lot of repeat stuff so it has to better than the last version. For example if a superb flower photo showing great use of depth of field is submitted and gets an EC, the next has to be better to get one. I may be right or wrong in this process. I do like originality and creativity.

I am very aware that I haven't picked an EC and it's taking me longer to go through photos at the moment because I'm desperate to choose one or two, but I won't include ones for the sake of it.

One thing I've been considering is allowing a different guest editor to make the choice each week. This would remove the concerns some have that the EC selection process is flawed.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 May 2005 - 12:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2005 - 12:38 AM

Quote: Different guest Editors

Blimey and you thought you had trouble with click cliques wait till the fur starts flying about people giving each other ECs....

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2005 - 12:58 AM

Would it be members or have you got other people in mind? Unfortunately I can see where Chris is coming from, it might start a whole new set of problems but if the guest editors were from outside epz that might work.

IanA
IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2005 - 1:07 AM

The term 'Poisoned Chalice' springs to mind!!
Wink)

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2005 - 1:08 AM

I hadn't thought of THAT problem..doh! Getting a guest from outside may be possible. Maybe a newspaper picture editor one week, a library person another, book publishing editor etc...it's sounding like a nightmare already!Wink
Well the reason for the thread was just to say I've not gone slack on choosing ECs.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2005 - 1:11 AM

The moderators are part of THE TEAM so could be a good place to start as they have been given the trust by Pete to ' police ' the site on his behalf.

A minor mod will have to occur to indicate who it was given by, perhaps calling it MC for Moderator Choice to preserve the ultimate accolade of being picked by Pete as an EC

ljesmith
ljesmith  101092 forum posts United Kingdom
6 May 2005 - 1:15 AM

To be fair Pete I don't think that you should change the system at all, to bring in someone else to give an EC would only make things worse. The fact that EC's are getting harder to get is good and should encourage better photography, and if the only reason you take pictures is to get an EC then maybe you should examine why this is the case.

ardbeg77
ardbeg77  101214 forum posts Sao Tome and Principe6 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2005 - 1:17 AM

Just to voice my similar concern to the above - I agree completely with Luke. I think you'd just be opening yourself up for more hassle, Pete.

Steve

AdrianTurner
6 May 2005 - 1:20 AM

You've got enough on your plate as it is Pete, leave well alone.

Oh yeh! stop slacking and get that book sorted ;0)

Adrian.

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
6 May 2005 - 1:22 AM

Amazingly I agree with someone, in this case ljes.

An EC should be given for an excellent photo, not just the best of a bad bunch because it's been a week since the last one.

Like the flower show my mother-in-law regularly enters, just because in one category there may only be three entrants doesn't mean that they will be automatically given 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If the quality isn't there then they still might not get anything.

Ashley

pentaxpete
6 May 2005 - 1:23 AM

It's been said that many people will not join local camera clubs because of the competitive element; they are of the opinion that photos should not be 'marked'or one chosen against another, but I think a lot of those people are members of this on-line club and are striving to get an 'Editor's Choice' award,not far removed from the 1st,2nd or 3rd stickers awarded at local clubs! After many years in clubs I think it's nice to get an award but I don't go out of my way and I don't get my knickers in a twist if I don't get any. I still like MY pics I do; if anyone else does, it's a BONUS!!

Bernie
Bernie  102201 forum posts
6 May 2005 - 1:24 AM

Quote: The moderators are part of THE TEAM so could be a good place to start as they have been given the trust by Pete to ' police ' the site on his behalf.

That lot!!! You must be joking. Wink)

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2005 - 1:38 AM

Hey Pete, here's another problem. If you don't choose at least one EC a week how will there be a POTW?

Just a thought!

UserHasLeft
6 May 2005 - 1:42 AM

Not sure why a guest judge is a bad idea. I think it would be refreshing for everyone....for Pete not to have to trawl through a few thousand pics every week and for members to maybe see a different slant on choices. Pete would still be around for guidance if a judge wanted some assistance.

As long as there weren't 20 every day and as long as decisions were respected it sounds good to me on a trial basis Smile

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
6 May 2005 - 1:43 AM

Like I said before, just because one picture is superb, doesn't necessary follow that those below it should get awards as well.

Imagine if one week the only photos that were uploaded was one absolutely superb shot (which is chosen for POTW) and then any pictures from my portfolio.

Bearing in mind that the highest number of clicks I've ever got is 15 do you think that it would therefore be good enough for an EC? Should my shot be given an EC simply because it's the only other one to be uploaded?

Ashley

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.