Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What a lovely motor...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jondf
    jondf  72470 forum posts
    15 Sep 2013 - 7:36 AM

As a former Mk1 Ford Cortina owner, I went a little misty eyed over this -

http://cars.uk.msn.com/goodwood/on-the-road-in-a-goodwood-revival-star-car#image...

If the link works, there're a number of images to click through.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Sep 2013 - 7:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2013 - 10:07 AM

Ford Cortina Mk 1, Lotus Twin Cam model....Grin

Droooool..Smile

I had a very early Mk 1 GT ( The one with the rev counter mounted on the steering Colum ) in Goodwood Green, Fab motor in its day and second only to the Lotus version.

A great lesson in keeping things simple to make a simply superb machine.

One would pay a pretty penny for a decent sample of GT or Lotus version today.

LOL, I'd settle for a 1500 super....Wink

Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2013 - 10:41 AM

-dsc0238-epz.jpg

Here you are boys! A couple of shots from Friday's qualifying at Goodwood Revival 2013.

Just to get that nostalgia really flowingWinkWink

-dsc0891-epz.jpg

collywobles
    15 Sep 2013 - 11:44 AM

The Lotus Cortina's performance statistics are interesting:

0 to 60 mph (96.6 kph) Time:

The 0-60 mph (96.6 kph) time for the Ford Cortina MkI Lotus Type 28 is 8.6 seconds.

Top Speed:

The Ford Cortina MkI Lotus Type 28 has a 1558cc 8v St4 N/A engine with a 4 speed/ Manual transmission. The Ford Cortina MkI Lotus Type 28 can also reach a top speed of 104 mph.

More Ford Cortina MkI Lotus Type 28 Specifications:

We have a range of other performance specifications and statistics for the Ford Cortina MkI Lotus Type 28. For more specifications including 0 to 60 mph time, Top Speed, 0 to 100 kph, 0 to 62 mph, and more go here.

In its day the Lotus Cortina was the envy of a lot of people and it was considered very quick - now most family cars are faster both in their 0-60- time and top speed.

PS: Oh, and they stop a lot quicker also..... (8o)

Last Modified By collywobles at 15 Sep 2013 - 11:45 AM
    indemnity
    indemnity  5326 forum posts
    15 Sep 2013 - 2:56 PM

My pal had a white/green Lotus version as his first car, he bought it when he was 16yrs old then waited 3 months until he was 17 to drive it...on L plates.

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Sep 2013 - 4:07 PM

I had a Mk1 1500cc (just the basic version) and for an 18 year old that was pretty damn quick. Smile

I remember seeing an almighty tussle between a Mk1 Lotus Cortina and a Chevy at Brands, the Chevy pulled away on the straights but on every bend the Cortina re-passed it much to the enjoyment of the crowd. If I remember, they went over the finish line side by side (and sideways Smile).

Ian

jondf
    jondf  72470 forum posts
    15 Sep 2013 - 7:30 PM

Nice to hear from like-minded souls with regard to what really was a great model in its day and in keeping with Camercat, I'd be more than happy to settle for a 1500 standard car. Mine was a 1500 estate with a difference. I needed a bigger car that would take my drum kit whilst giving a bit more speed and comfort than the Minor 1000 van I'd been using. The car was advertised by a private seller in the local paper but when I arrived to take a look, was dismayed to see it had column change. However, it had a fantastic, plush, bench front seat so you could have three sat up front. I bought the car and very quickly came to love the column change and all the extra room in the front. Compared to the 'Moggi', it went like stink, a lovely free-revving engine with loads of pulling power ......best stop now, I'm getting a bit over nostalgic Smile

collywobles
    16 Sep 2013 - 8:53 AM

I think there is a lot of BS nostalgia going on here, bit like remembering that huge fish you caught 20 years ago, it was thi-i-i-i-i-is bi-i-ig! Like I said cars of yesteryear much like the Cortina were good in their day but no comparison to most of todays ordinary family cars. My current family car (not that quick by todays standards) but faster than the Lotus Cortina's (0-60 8.6) with top speed 36mph quicker.

When reminiscing the cars were always faster, the days were always sunnier and the girls were always ------ well I leave that to you....................... ! (8o)

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2013 - 9:49 AM

I haven't seen any posts saying that the cars were faster, more comfortable or safer than modern cars. We're just reminiscing about motors which made a big impression in their day.

Putting it into perspective my early ambitions were to have a car with a floor mounted gear lever, then a little later to have one with a short floor mounted gear lever. For an 18 year old the Mk1 Cortina 1500cc was the equivalent of something like a Golf GTi these days. Smile

jondf
    jondf  72470 forum posts
    16 Sep 2013 - 2:19 PM

Quote: Putting it into perspective my early ambitions were to have a car with a floor mounted gear lever, then a little later to have one with a short floor mounted gear lever. For an 18 year old the Mk1 Cortina 1500cc was the equivalent of something like a Golf GTi these days.

Yes, my heart was set on a floor mounted gear change. The early Cortinas had a very long gear lever by today's standards but the change was smooth, sweet and direct. But so was the column change but obviously in a different sort of way. And yes, whatever folk might say about comparisons with modern cars, the 1500 Cortina went like hell in comparison to other models about at the time Grin

digicammad
    16 Sep 2013 - 2:24 PM

My first car was a Mk3 Zephyr 4 with a 3 speed column change. It had a nasty habit of refusing to go from 1st to 2nd and as the car didn't have the power to go from 1st to 3rd I was often left coasting across junctions after setting off from the lights. Smile

Still the lack of a gear lever and handbrake getting in the way of the bench seat made for some interesting times. Wink

jondf
    jondf  72470 forum posts
    16 Sep 2013 - 2:26 PM

Blimey ....and it's LHD!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-MK1-1500GT-Two-Door-1966-LHD-/14105380654...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.