Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What a ridiculous law

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85834 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2010 - 7:58 PM

see here

Quote: but Echo has to stay in quarantine for six months

We are not talking about holidaymakers or the like trying to smuggle their pets into the country, or people who are coming to reside here after spending some considerable time away from these shores.

This is a search and rescue dog, on whom no doubt, considerable time and money has been spent.

His reward for assisting those less fortunate than himself, is to be cooped up for six months, away from his handler.

Surely in this day and age, there must be some fast-track method of determining whether he has contracted or carries the rabies virus?

I would be more worried about the possibility of the virus arriving in this country from across the channel.

Adrian

Last Modified By tomcat at 24 Jan 2010 - 7:58 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Jan 2010 - 7:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

podgod
podgod  10494 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2010 - 8:27 PM

At least they are not putting the dogs down like they used to.

User_Removed
24 Jan 2010 - 8:31 PM

I think race horses and eventing horses that travel overseas for competitions are able to return to their stables in the UK which are deemed to be a quarantine zone.

But I guess a place like Haiti is full of disease at the moment, but maybe the people returning should be in quarantine too?!

wing
wing  10453 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2010 - 8:35 PM

What is even more worrying is, six months quarantine, if true, will almost certainly mean that Echo will have performed it's last rescue mission.
The handler was finding it more and more difficult to justify his and the dogs role and was increasingly being asked to take Echo around shopping Malls and schools to carry out community services. Something that doesn't fit in too well with a highly trained rescue dog.
Finances had been cut back for a further two dogs already in the process of being trained.
Personally I think these dogs and their handlers are worth their weight in gold and more, not less money should be provided for training! Especially when we are seeing more and more of these events taking place around the world. I hope the authority concerned sit up and take notice of what these rescuers have achieved and of their worth.

User_Removed
24 Jan 2010 - 8:40 PM

But how often are these dogs used in the UK. I really don't know, maybe a lot. But maybe if they are not used a lot here they should be funded by the UN or something. Not sure we should pay for them to be used in other countries. But then maybe they should. I don't really know anything about them. Maybe I should just shut up now.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85834 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2010 - 8:41 PM

Well put Paul and thanks for the info.
Come the day Echo might be required in this country, or one of our diminishing dependencies, he will no longer be available.

Hobbs...I believe you are correct re racehorses, though that is more to do with equine flue than rabies.
I take your point though, regarding the spread of disease by human kind.

Adrian

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2010 - 8:57 PM

Quote: Surely in this day and age, there must be some fast-track method of determining whether he has contracted or carries the rabies virus?

Quarantine's not just for rabies though. Animals are particularly susceptible to all kinds of parasites, and they do not always show up straight away. It would be too expensive to test them for everything, so time is the favoured approach. The animals can't tell you their symptoms (not specifically anyway, and only to the people that really know them well).
It's actually a wonder that people don't get routinely quarantined, the way things are going in airports.
(Not saying I don't agree with you Adrian, just that there are other factors at work)

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 24 Jan 2010 - 8:58 PM
wing
wing  10453 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2010 - 8:59 PM

The Dogs, as well as being trained for search and rescue are also trained to sniff out the use of accelerants after suspicious fires and are used quite often in this country.
Wherever there is a building, tunnel or sewer collapse with the possibility of persons being trapped. I have also heard of them being used to locate missing persons, once suspected of being in a particular area, as well as people trapped/lost under ice.

Last Modified By wing at 24 Jan 2010 - 9:01 PM
User_Removed
24 Jan 2010 - 9:08 PM

Words fail me Adrian...

( You know where I am coming from )

tepot
tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jan 2010 - 9:24 PM

As hobbs said, maybe they should aslo quaranteen people too when they come through immigration, there was a case recently of a bloke boarding a plane and flying from pennsylvania to San francisco and they found he had malaria when he stepped off the plane.

Terry.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315544 forum posts England
24 Jan 2010 - 9:36 PM

Quote: Words fail me Adrian...

There's a first time for everything I guess Wink

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101437 forum postsdark_lord vcard England119 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2010 - 9:54 PM

Quote: hey found he had malaria when he stepped off the plane

Worrying if he didn't have it when he got on Wink

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2010 - 10:08 PM

Quote: Quote:hey found he had malaria when he stepped off the plane

Worrying if he didn't have it when he got on

LOL!! wipes eyes .. hahahaha ...

Damn shame about Echo though. If it's the case that he could have picked up parasites then can't these be picked up with blood tests and so on? Six months in quarantine for such a valuable dog seems so OTT. But then, I'm not a vet .. and how will quarantine affect a dog particularly when it's used to working and being with a loving handler.

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 24 Jan 2010 - 10:12 PM
rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2010 - 10:11 PM

Quote: Quote:hey found he had malaria when he stepped off the plane

Worrying if he didn't have it when he got on

Hee hee, it had crossed my mind too

Xiaoli
Xiaoli  5661 forum posts South Africa14 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jan 2010 - 10:14 PM

I can understand the need on one hand for protection against Rabies but other countries waive this kind of legislation for working dogs

More on the quarantine issue HERE

This isn't the first dog quarantined like this - DARCY and CHARCO

Parliamentary discussion in November 2009 on this issue HERE

Last Modified By Xiaoli at 24 Jan 2010 - 10:14 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.