Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What accessories would you buy for your speedlight.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gavrelle
    gavrelle  230 forum posts England
    8 Nov 2012 - 5:27 PM

If you look in magazine or dealers sights there is a whole range of accessories for speedlights, soft boxes etc. What accesories would you buy?? any good recommendations??? Good/Bad experiences?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Nov 2012 - 5:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulcookphotography

A decent diffuser is a must, as is some sort of off camera trigger. A second speedlight is also a great accessory Smile

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 7954 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 5:51 PM

These AA Sanyo Eneloop HR-3UW-XX 2500mAh

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9673 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:07 PM

I intend to purchase some Flash Gels for use with my speedlight.

Will be useful for effects and also for incandescent lighting.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314948 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:48 PM

Spare batteries are always good followed by either a ttl lead or a set of wireless triggers (gets the flash off the camera)

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72148 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 8:58 PM

RF-602(or similar) Radio trigger/receiver set to enable off camera flash.
    Lightweight stand to hold off camera flash
    1m (white reflective interior) umbrella(for soft light) I prefer these to softboxes as they require less power to create the same light, with almost insignificant difference in softness of light. Also easier to assemble/take down.
    Pivot bracket to enable umbrella to be used and more directional adjustment.
    Another speedlite.....
    Another stand...

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 9:53 PM

shoot through umbrellas or defuser of some sort, batteries and plenty of them rechargeable is the way to go for economy, gells, light stands, triggers such as pocket wizard mini tt1s and tt5s, in my honest opinion there the best out there but you do pay the money, another flash or 2 and more tt 5s.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Nov 2012 - 11:45 AM

Quote: What accessories would you buy for your speedlight.

As you can see by the replies posted so far, The list is considerable, Same applies to the amount of cash needed, To buy all the toys recommended......Smile

You might want to explain what it is you hope to achieve with your speedlight, If your to get a specific answer.....Grin

For example telling you that Pocket Wizards are the greatest thing since sliced bread (Well they would be at prices they command ) Is pretty pointless, If all you want to do is the odd family snaps at a parties etc, On the other hand you might be setting up as a wedding photographer, Who might need the potentially more robust/expensive kit ( Does not always follow though ).

Bottom line, You know what you want to do, We don't.....Wink So lets have some specifics....pretty please....Smile

gavrelle
    9 Nov 2012 - 6:13 PM

Thats a fair question. i already have remote triggers. what i was thinking of, using a couple of speedlights on location to do portraits/ beauty work. Would you get softboxes, grids, anyone picked up any real bargains?,

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314948 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Nov 2012 - 6:37 PM

I see you have some studio experience, have you got your own studio lights and modifiers.

If you have and just want to get flash modifiers for mobility just get a couple of these Interfit Strobies XS Brackets and add your studio stands and modifiers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002X6XE0C/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

gavrelle
    9 Nov 2012 - 8:26 PM

Paul, yes i do have my own studio kit. i admit i hadn t thought about using those light modifiers

Paul Morgan
    9 Nov 2012 - 8:48 PM

I use both studio lighting and flash, I`ve found those Strobies brackets to be very good, they come with a standard reflector as well that is not shown in the picture.

And they take the standard "S" fitting modifiers.

There are cheaper brackets about, but a lot of them are quite flimsy, and not so good out in the open.

Paul Morgan
    9 Nov 2012 - 9:03 PM

Quote: As you can see by the replies posted so far, The list is considerable, Same applies to the amount of cash needed, To buy all the toys recommended

Good Job that I noticed he already hada studio kit then Vince Smile

Quote: i admit i hadn t thought about using those light modifiers

That takes care of your softboxes and other modifiers then, and you already have the stands Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 9 Nov 2012 - 9:05 PM
    Paul Morgan
    13 Nov 2012 - 2:55 AM

Thought I`d give these a go, I could do with a few more gels and another grid, considering my bowens and barndoors cost me over 100 this looks like a bargain.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003KIYQR2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.