Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What aperture do you suggest?

pablophotographer 3 496 187
3 Aug 2012 12:16AM
Hello folks,

I had put aside my SLR manual lenses since I had been using my bridge camera.

What aperture would you suggest to set them to, while I keep them inactive?
The two Minolta Rokkor ones are fine but on one of the two Centon ones there is some oil leak. Blades open and close o.k. thankfully but i would hate this to happen to the Rokkor ones.

Should I Keep the aperture open wide, right down closed, or somewhere in the middle?
My eye nerve problem prohibits me to use the SLRs. and the lenses were inactive for 18 months.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Aug 2012 1:17AM
I doubt it makes the slightest difference, and also doubt it's something 99.9%+ of photographers gives any thought to!

Although no doubt someone will pop up and say it does. Lol! Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Aug 2012 1:30AM
It wouldn`t hurt to manually close the aperture blades and letting them spring open once in a while Smile
jimthistle73 10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2012 1:33AM
If you're never going to use them again, why not sell them or pass them on?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Aug 2012 1:36AM

Quote:The two Minolta Rokkor ones are fine

Some of the primes are quite highly sort after, sell them Smile
3 Aug 2012 7:48AM
I had been thinking this overnight, and my thought seems to be similar with your advice; it would better if I have the aperture to the highest figure, f16 or f22, right?

I had opened and closed them less times that I should have in these last months.
I have not sold them or passed them on because I hope my health issue improves! With all the respect to the ingenious work of the people behind digital cameras, I love my film cameras!
KingBee e2
8 398 2 Scotland
3 Aug 2012 9:55AM
I side with Carabosse - I've never given this a moment's thought, and I don't imagine most of us have ever done so. That said, now I'm beginnning to wonder about my treasured Canon EF lenses, specifically my 17-40L and my 28-105. It's been ages (like, 2 years) since I used either of these, mainly because I've been doing a lot of stuff with my two Lumix CSC cameras and/or haven't been out much and/or I can't lug my 40D + 17-40 on holiday abroad, at least not on budget airlines with their one-carry-on-bag allowance.

Should I be 'exercising' these lenses from time to time? Unless I happen to be on holiday, I just cannot find enough interest locally to make me want to get one camera out of its bag, let alone 5. Maybe I should sell a couple .......

But if it's not an issue .......
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
3 Aug 2012 10:23AM
Interesting question and one I've never considered before. As many probably know the shutter on old mechanical cameras should be fired occasionally to activate the springs and avoid the slower speeds losing accuracy. They should also be stored uncocked so the spring isn't strained.

But aperture blades?
I have lenses I haven't used for years that are at various apertures. I'm not sure it has any affect. The spring mechanism is on the lever that connects to the camera and when off the camera is in the contracted position so it won't strain and cause any problem.

It got me wondering if there is oil visible on the blades would it be better to have the blades at f/16/22 so it has chance to dry or at full aperture f/1.8 - f/2.8 so the oil is less exposed. I don't know the answer to that.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2012 10:30AM
when the lenses are off the camera, dosnt the iris open automatically to their widest aperature whatever the aperature ring says. then the blades are stopped down by the linkage (or later electronics) to take the exposure. you are probably more likely to get sticking shutters than lenses.

ive had some tamron, nikon and penax lenses in a cubboard for over 20 years and only play with them occasionally, never had one stick yet unless it had taken a knock.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
3 Aug 2012 10:32AM

Quote:when the lenses are off the camera, dosnt the iris open automatically to their widest aperature whatever the aperature ring says.

Not always it depends on the lens / and or the mount - Older Pentax K, for example, stop at the aperture set on the lens

Quote: you are probably more likely to get sticking shutters than lenses.

Some Olympus OM lenses were bad for sticking, also Praktica East German lenses were bad for oil.
NEWMANP e2
3 Aug 2012 11:16AM
do you mean the type where you had to open manually to focus and then stop down with a ring like the old zenit things.

now that was a camera to rip the film from its sprockets Grin

talking of old lenses, anyone got an old lens they dont want that will or could be made to fit on a billcliff camera c1900
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
3 Aug 2012 11:20AM

Quote:do you mean the type where you had to open manually to focus and then stop down with a ring like the old zenit things.

No those were called preset lenses. Much more modern ones like the Pentax -D FA 100mm f/2.8 macro stop at the aperture selected on the aperture ring

Quote:now that was a camera to rip the film from its sprockets

Yes that was arguably the worst camera in the business for film shredding

Quote:talking of old lenses, anyone got an old lens they dont want that will or could be made to fit on a billcliff camera c1900

Looks interesting ...you really need one with a shutter built in though don't you? Unless you're going for the cap off cap on time approach? You can pick up large format lenses with shutters for reasonable prices on ebay, but those are ones to watch for sticky shutters at slower speeds.
NEWMANP e2
3 Aug 2012 11:34AM
from what i can google i think it was a cap on cap off camera and a blanket over the head. (probably a good thing) there are lots of pictures on the inerweb with little brass lenses showing but no text to speak of i can find.

the camera is lovely and an early model made in manchester by a cabinet maker. its made from polished wood and brass but has no lens. the bellows is in very good condition. i supect a lens may be very expensive as some of these cameras on the market seem to be going for serious cash. its not mine, my mate Wharmby has come by it but im sure we will have to try it our somehow.

Phil
macroman 11 15.3k England
3 Aug 2012 12:27PM
I have A Praktina IIA(1963) and two Practica film cameras that haven't been used for ages, so I just checked them out of curiosity, and they performed perfectly, wih no iris problems.
There may be the occasional case of a problem with iris malfunction, where the lens is stored in damp/humid conditions resulting in corrosion on the elements but otherwise I reckon it's not worth bothering your head about.

Perhaps this will turn into another photographic urban myth. Grin Grin
3 Aug 2012 1:06PM
I had a little play with them, all put to f/16 or f/22 now. Issue started because I didn't know if the springs of the blades are pulled when the aperture is wide open or closed.

I've just realised that I had another 12 shots left on the black and white film :s

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.