Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What Bike?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111531 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 6:24 PM

After the excellent advice on coffee makers, I am now after some more on bikes.

I'm getting a new bike, it will be used for commuuting to work; 5 miles each way, some hills and all road. Ideally I would also like to use the bike for leisure and this will be on the South Downs on occasion.

I've seen several that I like but I am becoming frustrated at the choices. Do I get a road bike, light weight and good for the commute but not much else as far as I can see. A touring bike seems more comfortable but perhaps not much good for off road. Hybrids? Jack off all trades. Mountain bike, great for off road but possibly to chunky and heavy for the commute, etc etc.

Finances in the 500 mark.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Jul 2011 - 6:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 6:25 PM

I've got a motorbike for sale if your interested......and you can go off road.Wink

Last Modified By CathyT at 25 Jul 2011 - 6:26 PM
CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111531 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 6:39 PM

Ohhh tempting but not quite what I'm looking for Smile

Andy_Cundell
25 Jul 2011 - 6:42 PM

Go for a sports hybrid. You get the best of both worlds, a straighter sitting position compared to a racer with all the gearing of a racer! I have a Kona PHD (bit more than your willing to pay) and the lycra louts on racers don't know what's hit 'em when I overtake them! The thinner wheels make it ideal for road use with the occasional off road

Andy

Last Modified By Andy_Cundell at 25 Jul 2011 - 6:43 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 6:51 PM

If you want something you can put in your car boot, perhaps consider one of these.

Three of my friends have them, two of whom use them for travel to work.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
25 Jul 2011 - 7:20 PM

I have a hybrid now. Worst of both worlds. I've cycled on the tow paths occasionally, but for road use, I don't like it half as much as my old racer. Mind you, I was never particularly into mountain bikes.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
25 Jul 2011 - 7:21 PM

Quote: If you want something you can put in your car boot, perhaps consider one of these.

Three of my friends have them, two of whom use them for travel to work.

A colleague of mine used to have one of these - useful when part of your commute is by train when they have restricted bike storage. Wouldn't want to go up a hill on one. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315152 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 7:27 PM

Bromptons are good for a daily commute using trains etc, but there not really up to a ten mile daily cycle, the wheels are tiny.

A standard mountain bike (jack of all) will probably be best if your also looking for a little of road use, and 200-300 should be more than enough.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
25 Jul 2011 - 7:29 PM

There are lots of bikes out there in that price bracket, assuming you will be commuting in all weathers you should get something with mudguards and a rack to carry panniers. Don't go for anything with knobbly tread tires unless you want the extra effort to get fit. Something like this should fit the bill, but if you can push the budget a bit go for something fitted with an 8 or 11 speed Alfine hub gear to save you the "joy" of having to mess about with cheap derailleurs.

I am also treating myself to a new bike, in my case a sports tourer fitted with a 14 speed Rolhoff hub. Very expensive but a gorgeous piece of engineering.

Last Modified By cambirder at 25 Jul 2011 - 7:30 PM
Munro
Munro  638 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2011 - 7:37 PM

You may wish to consider a cyclo cross bike. Built around a road frame, but with heavier duty brakes and wheels. Yes they will come with "knobbly" tyres, albeit much lighter weight than those you will associate with mountain bikes. Anyway tyres can be changed to suit. Cyclo cross bikes are becoming much more popular nowadays due to their ability to be used on both the road and also on tracks etc. A very flexible alternative to what you are considering.

An ideal time to source a new bike as the 2011 models are reduced dramatically in price to make way for 2012 models. A useful starting point for looking for a sale bike would be online at either Evans Cycles or Wiggle etc, or any other of the large retailers and you may find something within your price bracket which suits.

Hope you are successful.

Mark

Last Modified By Munro at 25 Jul 2011 - 7:38 PM
CaptivePhotons
25 Jul 2011 - 7:38 PM

Quote: I have a hybrid now. Worst of both world

Is that a sport hybrid? I've looked but to be honest I'm really not that keen on the seats, they look very uncomfortable, I guess that accounts for the speed, can't wait to get off 'em!

I'm more inclined for comfort than speed.

This one

or this one

Perhaps this one.

Or a little more sporty

CaptivePhotons
25 Jul 2011 - 7:41 PM

Quote: assuming you will be commuting in all weathers you should get something with mudguards and a rack to carry panniers

Without a doubt.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315152 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 7:45 PM

I`ve been hearing good things about these, but its been twenty years or more since I`ve used a bike.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/steamer-2010-hybrid-bike-ec020536#rev...

CaptivePhotons
25 Jul 2011 - 7:52 PM

I have someting similar to that now Paul and it weighs 3.72 metric tonnes.... or thereabouts Grin

Juliee
Juliee  7382 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 7:59 PM

Just mentioned this to the husband, seeing as he's a bike man. He suggested a mountain bike, but one which you're able to stiffen the suspension.
Also, were you aware of the 'ride to work' scheme? You are able to buy one bike a year and all the accessories you need tax free. Evans support this scheme.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.