Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What Bit Depth is required for Inkjet printing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    21 Jan 2008 - 4:22 PM

I'm trying to create a fully colour managed work-flow and I've bought a Spyder2PRO to calibrate my Samsung monitor and had a custom printer profile produced by Permajet for the Epson 1290S, Epson Inks and Jessops 260 gsm Gloss paper combination I most commonly use. I'm using Photoshop CS3 and I've set up all of the Colour Management and Print Management settings as recommended and I've been having a go at Soft Proofing. The soft proof display for the custom profile does look closer to the raw print than the un-proofed display but its still leaves a bit to be desired. I normally work in 16-bit mode but I was at a Photoshop4Photographers workshop run by the RPS yesterday and it was mentioned that it was better to convert 16-bit images to 8-bit before printing before printing on older Epson inkjet printers.

I've tried to find some background to this on the net but the little I'm finding seems to be a bit contradictory so I thought I'd make use of the accumulated wisdom of the ages here on ePz.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Simon

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Jan 2008 - 4:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2008 - 4:39 PM

I always tend to send the files as 16bit tiffs or psd files to my Epson 1290s and all has been well 99% of the time.
    I guess one reason to convert to 8 bit first may be to reduce the size of the file which could possibly prevent errors whilst printing, to do with insufficient memory,etc.

As far as I'm aware there certainly isn't any advantage in sending a 16 bit file to an Epson 1290S, as opposed to an 8 bit file. Although I stand to be corrected if this isn't the case.

Last Modified By justin c at 21 Jan 2008 - 4:40 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2008 - 5:21 PM

I think your about right Justin, The way I read it, Most if not all desktop printers tend to be 8bit........Like monitors...!

No harm in transmitting an 16 bit data flow, But only 8 bit is read......!

psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    22 Jan 2008 - 8:30 AM

Thanks guys,

So as I understand it I can send my files in either 8 or 16-bit to my 1290S. Does anyone know if viewing them in either 8 or 16-bit will make a difference during soft-proofing?

Simon

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2008 - 8:33 AM

It shouldn't make any difference at all. The important thing is using the right profile. But I'm sure you know that already.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.