Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What camera's to look at

mikemarita 7 35 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2010 1:35PM
I still own a Canon A1 and a Canon T90 plus several FD lenses. In recent times I have used a camcorder more. I would like to get back into still photography again mainly for holidays but also to take photographs of our villa in Florida for website promotional purposes.

I bought a Canon G9 for my wife but seem to have used it more myself. I can see the benefits of being able to just get rid of all the shots you do not like and would like to now buy a DSLR. I understand that my FD lenses are not suitable for use with a new Canon DSLR so it seems I have to sdtart from scratch with any make etc. I do not wish to spend more than 1,000 to start off. can any of you experienced photographers please point me in the right direction.

I would ideally wish to have the camera with me when I go to Florida at the beginning of May. Should i also consider purchasing the camera in Florida if it is cheaper? If so are there any compatibility issues I should know about first other than maybe the power supply lead?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JamesGarfield 5 915 4 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2010 1:44PM
I can thoroughly recommend the Canon EOS 450D, as I used to have one, a friend has the 500D which is the newer model and also very good. Both of these fit well within your budget and would enable you to get some accessories such as an additional lens and still be within budget. I'm not sure about purchasing abroad with regards to compatibility but I can say that when I was in NYC the prices where comparable to those in the UK.
Hope this helps.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 Mar 2010 1:50PM
The good old GBP is not doing so well....Sad Hence the exchange rate against the dollar is not as fab as it used to be....!

Still no harm in checking prices before you fly, Try " Adorama " they are NY based, But should give you a clue as to prices in the USA as a whole.

Camera wise, Its a case of try everything out " Hands On " then see what takes your fancy, Performance wise thers nothing in it, Other than getting the best deal within your budget.

Nikon, Pentax, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, You'll be pleased with anything from any one of them......Wink
26 Mar 2010 2:04PM
Thanks James I will have a look at that one.

Thanks cameracat. I'll have a look as you say at Adorama as I do have some spare cash in our US account which went over at a better rate. Mind you it will have to be replaced later in the year!

One other thing, i do not understand the new lenses. ie what do they convert as from the old FD lenses. i have a 28mm, a 50mm and a 70-210mm in FD. What would i need to cover those areas?

Thanks for all in advice in advance!
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
26 Mar 2010 4:03PM
With a camera having a 1.6 crop factor such as the canons divide the FL by 1.6 to get what you need to buy as an equivalent

This would do the trick
Canon eos450d with ef-s-17-85mm-is and 70-300mm-is

Both are reasonable lenses with image stabilisation and the camera is a good performer too. Only just over your budget. at Warehouse Express
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
26 Mar 2010 4:23PM
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
26 Mar 2010 4:29PM
Or you could go for this

The 50D is a 'better' camera and the one lens gives you the equivalent of a 28mm-135mm. Incidently I have both of the lenses I mention and both perform very well. The 70-300mm is a particularly good lens.
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
26 Mar 2010 4:48PM
26 Mar 2010 5:16PM
Thanks Malcolm

Your photographs are amazing!

That package does seem to work financially. I note you have the 40D and that the 50D supercedes this one. Can you get the 2 lenses you mentioned to go with the 50D? Would it be the right choice of lenses/ How much more would it cost me!! I checked out Adorama and a 50D with a 18-135 Autofocus lense f3.5-5.6 is was $1498.99 which is more expensive than buying in the UK.

Thanks.
MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
26 Mar 2010 5:27PM

Quote:Can you get the 2 lenses you mentioned to go with the 50D?

Yes you can It's a little more expensive.

Unless you go to canon 'L' glass which is very expensive you need to see how lenses perform as they do vary. The 70-300mm that I mention has been called an 'L' glass lens in disguise but is far less expensive.

The two lenses would be fine with the 50D. The 17-85mm is a good walkabout lens that is quite versatile and reasonably good at high ISO too. The IS allows you to do all sorts of things a normal lens doesn't with respect to longer exposures at slower speeds. I have taken shots at ISO 200 as slow as a third of a second and held and slower when leant up against something.
Cristian 10 950 1
26 Mar 2010 5:43PM
I have a 50D and can recommend it, but depends on what you are really looking for. The new 550D looks good, but personally I'd still choose a xxD range model over it. Features and size will vary.

Interested to see the comments on here about the 70-300 IS as I've been thinking of this lens as an upgrade to my Sigma 70-300 for a while now. Malcolms images are great (as too are his wide angle ones!) and prove what you can do with this lens in the right hands.
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2010 7:00PM
to get good shots of the property you could just hire someone or even rent the camera for a few days.
I'd also consider the sigma 10-20mm lense on a 550 body for wide angle inside shots.
11 Apr 2010 8:25PM
Why would I choose the 50D ahead of the newer 550? Is it purely because of the build quality? Can I also throw the Nikon D90 into the equation?
Thanks Mike
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
12 Apr 2010 2:14AM
The D90 is a good choice also; almost bought one myself recently. However, I went for the Pentax K20D. It's 2 years since it was released, but it has more than enough bells and whistles for anybody, and is weather resistant. Pentax have recently released quite a few weather resistant lenses, some in the entry to medium level for great prices, and the battery pack is going for about $130.00 USD and is also weather resistant. Also backward compatibility with 60 years of Pentax lenses. You could have a K20D, and 18-55mm, plus 50-200mm pentax lenses for $1000.00 USD. Pentax has the image stabilisation built into the camera body, rather than the lenses, so you only pay once for that feature. You might enjoy using some of the old Pentax film camera primes, available for very reasonable prices.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.