Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

what camera to buy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    IAN05
    IAN05  3
    4 Sep 2011 - 1:58 PM

hi everybody
    i want to take photography up as an ameteur and i dnt know what camara to buy as a first good one iwondered if people could help
    thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Sep 2011 - 1:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

A12PHOTO
    A12PHOTO  4 United Kingdom
    4 Sep 2011 - 2:05 PM

Whats you budget ? any preferance in make ie Nikon,Canon,Sony,Fuji.
    But a Nikon D5100 is a good start.
    Pete

ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Sep 2011 - 2:08 PM

Not an easy answer considering the limited Question, what is your budget if you have one.
    What field of photography do you wish to get into, or is it a bit of everything.

If budget is not a big issue then a dslr like the canon 7d would be my recommendation as it is a good camera and i personally wished i knew about it before i brought my first dslr.
    The canon 7d is an awsome camera and retails at around 1100.00-1200.00 for body only, then you need to think of lenses to go with that and now this is where i end this part of my advise, because without knowing the type of photography you wish to do i cannot advise.

Ian.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7727 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Sep 2011 - 2:40 PM

I'd say the 7D is overkill for a beginner, unless you know you're going to get very seriously into photography and have very deep pockets (because you'd need some very expensive lenses to make the most of it too).

Without any sort of information as to what you want to use it for and how much you have to spend, any recommendation would be meaningless. There are hundreds of different cameras on the Market and that's because to some degree they suit the people they're targeted at.

Once you know what sector/ camera type you're going for, people here might give some advice on their preferences/experience - but it's always a subjective thing to some extent.

MarkBroughton

Hi Ian
    I suppose the first question would be are you looking for a compact or a DSLR / Bridge camera (somewhere inbetween) then for us to be able to advise , a rough budget would be handy.

I started with the Canon Eos 400D which is kind of above the bottom of the range but still in the "beginners" camera bracket. I used that faithfully for 3 and a half years and only recently have I upgraded, but not because it doesn't produce good images any more, it is a very capable camera. I cant help but think that jumping straight into a Canon 7D or such may be too big a leap if you haven't already owned a DSLR before, and in my opinion if you were to be spending that kind of money, you would be better off buying a cheaper body and few different lenses. If you are looking for an all rounder, a standard kit lens would be fine to start off with like an 18-55mm which can come as a kit with a Canon DSLR, and i think the other manufacturers also offer similar kit lenses.

Hope this helps
    Mark

User_Removed
    4 Sep 2011 - 3:28 PM

The way the question is worded, it does suggest that Ian may not know the difference between a compact, a bridge, a CSC or a dSLR at this stage. We don't want to scare him away from the wonderful world of amateur photography by suggesting kit costing several hundreds of pounds, let alone 1000s.

What we all know, but are sometimes loathe to acknowledge, is that 90% of the photographs we take could have been taken perfectly adequately with a very inexpensive camera.

So my advice to Ian would be to dip his toe in at the shallow end. Buy a secondhand compact by any of the reputable makers for 30 - 50 and start taking photographs.

Then keep reading this Forum and buy a few copies of general photographic magazines and, over the next few months, learn a lot more about the hobby.

Yes - my guess is that before the end of the year he will want to stick his first camera back on eBay and buy something a wee bit more advanced but, by then, he will have a much better idea of what type of camera will suit his emerging needs.

Devon_Wild
    4 Sep 2011 - 5:30 PM

I would go along with LeftForum's advice, pretty pointless paying out a whack of money then finding out that it's not for you. good luck though Smile ...........Rob

IAN05
    IAN05  3
    4 Sep 2011 - 9:19 PM

someone has told me bout a lumix z38 and i got bout 2 hundred 50 pound and i want to take a photos of everything

WhiteRose1
    WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41029 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England133 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Sep 2011 - 12:30 PM

The lumix FZ38 has a newer model - FZ45 and retails at Amazon for 237.70. Good reviews. I started on an even earlier model and the only thing that bugged me was the electronic view finder. Nothing against that model, I just prefer to see what I'm taking in 'real time'.
    The advantage of starting with something of this type is when you eventually progress to DSLR you will still probably want to keep it to hand when not specifically out 'togging'.

Dave

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.