Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What can be Done to Stop this

kodachrome 3 530
17 Dec 2012 9:10AM
I'm a shooter and also an ex employee of the Met Police. We found in various surveys that gun crime actually increased after the pistol ban. This was mainly from black market weapons smuggled in from Eastern Europe. We also found that the most law abiding section of the British community were licensed gun owners and with the eception of our own gun nutter tragedies of the past have not commited a gun crime with their licensed weapon.

The US government and the NRA need to get their act together and make it compulsory to have all weapons stored under lock and key as we do in the UK. I'm not against shooting as a ligitimate sport as I and many others shoot Olympic Match rifle and we are considered athletes by the NSRA and the IOC. We win medals as well, but the government and the BBC choose to ignore that because of politics.
The US needs to legislate that all guns be stored at home or at the local club in a burglar proof steel cabiet which is law in the UK. Also key holders should only be with the gun owner and no one else, especially kids. Kids should also have no access to the keys.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ErictheViking e2
2 124 102 Scotland
17 Dec 2012 9:13AM
My thoughts are that the reasons for this lie rooted in modern society. The majority no longer teach their children right from wrong, that not everything is possible and you cannot have everything you want. Today our young generation are taught its ok to make mistakes because if its big enough you will get rewarded (the banking crisis), that if you do wrong the consequences are small (see the number of underage drinkers who frequent our streets most evenings).
We need to return to an education were parents are responsible for their children, that revenge is not an answer to not getting what you want, that life can be unfair and only the actions of the individual can change this and we need to try and reduce the number of children who are not guided into the area of society they will flourish best in.

Eric
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 9:39AM

Quote:The US needs to legislate that all guns be stored at home or at the local club in a burglar proof steel cabiet

Americans say they have guns to protect themselves. How can they protect themselves if their gun is locked away in a burglar proof steel cabinet? If the yanks want guns and want to play cowboys and Indians, all guns should be kept at a gun club. At home they cannot use the gun, so why have them there. To protect themselves! When have they ever used their gun at home to protect themselves? I would have thought 99% of them have never had to use their gun at home. Automatic and semi-automatic weapons should be banned to home owners and only allowed for military use. The top and bottom of this is money! Weapons are big business in the World. Countries sell these weapons, turning a blind eye to where they will finish up going. Terrorist groups around the World can get their hands on weapons, as long as they have the money to pay for them. Where does the Taliban get the funds for purchasing their weapons? Certain countries who are against the Western World. The way things are going, donīt be surprised, the World is heading for a 3rd World war. North Korea, now has the capability of launching weapons of mass destruction, as do some of the Arab countries. These fanatics will not blink an eye in using them.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Dec 2012 9:42AM
One solution - given by a Texan - was to, and I jest ye not, arm school teachers.....
cambirder 10 7.2k England
17 Dec 2012 9:50AM

Quote:Americans say they have guns to protect themselves. How can they protect themselves if their gun is locked away in a burglar proof steel cabinet?

Well it would help because a higher percentage of Americans are killed unintentionally by guns that the total number killed in the UK.
cambirder 10 7.2k England
17 Dec 2012 9:51AM

Quote:One solution - given by a Texan - was to, and I jest ye not, arm school teachers.....

They were dangerous enough when all they had was a blackboard rubber to hurl at you Grin
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Dec 2012 9:58AM
Sad when your reaction to "yet another mass killing" is no longer one of horror and sorrow
collywobles 10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 10:00AM

Quote:These days the government is planning to drastically increase the price of alcoholic drinks such that the law abiding pensioner will find it difficult or impossible to afford.

What the hell has that got to do with guns and gun crime!

Puzzled of Tonbridge Wells
17 Dec 2012 10:11AM
The solution is staring us in the face: arm the schoolchildren. Would this latest tragedy have come about if one in three five-year-olds carried a concealed weapon?
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 10:14AM

Quote:One solution - given by a Texan - was to, and I jest ye not, arm school teachers.....

I heard yesterday that there is a petition for gun control on the White House website and it has 10,000 signatures.
Right underneath it is another petition with 4,000 signatures to arm all teachers.

That says it all, really.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Dec 2012 10:18AM
sticking plaster on a blown off leg
thewilliam 6 4.8k
17 Dec 2012 10:41AM
In the USA, "hot" burglaries are rare because criminals know that a householder could well be armed and well able to defendhim/herself.

Here in the UK as cars get ever more difficult to steal, there's one alarming trend: the criminal breaks into the car owner's house to steal the keys and it's often with considerable violence.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
17 Dec 2012 12:03PM
For every gun victim, there must be more than a hundred killed on the roads and yet this seems perfectly acceptable to society.

Back in the 1950s and 60s, when I was a younsgster and the death penalty could be imposed, murders were uncommon and shootings were so rare that they always made the front page. Now that firearms are more tightly controlled, we have 3 or 4 murders a week.

Progressive banning of anything that can be used as a weapon won't stop the killing because the murderers will use a potato peeler if that's all they can lay their hands on.

Murder is just a symptom of a sick society.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2012 12:10PM

Quote:For every gun victim, there must be more than a hundred killed on the roads and yet this seems perfectly acceptable to society.

Even if that were relevant it is totally inaccurate. Actions are taken regularly to try and reduce the number of road deaths. Drink/drug driving laws, sending people to jail if they fall asleep at the wheel and kill people, improving roads, reducing speed limits, car safety legislation, etc.

The main difference is that the vast majority of road deaths are 'accidental' as opposed to the car being aimed at the victim. With gun deaths it is the opposite.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
17 Dec 2012 12:26PM
Sometimes I get the impression that killing has become acceptable to our rulers because the judiciary imposes penalties that are getting ever lighter.

A couple of years back and not far from here, two youths beat an old man to death in an unprovoked attack. This was judged to be "manslaughter" and the Courte imposed a "savage and deterrant sentence" of two years in prison.

Last year, two drunken youngsters decided to have a race through our town and drove at speeds of 80mph, killing a teenage girl who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. One of them didn't even have a driving licence. The lenient sentences so disgusted the public that the penalties were stiffened on appeal.

One good friend managed a charity shop that gives work placements to "lifers" who were being groomed for release. He was often shocked by the short time that murderers spent in prison.

Young offenders should be given a sharp lesson when they offend for the first time. They need to understand that society won't tolerate their behaviour.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.