Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What can't I do?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

peter2108
peter2108  5 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2008 - 5:14 PM

I've just started with a Canon 400D. Extraordinary! But my friend (there is only one :-( ) calls me "Mr Gloom". So I am wondering what I can't do with the 400D - seriously I don't want to take my photography down a path where the results look wretched against stuff taken with a 600mm Canon lens on a 1D body. Can anyone draw these boundaries for me?

P.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Oct 2008 - 5:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hugeknot
Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2008 - 5:19 PM

What can't you do?
You can't hold it underwater for very long.
You can't drop it from a great height
You can't put it in your jean pocket
You can't mix it as a salad
You can't use it as a trampoline

I am not sure if this will help your 'Mr Gloom' rubric, but it would be a good idea to avoid these things. Great little camera BTW.

Anthony
Anthony  125645 forum posts Scotland17 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2008 - 5:20 PM

the camera body is not the most important part of the equation, the lens is. a really good lens will give great results, the 400d is a decent camera body, so you should be able to do just about anything. (As long as you have the good lens of course, lol)

You should only be limited by your own attitude and mentality, believe in yourself and you will be fine.

Good luck.

Anthony

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2008 - 5:22 PM

Quote: seriously I don't want to take my photography down a path where the results look wretched against stuff taken

Become a better photographer, then. Smile

Equipment can support you - to an extent - in that endeavour but it is a delusion to think it can make all the difference!

A really good photographer, with a decent compact, can produce far better stuff than an inept one with a bagful of expensive photographic goodies! Wink

Last Modified By Carabosse at 4 Oct 2008 - 5:25 PM
pmorgan
pmorgan  7217 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2008 - 5:47 PM

I took this hand held with a 300D and it has been one of my most successful images to date. Its not really down to the camera, it's down to the person behind it, the glass in front of it, and the subject and light.

Hope this helps.

Rgds
Paul

SKavanagh
SKavanagh  6312 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2008 - 6:33 PM

I have just upgraded from a 400d to 1Dmk111 not because the camera wasnt any good just because of the frame rate. Like everyone else has said it is down to lenses and you i still use the 400d with one lens and the 1d with another saves changing lenses and getting dust on the sensors. Once i have processed all the photos after a day i cant tell which camera took which. Invest in good glass and you wont go wrong with the 400d. Like Paul has shown doesnt matter what camera you have. Read all the mags about composition and 3rds and get to know what your camera can do off the presets, just get out and use it thats the way to learn and dont be afraid to ask other togs most are to willing to talk to you about photography just make sure you have your pillow handy Wink
Steve

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
peter2108
peter2108  5 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2008 - 8:32 PM

Quote: Once i have processed all the photos after a day i cant tell which camera took which.

Ah, that is what I wanted to hear.

Thanks, Peter

NickParry
NickParry  81016 forum posts Wales79 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2008 - 8:42 PM

Quote: I've just started with a Canon 400D. Extraordinary! But my friend (there is only one :-( ) calls me "Mr Gloom". So I am wondering what I can't do with the 400D - seriously I don't want to take my photography down a path where the results look wretched against stuff taken with a 600mm Canon lens on a 1D body. Can anyone draw these boundaries for me?

P.

As a non-camera-snob its not what you use it how you use it. Have fun, experiment, don't try to be like others, do your own thing.

I know many photographers, with over 20 years of experience, who use high end equipment and they are c**p photographers. I know others with standard equipment, and less years of experience, who produce more interesting stuff.

That said, many here have decent equipment and can use it Smile

I was at a studio yesterday with a photographer with months of experience who was producing high end stuff. The reason for this is that he had learned how to use his camera and its limits, but most importantly how to use his eyes and imagination.

Nick Smile

Last Modified By NickParry at 4 Oct 2008 - 8:48 PM
gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6519 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2008 - 2:32 AM

The most important thing to remember is an eye for a photo is more important than expensive gear, good photographers photograph what bad ones walk past. - gary

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014486 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2008 - 3:54 AM

Quote: A really good photographer, with a decent compact, can produce far better stuff than an inept one with a bagful of expensive photographic goodies!

I've proven that many times, haven't I CB?

Hoffy
Hoffy  9212 forum posts England16 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2008 - 9:41 AM

The camera can do anything, if it is allowed to, the only thing that lets it down all of the time is the person holding it.

Why the hell are you worried about what others take, get off your bum and go out there and take piture and learn by your mistakes.
We will tell you if you have got it wrong, we won't tell you in a nasty way and in 3 or 4 years you to can be that person with the 600mm lens with the top notch camera. But how do you know when you don't know what you want to take or do. You could find you like model work or macro.

Trust me if you think you are going to walk out tomorrow and take picture like a pro or a high quality amature and that is all you are worried about then sell the camera, However if you can embrace the journey to that level like all the other great photographers on here have done then you will become a master of one of the most special things you will ever know.

Sorry to be so abrupt but go take pictures, stick them up and let us know and we will try and give you contructive comments on your work.

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2008 - 9:59 AM

Quote: I don't want to take my photography down a path where the results look wretched against stuff taken with a 600mm Canon lens on a 1D body.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. You don't need a 600mm or a 1D to create good images. Make the most of what you've got and enjoy the photography experience, which is of far more importance than how big/expensive your equipment may be.
Think on the plus side, your back and arms are much less likely to ache from a day in the field carrying your 400D around compared to the weight of a 1D and 600mm, plusses and minuses Smile

peterboyce
9 Oct 2008 - 2:17 PM

I have a 400d myself and i have thought about upgrading it,but then i think why should i as i think that the pictures that it produces are pretty good,i would much prefer to invest in better lenses,as per most peoples thoughts.

dcash29
dcash29  81898 forum posts England
9 Oct 2008 - 5:42 PM

I'm far from a good photographer, although i was on an EOS course some years ago and one guy had all the kit.....£2000 body £1000 lens another £3500 lens.

But one of his questions was that he couldnt photograph a bird in a bush with a blue sky in the background. It turned out he didnt even know he could alter the metering of the camera never mind which mode.

Says it all really

scottishphototours

I once had a French guy on a one-to-one tour to Glencoe who turned up with 3 bin bags full of boxes. Turned out to be £22K worth of Canon gear... brand new Canon gear...

He wanted me to teach him to use it so he could get shots like mine. We spent the first 1/2 day opening the boxes and the last 1/2 day putting the stuff back in the boxes. The salesman who sold him the gear got it shipped out to Scotland for him but failed to suggest he might need a bag to carry it in !

There are definitely some people with more money than sense.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.