Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What causes this please?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
AlanJ
AlanJ e2 Member 1410 forum postsAlanJ vcard England
30 Dec 2013 - 7:35 AM

Taken for one of the weekly challenges. There is a "ghost" around the image. Particularly at the top of the cheese.
Canon 650d 17-55 2.8 and on tripod

treat-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Dec 2013 - 7:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CTee
CTee  768 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2013 - 8:23 AM

May not be the answer but did you switch off anti-shake ? As it can cause problems when used whilst on a tripod as it is trying to resolve a problem which doesn't exist and induces a vibration in the process. Some models of cameras can handle this situation others can't. Also did you press the shutter directly? This can still induce movement either use a trigger or in the case of a still subject use the timer function so you press the shutter and the camera delays the taking of the picture by 2 seconds so any movement has stopped.
Hope that helps Smile

AlanJ
AlanJ e2 Member 1410 forum postsAlanJ vcard England
30 Dec 2013 - 8:34 AM

Thanks Colin. The stabiliser was on. So maybe that was it!
I used a remote to release the shutter.
Thanks for the reply. I will try set it up again and see if that works. Cheers Smile

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3794 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2013 - 8:54 AM

Also, make sure everyone in the house is still if you have wooden floors. It's amazing how much movement there can be even from someone walking in another room on the same floor.

rayme330
rayme330 e2 Member 2rayme330 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 9:26 AM

You can't set this shot up again Alan, the subject will have been eaten. Grin

Ray

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 10:06 AM

The cheese is going out of focus so part of the ghost there is the bokeh of being out of focus - If you do set it up again try f8 as well as f2.8.

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2013 - 10:18 AM

It is very unlikely the IS would cause this affect only in part of the image. It is the shallow depth of field.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3794 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2013 - 10:20 AM

If you look closely, though, none of the image is sharp.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41197 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 10:35 AM

It isn't unsharpness or focus. It's definitely vertical movement...probably camera movement. The cheese and grapes have the same sized halo despite being different distances. Perhaps your tripod head isn't perfectly rigid, or it flexed slightly, or even vibrations from the floor may have caused it. The actual movement is only a fraction of a mm.

If you try again, set the self timer, that way there will be no touching the camera at the moment of exposure.

Nick

Last Modified By Sooty_1 at 30 Dec 2013 - 10:36 AM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82313 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 11:07 AM

Definite movement in my humble opinion. It could be that the IS was trying to compensate for movement that wasn't there (although I haven't personally had this problem when using IS). I think it more probable that the camera was moved - e.g. did you use a cable release or self timer to reduce movement when depressing the shutter? What was your shutter speed? (As oldblokeh states above wooden floors can be a problem, and you need a sturdy tripod). I had very soft images when using a tele lens on a tripod until I realised that the mirror's movement was leading to camera movement - mirror lock up helped eliminate the problem.

EddieAC
EddieAC e2 Member 9679 forum postsEddieAC vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2013 - 11:09 AM

Sometimes the movement of the mirror when taking the photo can cause vibrations and may have contributed if it wasn't the cause. You can try taking the shot in live view mode next time as the mirror will already be out of the way.

indemnity
indemnity  5328 forum posts
30 Dec 2013 - 12:02 PM

Movement is camera not subject. Is tripod on solid floor or carpet? Was it weighted?

shakeyhands
shakeyhands e2 Member 2252 forum postsshakeyhands vcard Canada
30 Dec 2013 - 12:17 PM

Alan, I bet your hands were shaking from a "wee" bit over indulgence the night beforeWink and the vibrations travelled though the remote remote cable Grin TongueTongue

Shakey

petebfrance
30 Dec 2013 - 12:41 PM

A lot depends on how stable the tripod is and how gentle / violent the camera mirror movement and shutter are. I have an old Cobra tripod (standard, low cost aluminium tube) but although the head locks reasonably well the column is a bit wobbly - combined with the mirror-up movement (mirror-lock helps here) and focal plane shutter that can be quite violent this tends to lead to movement.

I currently use a bridge camera and for photos on the table-top I always put it on the same table-top if possible (we have wooden floors), support with books, use time delay and hold the thing firmly with a lot of downwards pressure to counteract the 'give' in the books. I've had quite a few showing movement when I haven't held it firmly enough.....

Last Modified By petebfrance at 30 Dec 2013 - 12:43 PM
MichaelMelb_AU
30 Dec 2013 - 12:44 PM

I had a similar effect, if even more pronounced, under some of energy saving bulbs. Maybe hard to believe, but this is true.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.