Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What colour 35mm film to use?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Skyhunter66
    30 Jul 2012 - 4:13 PM

Ok so armed with my Canon AE1 Programme I intend to make use of the gap in the British weather and get outside to take some photo's! It's a long time since I had to choose film so i would appreciate any advice. So I figure most of what I will be doing is portrait alongside some landscape when I head to the coastal areas of West Wales. I have just sent off a couple of rolls of Kodak Ektra 100 so will see how they fair when I get the prints back.

So question is then what other colour film should I try for outdoors, British mixed weather portraits and some landscape?? Any thoughts on black and white under the same conditions would be welcome.

thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Jul 2012 - 4:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

slaughteredlamb
    30 Jul 2012 - 4:17 PM

I pretty much only use Kodak Ektar 100 for colour film because I just love the look of this film so much. If you want faithful true to life colours than Ektar isn't the stock for you but if you want images that leap off the screen/print, that are rich and vibrant without being over the top then I honestly think you'll be hard pushed to beat it.

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2012 - 4:18 PM

I get along fine with Fujifilm Superia 200, I normally shoot 1 or 2 rolls a week throughout the year in my Nikon bodies, and I get 9"x6"glossy prints back from the processors.

Skyhunter66
    30 Jul 2012 - 4:34 PM

Ok thanks - I bought the Ektar earlier in the year and I am looking forward to seeing the results - yesterday I was shooting outside and getting F1.4 - 2.8 at 1000 shutter speed but it is the first time I have used a film SLR since the 1980's so anything could happen if I am honest! I sent them off to The Darkroom who seemed extremely friendly and helpful on the phone earlier.

SteveCharles
    30 Jul 2012 - 4:45 PM

Colour print film: Kodak Portra 160 & 400, and Fuji pro 160 & 400, both good for portraiture. The Fuji has a nice palette for landscape too.

You could try slide film also, a dying breed but Fuji Provia/Velvia available, but print film easier for getting prints (obviously) and scanning.

Black & white, comes down to preference (like colour), the Ilford FP4/HP5 make a good all round combo, I like Kodak Tri-X, If you want to get lab process & prints with your colour film, C41 black & white film like Kodak BW400CN or Ilford XP2 make life a bit easier.

Fluke
    Fluke  659 forum posts Wales
    31 Jul 2012 - 9:06 AM

Kodak Portra is the best negative film I've ever used with natural colours and very fine grain, very easy to scan too. Only downside is that it is expensive, but for experimenting I have always found Fuji Superia very good for the price.

Last Modified By Fluke at 31 Jul 2012 - 9:06 AM
    Skyhunter66
    31 Jul 2012 - 4:48 PM

Ok thanks everyone - I have ordered some Portra and Neopan and look forward to the results...

Skyhunter66
    1 Aug 2012 - 10:30 AM

Update - well I sent off the Ektar film to The Darkroom Monday and they arrived back this morning - I reckon that is quick and the quality is excellent too! I love the colours of Ektar - I can see why it might not be for everyone but I think the colour and sharpness are stunning. It will be interesting to see how the Portra compares

pablophotographer

outdoors British weather? ISO 200 for colour negative film Kodak or Fuji (better for greens)
    black and white Kodak BCN400BW is a good all rounder, I've been always happy with the results.

Good luck

SteveCharles
    24 Aug 2012 - 12:07 PM

Kodak have announced they are selling their film production business. Buy it while you can...

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'll pay 1. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.