Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What DLSR will take Pentax K lenses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    DPhillips
    DPhillips  3 South Africa
    2 Sep 2010 - 6:10 PM

I have a Pentax SFXn camera with numerous lenses. I now wish to purchase a DSLR.

Can anyone recommend a camera which will be able to take these lenses?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Sep 2010 - 6:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    2 Sep 2010 - 6:19 PM

A Pentax..??

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Sep 2010 - 6:19 PM
    DPhillips
    2 Sep 2010 - 6:25 PM

Mike it is a Pentax SFXn . The old film version.

Maybe the model name is different elsewhere.

User_Removed
    2 Sep 2010 - 6:40 PM

See my response in your new post Dorian... Wink

(You need to understand that it takes time to get a response to Forum posts Dorian... Smile My apologies if it appeared a 'tad' light-hearted'!)

I have a couple of old Nikon film body lenses that I can still use 100% on my current Nikon dSLR's... Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Sep 2010 - 6:43 PM
    DPhillips
    2 Sep 2010 - 6:53 PM

Mike I would also like to own a top of the list Nikon, but being a pensioner the Pentax was sufficient for me. It is still a good camera, but I wish to convert to Digital.SadTongue

User_Removed
    2 Sep 2010 - 6:55 PM

You're missing the point Dorian.

(BTW - I am also of pensionable age Tongue)

Good luck.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Sep 2010 - 6:56 PM
    javam
    javam e2 Member 91083 forum postsjavam vcard United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 7:24 PM

Any of the pentax DSLRs will take your lenses. The level of functionality you will get will depend on the lenses in question.

If they are M type (first generation k mount with no A position on the aperture dial) they will only work in manual and only with evaluative metering (iirc)
    If they are A type I believe you get more metering options.
    If they are F type (same era as your body) you should get full functionality with AF as well.
    If they are the later FA type full functionality as well.

One thing to bear in mind is that all the pentax DSLRs have a 1.5x crop factor so your lenses will all have an effective focal length 50% longer i.e. the trusty 50 will give a view equal to a 75mm on your film camera. If you have a 28 or 24mm for landscape you will need to consider buying a new ultra wide angle to get the same results.

Depending on how wide you want to go and what you already have I would recommend looking at the sigma 10-20 (f4-f5.6 version), the Pentax DA 16-45, or if you have really deep pockets the DA* 16-50mm. The last two make good multi purpose carry round lenses.

If you want to get an ultra wide angle that works with your film camera, have a look on ebay for the FA-J 18-35 as that was what came with the first pentax DSLR but is actually full frame.

In terms of which Pentax digital SLR body to go for I would avoid the ist generation as they are very long in the tooth now. Anything from the K10D onwards will give good results and the K10D can be picked up for a reasonably modest cost.

Hope that helps, but let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Neil

Last Modified By javam at 2 Sep 2010 - 7:26 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014500 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 7:52 PM

The A type will give auto aperture if set at A. The M must have an adapter, cheap on Ebay. The Pentax 16-45mm f4 is a poular lens if you need wider angle, and it goes for about half the list price on Ebay.

I got the K20D last winter for about 700.00 USD, new. It doesn't have video, but I don't miss it. It's a solid weather resistant body.

The K7 is out there, I decided to save a bit and get the older K20D. The Kx is small, light, and an exceptional little camera body. The prices are very reasonable.

I'm a pensioner also.Smile

The kit lenses 18-55mm and the 50-200mm are no-brainers, excellent lenses, small, light, and I got both for 185.00 USD on Ebay. The 18-55 has a close focus of 8 inches.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 2 Sep 2010 - 7:58 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 8:15 PM

Quote: I have a couple of old Nikon film body lenses that I can still use 100% on my current Nikon dSLR's

Quote: Mike I would also like to own a top of the list Nikon, but being a pensioner the Pentax was sufficient for me

Now to me that sounds a tad sour.....Sad It may not be of course.....Smile

I think your going to have to lighten up a bit, Its all to easy to take forum posts the wrong way, Especially if you make more than one forum post on the " same " subject....Grin

Glad to see you have the answers you need.

Wink

DPhillips
    2 Sep 2010 - 8:30 PM

Thanks for your comments cameracat,but there is one thing I cannot endure and that is sarcasm. What was meant by Pentax ?.

This forum is tops and I wish to thank all the participants for their helpful advice.

javam
    javam e2 Member 91083 forum postsjavam vcard United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 8:33 PM

Quote: The A type will give auto aperture if set at A. The M must have an adapter, cheap on Ebay.

Think you are confusing m with m42 there Denny. M is the early (no contacts) bayonet, but it is a good point that the m42 lenses can also be used on a pentax dslr with the adapter.

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014500 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 10:08 PM

Ah, you are right. It is the M42 that needs an adaptor, thanks.

cathal
    cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Sep 2010 - 11:17 PM

I think the reply "A Pentax?" was supposed to mean... "Your Pentax lenses will fit on a Pentax dSLR body." Like Nikon, Pentax have retained mount compatibility with each generation of K-mount camera. In addition to considering a Pentax dSLR, a Samsung GX series body also uses the K mount. I don't think these can be bought new any more, put could make a good used buy. Note that the Samsung NX will not take K mount lenses (unless an adapter is used).

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    3 Sep 2010 - 10:37 AM

Quote: Thanks for your comments cameracat,but there is one thing I cannot endure and that is sarcasm. What was meant by Pentax ?.

This forum is tops and I wish to thank all the participants for their helpful advice.

Pentax means Pentax...what's so difficult?

q: Which DSLR will take my Pentax SFXn lenses
    a: A Pentax..

brownargus
    3 Sep 2010 - 10:52 AM

I have a very nice K10D going for sale for around 250 if you are interested. Virtually as new with less than 4000 shutter operations.

John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.