Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What do you think?

hmanton 6 3
7 Nov 2013 3:16PM
Hi all

I am trying to decide whether to continue with photography or not.

I have put out a photo poll to get some advice on the quality etc. I would like individual photos to be liked etc too.

http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/Helen_Manton/library/

Many thanks

Helen

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
7 Nov 2013 3:30PM
You may find that people like to view images in the EPZ gallery.

Only you can decide if you wish to continue with photography in my opinion and not others.

Ken
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
7 Nov 2013 3:33PM
Hi Helen,
Your pf here on ePz is empty. I suggest that instead of asking us to evaluate your images on another website, you start uploading here to the Critique Gallery to get expert opinion.

Malc
llareggub e2
4 757 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 3:53PM
This may sound harsh but if you are asking others if you should continue with photography then I believe you should drop yer stuff on eBay and go and do something you enjoy that does not need the approval of others!

No I have not looked at your site, I don't need to, it sounds like you are not enjoying it, so don't do it any more!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 3:55PM

Quote:Hi all

I am trying to decide whether to continue with photography or not.

What are you not getting from photography that disheartens you so much? s you enthusiasm linked to whether other people like your images - there is nothing wrong if the answer is 'yes', it is just that it is unusual for 'do you like my images' to be linked with 'I don't enjoy photography anymore' ?
hmanton 6 3
7 Nov 2013 4:06PM
Oh, i enjoy photography, it more that the images that are produced are viable to be used in public sphere?
guess, i am just wondering if they are good enough for me to pursue the selling/exhibit aspect? I find my personal opinion (memories) makes that decision a little biased: i was looking for a more non-biased version. Smile
hmanton 6 3
7 Nov 2013 4:13PM
Also, just uploaded them to my portfolio, as per suggestion. Thanks!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 4:44PM
I don't know if it is the web conversion but they don't look particularly sharp to me. The racoon 's eyes are sharp but it looks like you have used a very narrow DOF which distracts me - maybe the other are the same root cause?
I think your landscapes are better composed than the wildlife shots and competition in the wildlife photography is ferocious: if you are talking about selling or exhibiting you only need to browse this website to see the sort of standard you need to achieve to make an impact.

So unfortunately I am not sure they are up to standard for selling/exhibition but that would not be a reason for me to give up. Try and be objective when critiquing your shots - it is hard but can be learnt. You can have a shot that you love for the sense of achievement or from the memories but still accept its technical limitations.
May I suggest that you join a camera club. You will learn a lot from other members and judges. There will be othere people photo's which are going to be better then yours but also there will be others worse. Also you never know what image is going to win a competition. We have had photographs which have won first place and entered in another competition have been given a low score. Photography is all about enjoying the photographs you have taken.
gary_d e2
7 576 13 Wales
7 Nov 2013 8:09PM
Take images that please you and if others like them that's a bonus, that's my philosophy at any rate.

I am never going to be the best but I thoroughly enjoy what I do.

Just have fun
Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 8:38PM
Tip-top Gary ... undred percent agree with your response.

Helen; I have to agree with others that suggested you at least include some images on your EPZ PF. Thankfully you have. I've looked as a member of the viewing public that has the choice to say 'yeah I like that it's cool;' or ...' I hate that one, they would have been better off leaving the lens cap on.'

You have some nice images, but with so many incredible photographers here on EPZ I think your own are 'just fine.' I think you are not UK based so I have no idea what it might be like earning a living from photography where you live.

If you REALLY want a 'non-biased' opinion on you pictures I would have thought a non photographic place might have been better. Then again a member of the public with no knowledge on how to take a picture with a camera, will either like an image or not ... for what it is, and without a 'scooby' what went into it .. which is quite normal.

I too have not taken the time to look at the link in your opening post.

If you are not reliant on photography for a potential income, then why not just enjoy yourself?

Good luck

Mozzy
7 Nov 2013 9:07PM
I consider photography to be an art form. Therefore what pleases some may not please others. There are plenty of ways to experiment and rules to be broken. My advice, carry on clicking and if you are happy with what you produce then all well and good. Don't be put off by all the "experts" out there.
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2013 9:54PM
its a harsh world, you will be waiting forever if your are waiting on them to tell you anything, all likes do is tell you have some good friends or connections or best of all great exposure, some of the best photographers/artists out there are doing well not on artistic merit but selling them selves.
so the best advice has to be that above, do it because you enjoy it, if your lucky you may get that magical exposure that comes along , some have to work at it, others it happens.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.