Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What do you think about square thumbnails?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2011 - 2:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is a rather simple question, what would you think if we started using square cropped thumbnails on ePHOTOzine? Personally I see it like this:

Advantages:
- more image space
- cleaner presentation

Disadvantage:
- Crop may remove important aspects of the photo

My personal opinion, I like them Smile But what do you think? Here is an example:

Normal Thumbnails:

normal.jpg

Square Thumbnails:

square.jpg

Last Modified By davidburleson at 19 May 2011 - 2:39 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 May 2011 - 2:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:40 PM

I think it's worth a try

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:43 PM

This is the same as the option in Foliopic and I hated it there.

I absolutely hate it - what is the point of a thumbnail that dosn't look like the photo?

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 19 May 2011 - 2:44 PM
digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:46 PM

Maybe if the thumbnail doesn't look like the photo more people will stop trying to judge from the thumbnail whether it is worth looking at the photo Smile

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:46 PM

I think its fine personally, it encourages people look beyond the thumbnail

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:47 PM

Well why have thumbnails then? You might just have a load of pictures of doors and we can all play "whats behind the mystery door".

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:47 PM

As long as its all square and above board!!! WinkWinkWink

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 85793 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:49 PM

I'm sure you're familiar with Blipfoto who use square thumbnails which are fine - that said, members (maybe only paid, not sure) are able to choose the crop for themselves.

Metalhead
Metalhead  61862 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:50 PM

I do like the look of it, the neatness of it all, but ultimately I think it detracts from the actual photo a little too much. In your example above, the pano shot of the mountain just isn't the same, neither is the headless cyclist!

I think it will remove too much of the photo in many cases, and the aspect ratio is something that stands out on artistic merit i.e. some actual square images work (see Jouco's portfolio for instance) while panoramic scenes will get lost altogether in this square format.

I don't think you want to make the viewer have to guess too much at what they're looking at before they click into an image for the full view - that's the whole point of thumbnails, is it not?

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:55 PM

Cocks up composition!

Edit: Should there be any, by chance! Wink

Last Modified By Just Jas at 19 May 2011 - 2:56 PM
BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:59 PM

Completely stupid idea in my opinion!

Thumbnails are already small and quite often don't attract enough views of the actual image, especially subtle ones where the minute size precludes any real notion of what is contained in the image. Plus the fact that most people on here don't use square format cameras and compose to a different aspect ratio, so you would be arbitrarily cropping an image to suit your square grid layout.
For a photography base website which is, by definition, all about images I think this idea is unbelievable!
Imbecillic,in fact. Tongue Tongue Tongue

Unless, of course, you propose supplying everyone with square format cameras...an 80 mp Hasselblad,say??
Of course you could specify that everyone starts creating and uploading only sqaure images...wouldn't be a problem then...Wink

BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 2:59 PM

And that's not to mention panoramas.....

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2011 - 3:06 PM

Quote: Unless, of course, you propose supplying everyone with square format cameras...an 80 mp Hasselblad,say??

i'll see what i can do Wink

BillyGoatGruff
19 May 2011 - 3:11 PM

Can't wait!

Some good lenses would be nice, too.....Wink

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 3:36 PM

some standardisation of thumbnails might be advantageous...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.