Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What do you think about square thumbnails?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AlanPerkins
19 May 2011 - 3:38 PM

I think this is going to be a little like marmite - you love it or you hate it.

Me? I hate it. I find that it detracts from the original image, and makes it more difficult to judge whether the full-sized image might be worth viewing properly.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 May 2011 - 3:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314928 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 3:40 PM

I would see it as a good move, makes you want to open the thumbnails.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 3:56 PM

As somebody who doesn't look at the thumbnails, but goes into the image and then uses next, it won't concern me. However over the years there have been loads of threads about how to make your shot stand out in the thumbnail, so it gets a decent number of views. If the thumbnail is really only a teaser and says little or nothing about the shot people will not be able to cherry pick and therefore subtle images won't be overlooked.

That's the theory anyway. Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 4:08 PM

No Way! Why bother composing if half the image is going to be chopped off. I like to see the whole image when looking through the gallery. It certainly wouldn't make me open an image just in case I've missed something.
Sad

stevenb
stevenb e2 Member 11260 forum postsstevenb vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 4:15 PM

Not for me , The whole idea of shooting in landscape mode is for composition also the whole idea for shooting in portrait mode is to help composition . I don't want my pictures cropped to please somebody else. Are you thinking of cropping the Panoramics to a square format. Please leave alone if its not broke don't fix it

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2011 - 4:19 PM

Just testing the waters. We knew that it would be a bit of a 'marmite' situation, so we thought we would put it to you guys. Sometimes asking the community is the best approach in these cases rather than just making a decision off our own opinions. Smile

stevenb
stevenb e2 Member 11260 forum postsstevenb vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 4:27 PM

E2 members can already upload in a square format if they want 1000 x 1000 pixels providing they don't go over.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 4:36 PM

I think it's wrong, it distorts the image anyway, & any pic that is not conventional framing will be even more distorted. The headless cyclist & the expanded panorama are examples. Seeing those thumbs would not prompt me to open up the full images.

Simon_Palmer
19 May 2011 - 4:40 PM

As a thumbnail I don't have a problem with it. Anything to tidy the site up is fine by me, sorry but over the years alot has been added which I never use and in my personal opinion the site has become very disjointed and untidy because of it.

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8495 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2011 - 4:42 PM

No, I don't like the idea either, for the resaons already stated by others. However, what I think would improve the look of the gallery is to centre the thumbnails on the horizontal line rather than them floating up so the top edges are aligned.

Last Modified By Martin54 at 19 May 2011 - 4:43 PM
olympushunter
19 May 2011 - 4:54 PM

im no web design expert by any means, but would it not be neater to centralize the images... E.G portrait photos central vertically and landscape central horizontally... that way the thumbnails can keep their original aspect ratios but still be neater than all of the images lined up at the top edge. hope i made sense :/ not great at this forum lark yet Grin

olympushunter
19 May 2011 - 4:55 PM

damn martin typed quicker Tongue

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54226 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 5:15 PM

What I thought might be a good idea is if the thumbnails could temporarily enlarge when the cursor is run over the pics.

That way we could look at all the images up large but wouldn't have to open them all. It'd certainly quicken things up and maybe we'd spot some images we like rather than overlooking them when browsing through the pages.

Jestertheclown
19 May 2011 - 5:21 PM

Quote: I would see it as a good move, makes you want to open the thumbnails.

Not to me, it wouldn't.

I want to be able to see larger thumbnails, not artificially, deliberately emasculated ones.
Although I agree with Ian when he suggests browsing the gallery by opening an image and using the "next" arrows. It might take longer, quite a bit longer in fact but you do get to find some gems (and quite a few nightmares!) that might otherwise be overlooked.
The only real downside with that method is that the Critique gallery has a tendency to keep freezing.
And yes, I have reported it, many times.

Jester.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84254 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 5:26 PM

I'm afraid I don't like it either! For instance in your example you've chopped off a ladies head! I like to see the whole image and if I'm impressed/intrigued I will go in and see the larger image.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.