Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What do you think about square thumbnails?

19 May 2011 3:38PM
I think this is going to be a little like marmite - you love it or you hate it.

Me? I hate it. I find that it detracts from the original image, and makes it more difficult to judge whether the full-sized image might be worth viewing properly.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
19 May 2011 3:40PM
I would see it as a good move, makes you want to open the thumbnails.
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 May 2011 3:56PM
As somebody who doesn't look at the thumbnails, but goes into the image and then uses next, it won't concern me. However over the years there have been loads of threads about how to make your shot stand out in the thumbnail, so it gets a decent number of views. If the thumbnail is really only a teaser and says little or nothing about the shot people will not be able to cherry pick and therefore subtle images won't be overlooked.

That's the theory anyway. Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
19 May 2011 4:08PM
No Way! Why bother composing if half the image is going to be chopped off. I like to see the whole image when looking through the gallery. It certainly wouldn't make me open an image just in case I've missed something.
Sad
stevenb e2
11 260 6 England
19 May 2011 4:15PM
Not for me , The whole idea of shooting in landscape mode is for composition also the whole idea for shooting in portrait mode is to help composition . I don't want my pictures cropped to please somebody else. Are you thinking of cropping the Panoramics to a square format. Please leave alone if its not broke don't fix it
19 May 2011 4:19PM
Just testing the waters. We knew that it would be a bit of a 'marmite' situation, so we thought we would put it to you guys. Sometimes asking the community is the best approach in these cases rather than just making a decision off our own opinions. Smile
stevenb e2
11 260 6 England
19 May 2011 4:27PM
E2 members can already upload in a square format if they want 1000 x 1000 pixels providing they don't go over.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
19 May 2011 4:36PM
I think it's wrong, it distorts the image anyway, & any pic that is not conventional framing will be even more distorted. The headless cyclist & the expanded panorama are examples. Seeing those thumbs would not prompt me to open up the full images.
Simon_Palmer e2
8 759 11 United Kingdom
19 May 2011 4:40PM
As a thumbnail I don't have a problem with it. Anything to tidy the site up is fine by me, sorry but over the years alot has been added which I never use and in my personal opinion the site has become very disjointed and untidy because of it.
Martin54 e2
8 510 United Kingdom
19 May 2011 4:42PM
No, I don't like the idea either, for the resaons already stated by others. However, what I think would improve the look of the gallery is to centre the thumbnails on the horizontal line rather than them floating up so the top edges are aligned.
19 May 2011 4:54PM
im no web design expert by any means, but would it not be neater to centralize the images... E.G portrait photos central vertically and landscape central horizontally... that way the thumbnails can keep their original aspect ratios but still be neater than all of the images lined up at the top edge. hope i made sense :/ not great at this forum lark yet Grin
19 May 2011 4:55PM
damn martin typed quicker Tongue
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
19 May 2011 5:15PM
What I thought might be a good idea is if the thumbnails could temporarily enlarge when the cursor is run over the pics.

That way we could look at all the images up large but wouldn't have to open them all. It'd certainly quicken things up and maybe we'd spot some images we like rather than overlooking them when browsing through the pages.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
19 May 2011 5:21PM

Quote:I would see it as a good move, makes you want to open the thumbnails.

Not to me, it wouldn't.

I want to be able to see larger thumbnails, not artificially, deliberately emasculated ones.
Although I agree with Ian when he suggests browsing the gallery by opening an image and using the "next" arrows. It might take longer, quite a bit longer in fact but you do get to find some gems (and quite a few nightmares!) that might otherwise be overlooked.
The only real downside with that method is that the Critique gallery has a tendency to keep freezing.
And yes, I have reported it, many times.

Jester.
KarenFB e2
8 4.4k 163 England
19 May 2011 5:26PM
I'm afraid I don't like it either! For instance in your example you've chopped off a ladies head! I like to see the whole image and if I'm impressed/intrigued I will go in and see the larger image.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.