Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What do you think about square thumbnails?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

indemnity
indemnity  5328 forum posts
19 May 2011 - 5:29 PM

Square image, square thumbnail. Rectangular image, rectangular thumbnail. Simples.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 May 2011 - 5:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 5:54 PM

How about just trying it out for a week.

Is there anyway of monitoring the numbers of thumbnails that get opened, my guess is, it would go up.

Jestertheclown
19 May 2011 - 6:10 PM

Quote: Is there anyway of monitoring the numbers of thumbnails that get opened, my guess is, it would go up.

Maybe Paul, but only until the novelty wears off and people get fed up looking at images with bits missing and simply move on to the next (more) complete one.
If we must have thumbnails in some kind of square or uniform format, why not put them all in boxes, the way they are in our showcases.
Personally, I'd rather see the thumbnails made bigger, left in their current configuration and ranged along their bottom edge rather than being aligned by their tops as they are now.

Jester.

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8495 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
19 May 2011 - 6:31 PM

Quote: Personally, I'd rather see the thumbnails made bigger, left in their current configuration and ranged along their bottom edge rather than being aligned by their tops as they are now

That would be a start, then at least they would be closer to their own title, rather than the title above as happens now with most images

RichardN00
19 May 2011 - 6:32 PM

Give people the choice with another tick box

Group all the settings in a section marked "Personalize your Viewing Experience"

And then have at the bottom a big button marked

"Now, just Bl**dy Shut UP!" Grin

User_Removed
19 May 2011 - 6:45 PM

Wrong move David.

I haven't read all the contributions as yet as I've just got in but, taking the question at face value, why does the site want to screw with a contributors image where the composition has been set at the point of taking the image or adjusted in post production?

Ludicrous idea.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 19 May 2011 - 6:46 PM
Dave_Collier
19 May 2011 - 6:49 PM

Not a great fan of this idea, the random cropping of images would annoy me.

Strobe
Strobe  61254 forum posts United States
19 May 2011 - 7:58 PM

Seen this on another site, I thought that a square image would create a bit more intrigue enticing you to hover the mouse over the image to see the full composition. It worked for a very short time then became more of a pain.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85874 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 7:58 PM

I can't see how square cropping would work, when a lot of folks including me, now try to submit at 1000px x 700px

My PF, apart from the occasional instance is pretty much standardised at that format

How would you square crop an image that is in portrait mode at the same settings. A woodpecker with only the body showing & no headGrin

Adrian

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 8:51 PM

Please NO!

They rarely look right, and when they look wrong they really don't sell the image. Many sites that use them well for sure don't let software decide where the crop should be!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014071 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

Oh I don't know Cheryl, it's a great way to showcase your images to people. If someone is looking for one of your shots, all you have to do is tell them to go to your portfolio then click on the little picture that looks least like your image and they are bound to find it.

What could be simpler ?

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

I sure hope this wasn't prompted by my suggestion to double the size of pano thumbnails. If so, something's really been lost in translation...

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

Quote: I sure hope this wasn't prompted by my suggestion to double the size of pano thumbnails.

No we've been looking at the best designs for portfolios and they seem to be square thumbs. I don't like the cut off but i love the neatness and alignment of the grid. No matter what you do with full frame thumbs they look bad - centring them just makes it all up and down, aligning to top leaves it up and down on the bottom and aligning bottom makes the top look uneven. We used to enclose each one in a "frame" but took that away to try to clean up the page.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
19 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

Oh good Smile I know the dilemma well, my foliopic layout took me ages to finalise. I think I also went with frames in the end.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 1:06 AM

No offence to anyone in the Towers, but this is really the most ludicrous suggestion I've heard on the site. At least half of photography is about composition...so why have that taken away...have you considered doing black and white thumbnails?? you could open up the more interesting ones to see what they look like in colour Smile - equally ludicrous IMO.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.