Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What do you think about the Canon EOS Rebel XSi Black 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dawnmichelle
dawnmichelle e2 Member 7dawnmichelle vcard United States
7 Jun 2008 - 9:51 PM

Can anyone share with me what they think of the Canon XSI..is it a great investment. I was thinking of purchasing it and the one con I have learned is the live view .. is that the only major con. I can live without the live view as long as the camera is worth the investment.
Thanks
Dawn Michlle

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jun 2008 - 9:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_P
Simon_P  8487 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2008 - 10:25 PM

I canít think why the live view would be a con, it is very good on the 40D so wouldnít think it is vastly different.

EOS 450D/Rebel SXi review on EPZ

Is it a good investment, depends on what you are already using, from your Kodack easyshare I would think it is a very worthy upgrade.

Last Modified By Simon_P at 7 Jun 2008 - 10:30 PM
boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2008 - 10:51 PM

i think the live view doesnt have autofocus if you mean thats a con? not seen one myself but ive a 400d and a 350d which are good little cameras and next to no money for what you get.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
7 Jun 2008 - 11:33 PM

Quote: I canít think why the live view would be a con

I assume as in pros & cons, rather than a rip off type con.

boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2008 - 11:37 PM

thats what i though too , but cant really see why the addition of live view would ever be considered a negative unless its a battery life thing

Simon_P
8 Jun 2008 - 12:34 AM

Quote: Quote:I canít think why the live view would be a conI assume as in pros & cons, rather than a rip off type con.

Thatís how I understood it too, but still donít see it as a negative either, its there if you want to use it, and if you donít want to use it you donít have to.
Sure it has limited uses.

dawnmichelle
8 Jun 2008 - 12:57 AM

Thank you all for your advice.. I went and looked at the camera and over all it seems to be worth the investment.. the live view isn't that big a deal. It is just a add bonus that is nice to have if you need it..
I didn't purchase it yet.. since I wrote to get your comments I wanted to see what you have to say and trust in your all's advice.
So this maybe what I upgrade to..

dawnmichelle
8 Jun 2008 - 1:08 AM

Simon thank you so much for the site..It was very helpful..
That camera has a lot going for it as well... there are so many out there to pick from.

Simon_P
8 Jun 2008 - 2:01 AM

Quote: Simon thank you so much for the site..It was very helpful..
That camera has a lot going for it as well... there are so many out there to pick from.

Its the same camera, Rebel SXi USA/450D UK, donít you just love the way the Atlantic gap (AKA the Pond) makes things so simple Grin

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2008 - 10:20 AM

You can autofucus when using live view, you just won't be able to see anything on the LCD screen as the mirror will lock up to enable autofocus.
So, what you need is select your focus point first, then activate liveview, then autofocus, then take the shot. Of course it is only possible for still life or landscape as they aren't moving.
Live view is superb, especially with landscape, and use it with the live histogram.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 8 Jun 2008 - 10:21 AM
ckristoff
ckristoff  10940 forum posts Wales
8 Jun 2008 - 12:54 PM

Dawn,

I've just looked at your portfolio, brilliant!! You have a great photographic eye.

I believe the Rebel XSi would be a good buy for you.

I've recently bought the 450D version and although I haven't used it too much, due to work, I'm very pleased with it.

Frank.

ckristoff
8 Jun 2008 - 12:58 PM

Cole,

just read your post.

Er, idiot's question. I haven't used live view yet, so don't know how it works, how do I get the live histogram? I'm assuming you can use the histogram information by using exposure compensation?

Excuse me for being dim, 2 months ago I was still a slide film user!

Frank.

dawnmichelle
8 Jun 2008 - 3:54 PM

Thanks Simon and Frank... and Simon lol on the same camera me and my husband was thinking how they had same features loll duhhh on my part loll... after looking at so many and many with a lot of the same things I was getting lost... that's why I came to those like yourself that can tell me what I am doing loll Smile

Frank thank you for the lovely comment on my PF.. and for your advice on the camera it is looking more like the one I will get.. Smile

Cole thank you the wonderful info.. that was something I didn't know at all.. and was a great help ! Smile

Last Modified By dawnmichelle at 8 Jun 2008 - 3:55 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2008 - 4:41 PM

Frank, I think while on live view, you press display to display the histogram.
If you go into custom function, you can set up a few options for the live view For example on the 40D, I can go to:

C.Fn IV -7 Live View exposure simulation
0: Disable (LCD auto adjust)
1: Enable (simulates exposure)
During Live View shooting, the real-time image shows the brightness
corresponding to the exposure setting. This enables you to check the imageís exposure right before you take the picture.

ckristoff
9 Jun 2008 - 9:17 AM

Cole,

thank you for that.

Believe me, I have read the manual. I must have missed it. Smile

Frank.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.