Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What do you think of this?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
chrisheathcote
chrisheathcote e2 Member 7237 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
3 Oct 2006 - 10:16 AM

I am making the plunge into the realms of D-SLR, just wanted your opinions as to the following set-up, I will try and give my reasons. The photography in main will be lanscapes but also I will be using my new toy for family holidays.

Camera: Canon EOS 350d
Plan to buy body only as I have heard that the kit lens isn't all that sharp. I know the 400d is out but for the difference in price could buy another/better lens.

Lens: Canon 50mm F1.8 - sounds like a cracking little lens for the price, thought good for evening portraits etc. (see profile)

Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6DC - use for landscapes and also as a GP lens when walking round on hols

Also thought about Canon ef 90-300mm F4.5-5.6 usm - not sure why what uses would this lens have just fancied the extra focal length.

Sorry I know I've gone on abit. All views gratefully appreciated.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Oct 2006 - 10:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnHawthorne
3 Oct 2006 - 10:32 AM

I much prefer posts like this that go on a bit instead of the usual one line post "What camera should I buy?", so thanks for that.

The Canon 350D is a good camera (I have one) and planning to buy the body only is a very good idea.

The Sigma lens is ok, but I think Tamron also make a good (maybe better?) lens in this range, so they're worth looking at too.

I would say don't get any longer focal length lenses until you know you will really use it. Maybe a better idea would be to get the Tamron 18-200 instead of the Sigma and forget about the Canon 90-300 altogether.

The Canon 50mm lens is simply superb in it's image quality. No doubts about that one at all.

Don't forget about other costs involved, especially a tripod for landscapes if you haven't already got one. Other things you will need - software, although you already own a digital so you should have editing software. Memory cards (cheap now though). Flashgun - SO much better than the built in flash thingy.

Hope that helps,
John.

chrisheathcote
3 Oct 2006 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for that John, I currently have a tripod and use CS2 for editing so got those boxed off, thanks for the advice on the lenses and flashgun will give the Tamron one a look.

Chris

chrisheathcote
3 Oct 2006 - 2:34 PM

Any further comments fondly received. I've been mulling it over for a while now.

Bluebottle11117

Quote: Any further comments fondly received. I've been mulling it over for a while now.

Hi Chris I recently got an Olympus E-500 got with 2 lens a 40-150mm f-1:3,5-4,5 Zuiko and a 14-45mm f=1:3,5-5,6 Zuiko and I am enjoying tottally the only little snag I have got with it, is because I do a lot of action shots is I am finding the shutter speed a bit slow, so if your using it for landscapes and still life it make for a great piece of equipment hope this helps in some way.
Debbie.

Bmarie
Bmarie  877 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Oct 2006 - 11:34 AM

Hi maddyakker

I think you have a good plan the 350D is a great camera and if you only can get one lens the Tamron 18-200 lens will be a great all rounder. I have the 350D and a couple of lenses but I am considering that lens also as it would be really useful to keep on the camera for most shots and help prevent dust as the lens would not need to be change so much.

regards
Bmarie

hotchef23
hotchef23  7134 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Oct 2006 - 9:37 PM

justbought the 50 mm 1.8 superb for low light portrait using on 30 d. excellent lens well recommended

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2006 - 8:22 AM

I started with the 350D, with the 50mm only. I thin got a wide angle, and then a zoom. I have no regrets about the way I did it - the 50 mm is still my favorite lens and lives most on the camera - and by only having that for a couple of months, I was able to concentrate on learning about the camera and settings, without the additional complication of having a zoom lens. I know there are those that will disagree with me on that last point, but you cannot go wrong with this lens, and although the range of the sigma lens sounds like it would do for 90% of your zoom needs, I don't know that particular one. Wait a bit before worrying about the 90-300 - unless you have something particular in mind you need that telephoto range for, not half as useful as the other 2.

Sus
29 Oct 2006 - 8:23 AM

I would just add - of the 350D pictures in my pf - I think only the dog action shots I use the 70-200 mm - and quite often even for those I find myself using my 100 mm macro quite sufficient!

Sus
29 Oct 2006 - 8:26 AM

Oh and I would also add - as I see this is your umpteenth thread posted about exactly the same subject, could you just get on and buy the bl***y camera and stop agonising about it!

ERPhotography
29 Oct 2006 - 10:46 AM

I bought the 350D body only and also the sigma 18-200 lens which has been quite versatile. On a recent holiday to Australia I found it a good combination and fairly lightweight. I have had some pleasing results considering the price of the lens. In the future I will be looking at getting additional lenses (eg- canon 70-200L F4) and hopefully soon the canon 50 1.8 too. I have been very happy with the 350D and the smaller body was great on my travels which is why I did not go for a 20D at the time (plus the price difference). The thing I like about the 400D is the bigger screen (2.5") but overall the 350D is a pleasing camera to use and would be good to take on your family holidays.

jimnr
jimnr  7
29 Oct 2006 - 10:55 AM

Aha! Yesterday, after recieving some advice from this forum a few weeks ago, I bought the 400D and Sigma 18-200. I had been looking at the 350 but with the arrival of the 400 with its extras including the self cleaning I plumped for that. I didnt want to buy a camera with a kit so after looking around I came to the conclusion that for a good starter wide zoom lens to go with a body the Sigma, on my budget, would do me well for a fair time, which will allow me to save up for other len`s I`m already looking at. Why didnt I stick to my P&S, this photography malarkey is going to financially ruin me!!

Craftysnapper
30 Oct 2006 - 8:33 AM

Quote: Hi Chris I recently got an Olympus E-500 got with 2 lens a 40-150mm f-1:3,5-4,5 Zuiko and a 14-45mm f=1:3,5-5,6 Zuiko and I am enjoying tottally the only little snag I have got with it, is because I do a lot of action shots is I am finding the shutter speed a bit slow, so if your using it for landscapes and still life it make for a great piece of equipment hope this helps in some way.
Debbie.

Huh!..top shutter speed of the E-500 is 1/4000sec same as the Canon 350D...did you mean auto focus? Smile

chrisheathcote
30 Oct 2006 - 8:30 PM

Quote: could you just get on and buy the bl***y camera and stop agonising about it!

You'll be pleased to know that I've done exactly that. However due to cash flow, plan changed slightly. Have bought the 350d and 18-55 USM lens which I've got for £20 more than body only and am now loving playing with my new toy. Thanks for all your tips. As money allows I will be adding the planned lenses to my collection.

Chris

Sus
4 Nov 2006 - 7:28 PM

Wayhey! I hope you will love your 350D as much as I love mine. Still thrilled with it after a year and a half and wouldn't swap it for any of the newer models on the market. Sounded like a good deal with the lens too.

well done!

Sus

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.