Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What does "spent" mean ?

MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
24 Nov 2013 7:37PM
Hi....50 years ago, to my shame, I was convicted of buying a TV set which had been stolen,
Prior to my conviction I was locked in a cell for 2 days and subsequently placed on probation for 12 months.

Recently, when I applied for an insurance quote I was asked about any criminal convictions.
I must have answered that question honestly, dozens of times over the last 50 years,
It cannot have been too important because I was never refused insurance.

This time I was asked if the conviction was "spent" ....what does "spent" mean please.

Thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2013 7:41PM
24 Nov 2013 7:43PM
According to https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q89.htm

Quote:A spent conviction is a conviction which, under the terms of Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, can be effectively ignored after a specified amount of time

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/privacy/spent-convictions-and-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders/how-a-conviction-becomes-spent.html would indicate that it was spent either 2 years or 5 years after the conviction.

On that basis I think you can safely say that it's well and truly spent.

and I must learn to type faster Wink
24 Nov 2013 7:55PM
Over With, Done With, You Are A Free Man.
justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
24 Nov 2013 8:49PM

Quote:This time I was asked if the conviction was "spent" ....what does "spent" mean please.

It means that a pre-determined period of time has elapsed since your conviction. Hence, you're hopefully no longer leading your dishonest and lucrative life of crime that you once indulged in. Who knows where it may end!!!!!
A dodgy tv one minute, bank jobs, bullion robberies and drug smuggling the next TongueWink
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
24 Nov 2013 8:56PM
Cheers guys....totally rehabilitated...no longer a danger to society Smile

...actually, I was hoping someone might say....I no longer need to disclose it.

....thanks....Mike
oldblokeh e2
3 925 United Kingdom
24 Nov 2013 9:08PM
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
24 Nov 2013 9:14PM

Quote:...actually, I was hoping someone might say....I no longer need to disclose it.

That depends upon who it is that you're not disclosing it to.

You'll be obliged to mention it if you ever need a CRB check, (I think they're called something else nowadays), regardless of when the conviction expired.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
24 Nov 2013 9:14PM

Quote:No, you don't need to, according to this:

.....cheers for that....Mike
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
25 Nov 2013 11:37AM
When you apply for a US visa, no conviction is ever spent.

On a more practical level, the CRB system, like all government databases, seems to be such a shambles that you might get away with "forgetting" anything that's old or minor.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
25 Nov 2013 1:55PM
50 years..? Dont ever mention it again. It is spent; gone, forgotten.
Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
30 Nov 2013 11:01PM
50 years ago! Was it one of those tellys that lived in a wooden cabinet with sliding doors?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Dec 2013 1:39AM
Maybe he thought he had bought a drinks cabinet Smile
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
1 Dec 2013 11:21AM
When I was a kid, a TV with doors on the front of the cabinet counted as furniture and would be funded by DHSS.

I overheard a conversation to this effect when I was in a furniture shop. In the 1960s, a colour television cost as much as a small car. Working people usually rented but savvy Social Security claimants could get theirs for free!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.