Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What does and doesn't get liked *NO ARGUEMENTS PLEASE**

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Consulo
Consulo  9762 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2005 - 1:19 PM

Just an observation more than anything...

Does anyone ever get struck by just how subjective the nature of the site is?

I ask because sometimes it perplexes me as to what work of mine gets little/lots of attention. It's often the work that I can be really proud of that gets little attention, and the stuff that I wasn't too sure about that can get the most comments etc.

Hmmmm.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jul 2005 - 1:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MDR_Photo
MDR_Photo  9872 forum posts England
30 Jul 2005 - 1:24 PM

The thing is there are categories that get lots of attention and categories that don't. The one I notice the most is sports which in my opinion gets a lot less views than other stuff. I've probably noticed this because this is what I take the most of and look at a lot.

Your also correct in your observation that people often pay more attention to photos which the photographer doesn't like so much.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2005 - 1:30 PM

You can lead a horse to water...just have to live with what ever is popular..doesn't always make it better...just more popular.

MDR_Photo
MDR_Photo  9872 forum posts England
30 Jul 2005 - 1:34 PM

Thats true keith, to make a living you've got to do whatever you have to, to make money (i.e. what people want). The great thing about this site is you can put up whatever you want and on the whole you'll get honest comments as to whether people like it or not.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109965 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2005 - 1:58 PM

Isn't the appreciation of photographic images subjective by its very nature? Ten people looking at the same thing will come up with at least 15 opinions, whatever the "thing" is.

That's what makes the subject so frustratingly enjoyable (Oh no its not, it is, not - oh shut up etc Smile

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
30 Jul 2005 - 2:03 PM

"I ask because sometimes it perplexes me as to what work of mine gets little/lots of attention. It's often the work that I can be really proud of that gets little attention, and the stuff that I wasn't too sure about that can get the most comments etc."

It happens, what is your taste often turns out not to be someone's elses, and vice versa. I put some photos up in an exhibition starting yesterday, and the last two choices I put in, more or less to make up the numbers (ie, not my first choices)have sold, whilst my favourites haven't! I'm just glad peoples choices don't always agree with mine! Wink

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109965 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2005 - 3:19 PM

Well done Frank - good to hear you got some sales already Smile

Brian

Cristian
Cristian  9950 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jul 2005 - 3:33 PM

"....Does anyone ever get struck by just how subjective the nature of the site is?"

This used to baffle me, but I just now accept it.

Yes sports & motor shots do seem to get ignored, which is a shame as their are some very good "panned" shots on here.

For me, any reader comments outweight the lack of "clicks. (although a few RC's wouldn't go amiss!). I use this site for inspiration and feedback. I accept that my portfolio isn't fantastic, but it's (hopefully - lol) a record of my learning curve.

Cristian

User_Removed
30 Jul 2005 - 4:32 PM

A good photo, doesn't always hit you straight away. Something in it will make you view it again, because although you don't realiise. It's left an impression on your memory. A least that's the way it works, some of the time with me.
Col

sugarbird
sugarbird  10223 forum posts South Africa
30 Jul 2005 - 8:30 PM

Just take a picture of a Puffin, or a Gebera, a big busted blonde with a pout or, of course, a Landscape, make sure you comment on every single members photos every day and your pics will get loads of attention!!! Seriously, though, Keith is right, it is whatever is popular at the moment, next month year, it will change again, I predict that Kingfishers will be the next big thing!!!

ChristineL
30 Jul 2005 - 10:06 PM

If you look through the Reader's Choice gallery, there's a good variety of shots ( though little sport), they're all just striking, well presented images.

spaceman
spaceman  105159 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2005 - 3:36 AM

I like things which are off the wall, that show some imagination. The subject itself isn't that important, it's how it's photographed.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jul 2005 - 3:55 AM

Quote: Does anyone ever get struck by just how subjective the nature of the site is?

Mike, I would argue that it's maybe the opposite. I've had plenty of examples of what i thought was a sure winner drowning in a sea of apathy on the site, and a few of the reverse. The thing about any photograph is that you have made a personal connection with it and you have some level of emotional attachment to it. That being said , you then put it up to be viewed by people without that emotional attachment, and so they can view it with a more objective eye. This is why it's especially the case if someone's posting pics of say their kids or their girlfriend or their holiday snaps and wondering why everyone else doesn't appreciate them as much..but I think it happens with all other kinds of shot as well.

So I think it's useful for getting an objective opinion, as long as you don't get hung up on it and try and alter your style to be populist when you don't want to. At the end of the day you need to be taking pics you're personally happy with, and using the site as a tool to help you rather than a map to guide you.

Sorry it's a bit of a ramble but I hope some of it makes sense

Stephen

rogerbryan
rogerbryan e2 Member 9397 forum postsrogerbryan vcard United Kingdom
31 Jul 2005 - 4:01 AM

It does not pay to get too hung up on what members of this site like or dislike. Just take or create the images you are happy with and accept that they are not always going to be to be to everyone's liking. Take the photos you enjoy first and if someone else likes them its a bonus.

Roger

elowes
elowes  92830 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2005 - 4:25 AM

Appreciation of art is very subjective. You can use objectivity to judge what is good technique but it is not always good technique that produces good art.

People will vote for what appeals to them, this is only natural, but will sometimes do so without giving consideration of the faults with the image.

Editor,s choice features a lot of natural history shots (well over a third) but at least I can appreciate the technical merits of those choices.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.