Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What does and doesn't get liked *NO ARGUEMENTS PLEASE**

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
chriswebb
chriswebb  10893 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2005 - 4:45 AM

Quote: It's often the work that I can be really proud of that gets little attention, and the stuff that I wasn't too sure about that can get the most comments etc.

A photographer is most likely to be most proud of photographs which are the most thought-provoking or meaningful, but which because of that require a bit of time and effort on the part of others to fully appreciate.

The ones that get the most attention are those that instantly grab the viewer, while original or thought-provoking photos are largely ignored because most people can't be bothered to spend more than a few seconds on them.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jul 2005 - 4:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
31 Jul 2005 - 6:09 AM

"Well done Frank - good to hear you got some sales already Smile"

Thanks Brian! There really isn't anyone visiting it, it's literally at the end of the line, so expected absolutely zilch, but I'm up to four so far, with someone wanting at least a 30" x 20" version. We're currently in negotiation on that one! Wink I'll probably frighten her off when I give her the price!
Frank

u08mcb
u08mcb  105817 forum posts
31 Jul 2005 - 9:31 AM

Does it surprise me that an innately subjective medium is viewed subjectively?

Um..

mwatkins9801
31 Jul 2005 - 10:45 AM

that's always been interesting for me too- there are lots of dynamics at play here and it has all been discussed before. i think once one comes to terms with their own work, and the reason for doing it, clicks and awards suddenly have little meaning. that revelation was just as important, if not more, than any technique or lesson i have learned and photography is so much more rewarding to me now.

heatherb
heatherb  10 United Kingdom
31 Jul 2005 - 11:49 AM

it's funny that none of my favourite shots get much attention, sometimes i think that the best shots don't always stand out in the thumbnails the details are lost.
I have tried two shots just to get attention judging by what readers like and it worked they have been the most successful but they are still my least favourite. Now I look at the portfolios of the few that like my least clicked pics and find the most interesting and varied portfolios there, now that's much more fun

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2005 - 1:05 PM

Some images get glowing comments when there are clear faults.

I feel it is good to encourage but it is short sighted when doing so not to comment on faults or poor presentation. Horizons out of level is one, often very obvious, sin which should raely if ever be committed.

IanBW
IanBW  965 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Aug 2005 - 4:46 AM

Oh My God!. I feel like I'm going to get slaughtered for this but

Quote: Some images get glowing comments when there are clear faults

and

Quote: Horizons out of level is one, often very obvious, sin which should raely if ever be committed

Surely it's down to the photographer, the image, the intent whether a horizon is out of level ??. If we all shoot so our verticals and horizontals are parallel to the edges of the frame, our images composed to the rule of thirds, and our exposures spot on according to the image histogram, where lies the scope for creativity ?

Photography is meant to be a creative medium, when it becomes rule or convention bound, that creativity dies.

Ian

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2005 - 5:14 AM

Well Ian you asked for it, but to be fair you have a point, in bits.

I think you need to distinguish between the "I set this off to an angle for artistic reasons" from the camera was squint.

Then to the rest of the conversation, is it healthy to adjust your photos to what is popular?

User_Removed
1 Aug 2005 - 5:33 AM

Hey IanBW, a fellow newbie! Well, don't worry about getting slaughtered. I've still got plasters from previous posts!

The issue about the horizons is a good one though. There was a double-page fashion shoot recently (I think it was Marie Claire) taken on a beach during an obviously washed out day (sky was burned out, etc). All the shots were taken using innovative angles. Not one sea-horizon straight! It was amazing!

So, what gets liked? In my short time here it's pretty obvious. Puffins or Tits, but the latter doesn't always get posted in the wildlife section. And I agree with Sugarbird. I'm off to the bookies to place a big wad of cash on Kingfishers.

IanBW
IanBW  965 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Aug 2005 - 8:05 AM

Strawman, I haven't a problem in adjusting photos, but only so long as it's a case of adjusting to get something you think is right for your image rather than what other people might like. That's what all the tools we have at our disposal are there for.

Simon. Not really a newbie. I first joined EPZ in about 2003 but then went away for various reasons (mainly just not enough spare time to spend on the site, but also some reservations about whether I was getting worthwhile critique here to be of value).

Now I'm back and I think I've changed in terms of how I see photography, so (when I get around to posting some pictures - that time thing again !) I'll be posting things I like and I've enjoyed playing around with rather than pretty landscapes, colourful sunsets and cutesy wildlife.

Populism and good technique be damned !, lets see some originality !.

Ian

elowes
1 Aug 2005 - 8:52 AM

Ian

There is a considerable difference between an uncorrected horizon and one deliberatly squiffed for effect. There is a difference between the obvious manipulation of images for effect and images poorly manipulated with obvious signs left. There is no need to leave these faults. If you look through the landscapes you will see numerous examples of what I mean.

To praise images like that without comment on the faults is either lazy or worse and of no benifit to the photographer.

Landscapes with squiffed horizons need something special to work and I can't recall seeing one recently on this site.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Aug 2005 - 10:34 AM

If you are looking for attention/clicks/comments you need to upload pics of semi-naked/naked women, they along with pics of kids.....YUCK!!! seem to get a lot of attention.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2005 - 10:57 AM

Quote: If you are looking for attention/clicks/comments you need to upload pics of semi-naked/naked women, they along with pics of kids.....YUCK!!! seem to get a lot of attention.

Is this based on research? This is not the case according to our figures... you can view the most viewed pics in the gallery, and it's a very interesting mix.

u08mcb
u08mcb  105817 forum posts
1 Aug 2005 - 11:01 AM

Quote: Is this based on research?

grrrmmppphhh Wink

elowes
1 Aug 2005 - 11:18 AM

Glad to see at least one female nude in there.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.