Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What does one do with PSD files?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8329 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 9:56 AM

When, after some tinkering in PSE 10, I end up with what I think is the perfect image (for me, at any rate) I save the Raw file with all changes as a .psd file. These, however, as we all know, take up an inordinate amount of room, both on hard disk and on my back-up DVDs. I know one can never say 'never', but if I'm certain that I won't make any further changes to a file would I be better off just saving it as a JPEG? God knows you can't print from a .psd file - well, I can't, at any rate, because the file size is too large - and so I have to convert to JPEG anyway.

I suppose it's just the nagging doubt that if I do dump the .psd I'll have lost the ability to make 'lossless' changes, and any changes I make subsequently to the JPEG will be 'lossy'.

The easy answer, of course, is to save the .psd files to DVD and only keep the JPEG versions on my hard drive, but I'm just wondering what others do?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2012 - 9:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72274 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 10:15 AM

I always convert to tiff from raw files, do all photoshop work as tiff or psd, then flatten and save/archive as tiff.
I only convert to jpg for print and/or web.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 10:20 AM

Yes, tiff is the way to go.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73879 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 10:24 AM

Quote: Yes, tiff is the way to go.

Not always it isn't, PSDs are more stable with very large files, with multi layers (over 2 gb).

User_Removed
6 Oct 2012 - 10:30 AM

If it's a photograph and I've finished any cloning and touching up I'll save it as a full quality jpeg but I'll also always retain the original cr2 raw file.

If it's a complex Photoshop document that I think I might make changes to later then I'll save it as a .psd file.

If I process raw files in DPP, cropping, lens correction, cloning, saturation, levels etc etc all I save is the raw file. DPP stores my changes as metadata in that file and it's all non-destructive.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3296 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 10:35 AM

As above, I too convert from RAW then save as TIFFS.

User_Removed
6 Oct 2012 - 10:38 AM

Quote: any changes I make subsequently to the JPEG will be 'lossy'.

In theory yes. In reality if you were to open a high quality JPEG, do a spot of cloning etc then resave (at high quality) you'd have trouble seeing any difference (apart from your deliberate changes). There's thousands of journalists shooting jpeg and their editors back at base do this all the time.

If you did this dozens of times each lossy re-compression would lose more original data and you'd start to see jpeg artefacts. If you only did it a couple of times it's not generally a problem.

Source material has a large bearing on this. Large areas of single colour - and the borders of such areas, (eg sky), can show up compression artefacts sooner than complex areas (eg foliage).

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7562 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 - 10:47 AM

If I had worked on the shot in PS and added layers etc then I would make a JPEG for printing and keep the PSD as a master file and archive to DVD. I often have second thoughts about a picture and go back and look at it again, the PSD allows you to do that.

If I have only processed in Lightroom I archive the RAW files only, because LR is non-destuctive.

In short I agree with ChrisL (now there's a first!!)

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 10:55 AM

I always back up my 'original files' to external hard disk drives so I can always start again if I want to change my mind at a later date. My completed files are left in .jpeg and are also backed up, again to external hard disk drives.

That way you don't need to worry about file protocols or even discuss which is best .Tiff, .Jpeg ot .Psd.

lemmy
lemmy  71874 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Oct 2012 - 11:07 AM

Quote: but I'm just wondering what others do?

Keep the RAW and psd files. A 2tb usb3 disk costs 82.

Or use Lightroom so that the RAW files are never touched and you can export and manipulate from the one file.

Jestertheclown
6 Oct 2012 - 11:12 AM

I save everything as high quality Jpegs. on here and a copy as Tiffs. on my external drives, although these get replaced with the Jpegs. once I'm happy that I'm finished with them.
I don't keep any RAW or Psd. files as I don't really have a use for them. Likewise Lightroom catalogues.
As Chris says, moderate editing of the Jpegs. doesn't do any harm that I can see and they take up so much less room.

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 11:26 AM

I save my files in RAW and PSD on and external hard drive. For what hard drives cost, its worth it.

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8329 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 2:55 PM

That's all been most helpful. Many thanks to everyone who contributed.

swanseajack41
11 Oct 2012 - 4:19 PM

so, if you save a file as a TIFF, does that mean you can re - open it up in ACR ?

paul

User_Removed
11 Oct 2012 - 8:09 PM

Tiffs will preserve layers and offer lossless compression. They don't retain the same information that's present in an original raw file though. Some keep raws and tiffs. Raws are original from camera, tiffs have edits applied. They then generate a jpeg when needed for web etc from the tiff. Raw to fall back on if something happened to the tiff.

I never save tiff ever. It's bloated. Keep my raws with DPP adjustments stored but all original data still intact if I want to return it to the way it came out of the camera. Use .psd for work in progress files. Don't see the point of having a tiff too.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Oct 2012 - 8:12 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.