Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What does one do with PSD files?

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 2:23PM
In my case the R is for really, the A is for argumentative. Dunno what the W is for GrinWink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
12 Oct 2012 3:42PM
I do!
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
12 Oct 2012 3:47PM

Quote:Lightroom can't save the changes that Photoshop makes to the raw files. .

That's not correct in any meaningful way.

When I edit an image in Photoshop from within Lightroom, then the original Raw file appears in my LR Library as, say, DSC_4945.NEF whereas any edits done in CS6 appear in the LR Library as, say, DCS_4945-Edit-Edit.tif

OK, the pedants might say that PS is not actually editing the Raw file. |Strictly speaking that is correct - PS is editing a temporary Tiff that LR has created for the purpose.
12 Oct 2012 4:48PM
You need to read what I said differently.

The Photoshop changes aren't saved (by LR) [in]to the raw files.

When DPP makes changes it saves them inside the actual raw file.

When LR does it it saves in the LR catalog what adjustments are needed to the raw file.

When Photoshop does some work on the image things are different - LR can't just catalogue the changes and a whole new large image file is created and you have two image files to think about where before there was only one.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 5:01PM

Quote:When DPP makes changes it saves them inside the actual raw file.

But I understand that those changes are not read by LR.
12 Oct 2012 5:22PM
They aren't Mike, I wasn't suggesting they are either. Just illustrating that with DPP you can get by with just raw files, with Lightroom you can get by with just raw files (plus backup of your LR catalog) No need for tiff versions. However as soon as you do work in Photoshop you need to create a whole new file in order to save your work. If you're sure you're finished you can output a high res jpeg. If you think you're going to revisit the file in Photoshop you're better off saving a .psd or .tif
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 7:22PM
I always save a tiff of anything I print or that goes on my website.
I am not convinced that raw + Adjustments is a decent archive format.
Using the analogy of baking a cake effectively you are saving the ingredients (raw file) and the recipe(adjustments) but nothing happens till the chef (LR or DPP) interpret them.
New versions of LR may interpret the instructions differently and you can end up with a different print (or a cake that doesn't rise any more).

In addition tiff allows me to print from QImage which seems to give better results than LR.
12 Oct 2012 8:18PM
Never seen a case of a new version of DPP misinterpreting older raw files and nothing to stop me running the older version if it did.

If I have raw plus adjustments I can easily change the white balance, shadows and highlights. Once I turn that into a tiff I've lost loads of information that I can't get back (if your cake's burnt you can't unburn it).

I realise you're saving both, I think it's overkill.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 8:22PM
It's only a tiny bit of extra disk space and I've never had a problem with overkill.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2012 8:33PM
There are so many different ways of doing things and no rules! If it works for lobsterboy, that's all that is necessary.

I like to work from the sensor information each time becaus I never feel I have obtained the best possible result.

The big luxury is that storage is so absurdly cheap that you can work however you wish. If you are unsure, keep it. Having said that, I work the exact opposite way. I'm always reading about photogs with libraries of thousands of pictures.

In 35 years as a pro, covering major stories for national and international publications, book and poster companies, rock stars and glamourous models, I am pushed to find a dozen pictures of which I am truly proud. Why would I keep the ones I am not proud of?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.