Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What does the word "Giclee" actually mean?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keith selmes
13 May 2005 - 2:29 AM

But I think the Mayfair gallery and the linguistic purist have both lost the battle - the word is widely used now for any half decent inkjet print.
The gallery can restrict the type of print they accept, but not the normal use of the word.
On the other hand, 'inkjet' is much more acceptable now, in fact many people now seem to think that 'digital' means 'superior'. So maybe the g word is not really needed.

But aren't they all just photographs ? Or is that a different can of worms ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 May 2005 - 2:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2005 - 2:34 AM

Different can of works Keith. They are all photographs but would you want to part with your hard earned cash for a photo done on a 10 year old inkjet with a tri-colour cartridge and no fade resistance? At least the definition (well the one I saw anyway) specified 8-12 cartridges and archival quality inks.

Ian

keith selmes
13 May 2005 - 2:46 AM

Sorry, that was intended as mildly facetious. I can't really take the subject seriously.

digicammad
13 May 2005 - 2:49 AM

oh I don't know, I can see a niche in Southport for a giclee printing service. lol

keith selmes
13 May 2005 - 3:41 AM

Hmmm. But I feel maybe the south coast is too close to france.
A few years back there was a twinning association at Honiton, in south east Devon. They had the froggies over for a week, and made a do of it.
One enterprising lady put a big sign in her dress shop window

SALE FRANCAISE

Which I believe means DIRTY FRENCHWOMEN.

The french ladies had a grasp of english and a good sense of humour, so it went off alright.
But one very embarassed shopkeeper.

digicammad
13 May 2005 - 3:44 AM

lol, love it.

There is a jeweller in Southport with the name Connard. Robbie and I have a snigger every time we walk past his shop. :0)

keith selmes
13 May 2005 - 4:42 AM

Theres a lot of them around!

digicammad
13 May 2005 - 4:46 AM

No kidding

mack
mack  10290 forum posts United Kingdom
13 May 2005 - 9:10 AM

Quote - Term: Gicle
Gicle fine art print refers to a digital reproduction using state of the art inkjet technology. The name comes from the French word Gicle (pronounced Zhee-Clay) that means fine spray". Not any digital print is a Gicle however, only digital prints that are created on special high resolution printers utilizing specially formulated inks and media under strict printing standards.

I suppose now you will find that the latest printers with multiple cartridges and fine droplets come very close if not the same.

Mack

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
13 May 2005 - 10:27 AM

I'll give you 'close'

keith selmes
13 May 2005 - 11:11 PM

First time I heard about this, the printers were iris, and the specs did not look very good - something like 720dpi and 4 colour dye ink.
Although bare numbers may not be the whole story, and things have moved on, looking at these Iris printers .

But even that was 2 years ago - a long time in inkjet development.
Seems like the goalposts move with the technology.

ellis rowell
14 May 2005 - 12:39 AM

Yes Keith.

Things do move on, most Epson printers are now capable of 2440dpi and some double that. Even laser printers are now capable of 2400dpi at reasonable prices. Where will it end?

AdrianTurner
14 May 2005 - 1:43 AM

A question for those who know

Would a print from an

< Epson 2100 using Epson Utrachrome inks @ 2880dpi on Epson Archival Matt paper >

be considered to be a Gicle print? It seems to fit the criteria set out in a number of definitions I have read but surely there is more to it than that?

Adrian.

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2005 - 1:58 AM

It's easy to read the spec on a desktop and see the dpi figures and then compare them against an Iris machine, but in all honesty, there can be no comparison. The Piezzo head on a a desktop Epson only shares it's name with the head on an Epson wide format printer.

bacchus180
bacchus180  10141 forum posts
14 May 2005 - 3:22 AM

I've got a 4000 pro ...does that mean I'm turning out giclee prints without realising it...? I think the price has just gone up again

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.