Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What filters are in your bag?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    scootphoto
    22 Nov 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hi just wondering what filters everyone carries with them when out and about? Are screw on better or the slide in filter sets? For ease of use i'd say screw ins would be better but is it possible to get all screw ins? This is what I was thinking about -

The polarizer filter, is it a must but what one as some of them are rather expensive?

A set of ND filters? worth spending more for a slightly decent pair?

I actually fancy a 10 stop for playing about at the beach as I really like the long exposure shots which I've seen, anyone like or have one they recommend?

Warm-up filters worth buying?

Skylight filters, are they basically just for protecting the lens for scratches etc?

Thanks Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Nov 2013 - 10:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Nov 2013 - 6:00 AM

None.

kaybee
    kaybee  103793 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2013 - 6:15 AM

Cokin P holders, assorted NDs (full and grads), polarisers.
    All lenses are fitted with UV filters for protection of the lens glass (and I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference for shots with and without these days)

TTT
    TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
    23 Nov 2013 - 7:50 AM

10 stoppers are great for long exposures and a Pol for reflections the rest PS can sort out.....................

TTT
    TTT  12559 forum posts Germany
    23 Nov 2013 - 7:52 AM

Forgot I use a vari ND for movies..........

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2013 - 8:23 AM

Screw in filters are not really suitable for graduated filters, like Neutral Density.
    You really need the slot in type so that you can move the " graduated " section around to cover the specific area you want to darken.

Back in film days I used warm up filters most of the time, even graduated ND / warm up but now with digital and software I have not used them anymore.
    So probably not worth buying warm up filters these days.

Yes, a polarising filter is a must have.

Most of the time I use screw in type as I can then still have the lens hood attached to reduce any flare etc. but if you also want to use a Neutral Density with the polariser then you will need the slot in type.

The screw in ones from Hoya are a reasonable price and will need one for each filter thread size.
    LEE's slot in polarisers do appear to cost quite a bit these days but you will be able to use it, combined with LEE's filter thread size adaptors ( which you will need anyway for their filter holders ) on all your lenses.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96276 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2013 - 9:29 AM

Quote: ..use a Neutral Density with the polariser

Of course I meant a ND graduated.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114491 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2013 - 9:39 AM

Have a look a the old Cokin N system over the Lee stuff, because as you've already found out Lee can be very expensive. Them take a look at the Kood Circular Polariser which fits the N system and are about 30 to buy. Take no notice of the pros, purists and the brand snobs when it comes to the Lee filters, yes they are good but so are their prices and unless you're using really expensive wide angle lenses, the Cokin N system will be more than sufficient for you needs. Other than the Cir Polariser, I'd add a few Neutral Density Grads maybe a 10 stopper for really long exposures as someone has already mentioned, anything else can be done whilst processing, all this if you're a canny buyer should cost no more than 100 buying mid range quality kit. By all means but into the Lee system if you can afford it, there is no doubt it's good quality kit, but if you're on a budget or you only intend to use the filters occasionally go with the N system as I say.

As for Skylight/UV filters, they do have uses when shooting on hazy days, but as you've already worked out for yourself most folk keep screw on ones on the end of their lenses for extra protection, I won't get into the arguments about this, it's pretty much a personal thing and how much value you put on your expensive lenses........Do a search within these forums if you want to read those arguments Tongue

MrGoatsmilk
    23 Nov 2013 - 11:05 AM

Cokin holder but used with Kood filters ND's and a grad. Cheap as chips and been great

Dave_Canon
    23 Nov 2013 - 11:48 AM

I have no filters on my lenses normally. I carry a UV or plain glass filter which I could use for protection if in a hazardous environment (never felt the need to use this yet). I also carry a polarising filter (occasional use) and a 6 stop ND which again has only been used occasionally. I do have other filters from the past (film era) but have no need of them now so do not carry them. So 99% of my shots will be without any filter.

Dave

Newdevonian
    23 Nov 2013 - 1:29 PM

Polariser in 2 sizes, 77mm & 52mm

scootphoto
    23 Nov 2013 - 7:23 PM

Ahh great, thanks for all the suggestions as this will help a lot hopefully, clearly I don't know what I was writing when I wrote about screw in ND filters, not sure they actually exist, maybe not gradual ones anyway Grin

Quote: Screw in filters are not really suitable for graduated filters, like Neutral Density.

This is
    Quote: All lenses are fitted with UV filters for protection of the lens glass (and I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference for shots with and without these days)

I had no idea of this.

I'm going to check out the screw in ones from Hoya since you mentioned the words
    Quote: reasonable price

Wink

The Kood system that fits on the Cokin N system seems to be good value for money that's for sure, I did have before I moved the starter Lee Kit but as I pretty much sold my worldly possessions to move halfway round the country for a year I need new ones. So thanks for those recommendations.

What is very interesting to hear is the amount of people that use them and don't, well from this thread is about 50/50. I guess I'd like to take more usable photos directly from the camera without having to tweak the sky on PS or Lightrooms, that's my goal anyway.

Thanks Smile

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7744 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Nov 2013 - 7:52 PM

Circ Pol, 10 stop and a couple of Nd Grads only

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.