Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What flash for Nikon d1x please.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    UrbaneMagick
    26 Feb 2012 - 7:52 PM

Hi folks,

got some good advice from you guys last time reference lenses ( big thankyou!!)

What affordable flash should I buy for my Nikon D1x?

It's for taking band & club photographs(permission given).

Thanks folks,

Gareth.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Feb 2012 - 7:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    26 Feb 2012 - 8:17 PM

Most of the Nikon flashes will work with the D1x. If you want to spend as little as possible but get something powerful, check out the SB28DX. A nice one should be available for 2 figures.

If you also want to use the speedlight with modern bodies, you'll need an SB800 or SB900 but these will cost a lot more.

UrbaneMagick
    26 Feb 2012 - 8:20 PM

Thankyou William, much appreciated..looking now Smile

User_Removed
    26 Feb 2012 - 10:18 PM

Also..... any of the current "Nikon Fit" flashes from Nissin and Metz will be fine. Hsve a look at the Premier Inks adverts in any of the main UK photography mags.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    27 Feb 2012 - 10:06 AM

One thing to remember is that a flash will generally ruin all the ambiance of a gig or club setting unless balanced against the ambient light.

thewilliam
    27 Feb 2012 - 10:40 AM

Agreed: the beauty of the Nikon speedlights is that it's easy to balance flash against ambient. For this reson, with the exception of one Metz 45CT, all our flashguns are Nikon.

We have to buy new whenever we get a new Nikon camera body because old speedlights never seem to work properly with modern cameras.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 27 Feb 2012 - 10:44 AM
    User_Removed
    27 Feb 2012 - 11:04 AM

Quote:

We have to buy new whenever we get a new Nikon camera body because old speedlights never seem to work properly with modern cameras.

The old SB600 I first bought to use with a D80 still worked perfectly with a D300 and then a D3s. If you go back to flashguns from pre-digital days, then you do need to check that the voltage passing through the hotshoe won't fry the electronic circuits of the camera.

thewilliam
    2 Mar 2012 - 11:40 PM

Ace Cameras in Bath has a couple of SB28 speedlights in nice condition and at a decent price.

UrbaneMagick
    3 Mar 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi William,
    ahh thankyou..very much appreciated.
    .....I'm thinking of just whacking the ISO down for next weeks Space Ritual gig & seeing how it comes out...as I;ver left/am leaving it a bit late for the flash /getting to grips with the flash now.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.