Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

What Flash would you recomend for a canon eos5d

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gravedigger
20 May 2013 - 9:22 PM

Before i start..you are dealing with a complete beginer so be gentle and reply(if any) in plain english...i have a canon eos5d and want to take photos in doors or in places that have limited light..i bought a secound hand flash unit...which is not the best but its works sometimes..its from jessops..cost 35.00..why can i hear gasps!!..i want to have photos i dont have to heavly edit in photo program that seem to cost a packet..just something simple...what do you guys recomend i go for...sorry if this is not the right place to try..i have only just sign up to ephotozine

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 May 2013 - 9:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56293 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 9:50 PM

I would go for a Yongnuo 560-II: they are by all accounts a clone of the Canon 580 exII and cost only 50. I have 4 and think they are great value for money.

You can add a flash bracket for anything from 20 upwards and a ETTL flashcord for under 20. The there are any of a number of flash modifiers but I would start with a Stofen diffuser and something like a Rogue Flashbender (there are cheaper clones of this as well).

mikehit
20 May 2013 - 9:52 PM

PS - If you intend to do a lot of flash photography you would do well to consider buying rechargable batteries. I have bought sets of the Sanyo Eneloops which are pretty much the benchmark, but I hvae heard good reports of 7day shop's own brand.

gravedigger
20 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for that..i have read it twice starting to sink in!!..will trawel the shops looking for this..or can you recomend where to buy..i think a flash bracket would be a good buy.thanks again

mikehit
20 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

I bought my flashes from Amazon: I have not seen them in shops but that may not be saying a lot considering the rarity of high street shops nowadays!

collywobles
20 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

580EX is the only one to buy. Non branded ones will not be fully compatible. If you cannot afford it now save up for it it will the best choice in the long run.

mikehit
20 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Quote: Non branded ones will not be fully compatible

At 10 times the price.....it all depends what the OP wants from the flash and if the 'non campatible' elements are important. The only thing missing from the Yongnuo is the ability to act as master for a multiple flash set-up, and for the price of it it would make a great slave unit if he upgrades to the 580EXII in the future.
I am usually a 'brand' junkiebut the Yongnuo is so good I am happy using it.

gravedigger
20 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

thanks guys..can see where collywobles is coming from..but i am not going to be using multi flash systems...well not till i can "walk"..so i think i will give amazon a look tomorrow..will i get all the bits you suggested from them mikehit...also saving up for stuff is not what my wifes good at...unless its a new handbag!!

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Quote: 580EX is the only one to buy.

Can you expand on this Colin?
Where does the 430EX and the 600EX fit into your vision?

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Or A Metz Or A Nissin....Some say they are better than the 580EX, That said it seems 580EX's are no longer available from some suppliers, Not even on back order.....Sad

Yongnuo on the other hand are available, They even do a full eTTL model for a few quid more than the manual version, A bit of black tape on the name and no one will notice the difference, Except your bank manager......Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 21 May 2013 - 12:00 AM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'd check the youngnuo 560s

I think they're manual not ETTL

is it the 565 which is ETTL ?

after seeing over 1000 of flashes smash on the floor in 2012 (its windy in leeds.... ) I got a few yongnuos to replace them (as a test) and am quite taken by their reliability and simplicity

collywobles
21 May 2013 - 8:12 AM

OK first I'm a bit out of date with the 580EX which is what I use, and a 550EX.

However, the 430EX is a great flashgun but the (now) 600EX being top of the Canon range is much better in that it is capable of being both a Master and a Slave unit, the flash actually zooms when used with the appropriate lenses (L) and its fully compatible with your camera. It can be used in Strobe mode..

Cannot say anything about Yougnuo, no experience with them, but I believe its best to use dedicated equipment and although its normally much more expensive its always fully compatible and the quality is generally outstanding and you never regret the decision. If you cannot afford it then that's a different case.

mikehit
21 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

You are right, Ade, the Yongnuo 560-II is manual only - I was thinking of the 565. I thought I would be flummoxed by manual flash but it is much easier than I thought.

gravedigger - I bought my flash cord from amazon and already had a flashbracket from donkey's years ago, but everything else you can get from Amazon as well. In fact, I have just taken a punt on this set of flash modifiers (still in transit) as they seemed a good bargain compared to the usual Honi, Rogue etc:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Walimex-Pro-Speedlite-Accessory-Reflector/dp/B008PQE4Q2/...

Last Modified By mikehit at 21 May 2013 - 10:43 AM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
21 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

@ Gravedigger, also have a look at radio trigger/receiver systems, allowing you to fire your speedlite off-camera.
This saves having to set up master/slave settings, although the cheap but nonetheless reliable trigger/receivers like RF-602 by Yongnuo work in manual mode only.
Highly recommended.

gravedigger
21 May 2013 - 3:57 PM

thanks guys...ok amazon here i come..i think the 56o-11. Yongnuo..look for a flash cord,.. flash bracket..rechargeable battries..look at set of flash modifiers..trigger/receiver RF-602 by yongnuo
have i missed anything!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.