Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What flashes can be used with what camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    the_drewster
    17 Jun 2007 - 9:02 PM

Hi,

Are the hotshoes on an slr/dslr standard across camera manufactures? My dad had an exteranl flash that he used with his Canon A1 many many many moons ago, and I was wondering if it would work on my Pentax k10?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jun 2007 - 9:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2007 - 9:14 PM

Early cameras yes to some extent, Digital SLR's NO, The pins are quite specific, Using an unknown quantity older flash unit from a different maker, Could damage your camera.

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72500 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    17 Jun 2007 - 9:48 PM

...Along with the above, the "trigger" voltage of older flashguns can be damagingly way higher than modern DSLRs can accept - in many cases the camera can 'tolerate' something like, say, 6 volts but older flashguns can be many times this amount. It's possible to check it, but given the "brand specific" clash that 'cameracat' mentions as well - it's really not worth it....

the_drewster
    17 Jun 2007 - 9:52 PM

Fine, I won't risk it, Many thanks

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2007 - 9:57 PM

There is `Wein Safe Sync`

here
    Ken

Last Modified By KenTaylor at 17 Jun 2007 - 9:58 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2007 - 10:55 PM

The Wein safe is great for trigger voltage issues, but you will not have any camera control over the gun, it will have to be set manually, ie no iTTL or TTL matching, having said that you could survive on manual, but the last time I looked the Wien Safe was around 40 + quid.

MMMmmm see what I mean your well on your way to buying a match item, Like a Metz OR Sigma, OR indeed the Pentax own models, although these are a tad expensive.

Alexcoz
    Alexcoz  7
    2 Jul 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hello to all of you!

Last week i acquired my second DSLR (KM Dynax 7D/Tamron 18-250mm travel zoom lens!), is my first one.

Regarding which strobes can be use 100% safely...if you really (As me...per example!), don't need a "Dedicated" one...any Sunpak like I own per example AF-443/Auto-36 or newer will be 100% usable...with No problem of melting the internally contacts around the viewfinder, also Metz ones with AF possibility (Will be disable...with any DSLR camera of course!), but had the Thyristor "Auto" eye...which at "X" setting or "M" one you be sure that your selected Shutter speed is at least 1/50seg ...the F aperture with an a 36 guide number, will be around F: 5,6 at 200 ISO. so it;s excellent!. Look for an a second hand/used strobe.

Hope that this advise will help to all of you!

Peace,

Alex!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.