Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

What flashes can be used with what camera?

17 Jun 2007 9:02PM
Hi,

Are the hotshoes on an slr/dslr standard across camera manufactures? My dad had an exteranl flash that he used with his Canon A1 many many many moons ago, and I was wondering if it would work on my Pentax k10?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
17 Jun 2007 9:14PM
Early cameras yes to some extent, Digital SLR's NO, The pins are quite specific, Using an unknown quantity older flash unit from a different maker, Could damage your camera.
17 Jun 2007 9:48PM
...Along with the above, the "trigger" voltage of older flashguns can be damagingly way higher than modern DSLRs can accept - in many cases the camera can 'tolerate' something like, say, 6 volts but older flashguns can be many times this amount. It's possible to check it, but given the "brand specific" clash that 'cameracat' mentions as well - it's really not worth it....
17 Jun 2007 9:52PM
Fine, I won't risk it, Many thanks
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2007 9:57PM
There is `Wein Safe Sync`

here
Ken
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
17 Jun 2007 10:55PM
The Wein safe is great for trigger voltage issues, but you will not have any camera control over the gun, it will have to be set manually, ie no iTTL or TTL matching, having said that you could survive on manual, but the last time I looked the Wien Safe was around 40 + quid.

MMMmmm see what I mean your well on your way to buying a match item, Like a Metz OR Sigma, OR indeed the Pentax own models, although these are a tad expensive.
Alexcoz 7 13
2 Jul 2007 11:32AM
Hello to all of you!

Last week i acquired my second DSLR (KM Dynax 7D/Tamron 18-250mm travel zoom lens!), is my first one.

Regarding which strobes can be use 100% safely...if you really (As me...per example!), don't need a "Dedicated" one...any Sunpak like I own per example AF-443/Auto-36 or newer will be 100% usable...with No problem of melting the internally contacts around the viewfinder, also Metz ones with AF possibility (Will be disable...with any DSLR camera of course!), but had the Thyristor "Auto" eye...which at "X" setting or "M" one you be sure that your selected Shutter speed is at least 1/50seg ...the F aperture with an a 36 guide number, will be around F: 5,6 at 200 ISO. so it;s excellent!. Look for an a second hand/used strobe.

Hope that this advise will help to all of you!

Peace,

Alex!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.