Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What gear?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Meheecho
    Meheecho  1275 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Feb 2013 - 3:05 PM

Following from my recent post about distance buying, this is probably the worst thing to ask-- what camera and lenses should I be considering? I am still in the early stage of photography but getting reasonable comments from my uploads which are varied in content { please see PF } and I would like to continue in a similar vein with maybe some bird/wildlife and macro content. I realise that buying is largely a personal preference thing but would appreciate any advice.
    At present I have a Canon 450 D and 18-55mm, 50mm and 75-3000mm zoom.
    Cheers
    Steve

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Feb 2013 - 3:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

IanBurton
    IanBurton  465 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2013 - 4:39 PM

From the gear you have listed I say you're pretty well covered, but I suppose you should be asking yourself why do you think you should be considering another camera and lenses? Your PF is really good and I don't see what immediate impact a different camera and lens would bring.
    You could maybe use a macro lens, but they can prove to be expensive and would only consider purchasing such a lens if that's something you're serious about. Alternatively try some close-up filters to get a taste of it. I used to use the Canon 450D (still have it) coupled with sigma 10-20 lens and the sigma 24-70, in my opinion the 450D is a decent enough camera and IQ is excellent with the right lens.

I would stick with what you've got at present until you know exactly what it is you want to achieve and with what hardware. Maybe looking at techniques and processing before considering the above would have more benefit.

All the best,

Ian.

Meheecho
    28 Feb 2013 - 4:56 PM

Thanks for your reply Ian --very helpful to know that my present set-up is as good as that Will heed your advice and maybe consider another lens which would be a cheaper option. That will please my financial advisor too ( her indoors!!!) also thanks for the PF comment -- reassuring to know I'm on the right track
    Cheers
    Steve

Newdevonian
    28 Feb 2013 - 4:59 PM

Ian Burton has good advice. Don't forget you want to be a photographer. Just don't become a gear collector. My only suggestion at this stage if you need and can justify it, is a tripod.

Meheecho
    28 Feb 2013 - 5:02 PM

Thanks Chris-- yes I have a tripod and remote shutter release so I can now focus-- no pun intended- on the techniques as opposed to equipment

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114492 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2013 - 6:34 PM

Quote: At present I have a Canon 450 D and 18-55mm, 50mm and 75-3000mm zoom

A 75-3000mm lens, I bet that cost you a few bob Wink

All good advice given so far, I just couldn't resist having a little giggle at the typo Smile

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 73294 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2013 - 6:37 PM

I would second Ian Burtons advice.
    I have a 400D & a 5D & use both regularly. To be honest the only real advantage of the 5D is its superior low light performance with a couple of extra ISO stops. The extra pixels come in useful when I want to crop an image but most of the time the 400D is perfectly OK for what I do.
    Stick with your 450D at the moment until you find there are situations where it can't give you the performance you're looking for. That is the time to look at an upgrade.

Meheecho
    28 Feb 2013 - 6:48 PM

Thanks folks much appreciated-- yes the typo is a real howler AdeGrinGrin

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.